How much would you pay to upgrade.

josey1964

Hi, we won an Eastbound transatlantic on the QM2 in June. The cabin is an inside basic. We have been in contact with the agent to see about an upgrade to an assigned sheltered balcony.

Question how much extra would you think is a reasonable cost for this upgrade. Just want to have a price in my head when they contact me tomorrow.

Many thanks, Joanne

I would suggest going on the Cunard site and doing a dummy booking first for the cabin category you have now and then for the sheltered balcony location you want. A little subtraction should give you an idea of what the going rate is.

We have received a number of sale prices for next year's TA's so there may be some bargains out there.

As to how much it's 'worth' well that's up to you. We usually book an obstructed view balcony cabin on deck 8 for our transatlantics (we've done 10). There is nothing to see out in the ocean really but we like the sunlight coming in from the balcony. Also, some of them do have views in between the life boats. Good luck.

I think it's all but impossible to say how much one should/could/would pay for an upgrade, since we all place our own value on our accommodation choice.

We are in the category of those that WILL pay a reasonable amount. I think the post above is absolutely right; do a dummy booking and see what you find. Good luck, I hope you are successful.

If it is the one on June 10th, at present the difference in the lowest price of an inside and a balcony is around £200 pp. So it could cost you £400 for two of you. On P&O we have had similar upgrades offered, and they cost £50, it all depends how the cruise is selling, but generally they seem to charge the actual difference, and sometimes make a charge for doing it.

In the end it will cost you loads more, we won a cruise on QE2 in 1991 and were hooked, and I would hate to think how much we have spent on cruising since!

Well the good thing about Cunard is that whether your inside or balcony, both are good cabins and your treated the same as you have access to the wonderful Britannia Restaurant on board plus all those other great venues like the Commodore Club. Have a great voyage which ever you choose.

Myself, I would not pay for an upgrade. Because if you win something, there's no point if it's costing you money, because that means you have not really won anything.

For example, a couple of years ago I won two tickets (entered a competition on UKGold's website) to an exhibition at the NEC. It turned out the tickets were around £15 each. Then I added up what it was going to cost me to go (petrol, parking or train) and it was way more than the value of tickets. So I chucked them in the bin. Why ? Because my "win" was going to cost me a load of money - so that's more of a loss than a win !

I'm not saying chuck your QM2 tickets in the bin of course !

Myself, I would not pay for an upgrade. Because if you win something, there's no point if it's costing you money, because that means you have not really won anything.

For example, a couple of years ago I won two tickets (entered a competition on UKGold's website) to an exhibition at the NEC. It turned out the tickets were around £15 each. Then I added up what it was going to cost me to go (petrol, parking or train) and it was way more than the value of tickets. So I chucked them in the bin. Why ? Because my "win" was going to cost me a load of money - so that's more of a loss than a win !

I'm not saying chuck your QM2 tickets in the bin of course !

You can always give them to ToadOToadHall :D

As to how much it's 'worth' well that's up to you. We usually book an obstructed view balcony cabin on deck 8 for our transatlantics (we've done 10). There is nothing to see out in the ocean really but we like the sunlight coming in from the balcony. Also, some of them do have views in between the life boats. Good luck.
We also tend to book an obstructed balcony cabin for TA crossings. In addition to saving a little money, the location of those cabins is mid-ship which saves some walking and seems to help reduce motion in rough seas.

Hi, we won an Eastbound transatlantic on the QM2 in June. The cabin is an inside basic. We have been in contact with the agent to see about an upgrade to an assigned sheltered balcony.

Question how much extra would you think is a reasonable cost for this upgrade. Just want to have a price in my head when they contact me tomorrow.

Many thanks, Joanne

Me, personally? $100 per person.

We had an inside "basic" last month and it was sufficient space for a husband and wife, once we were unpacked and our luggage was stowed under the bed. Put it this way: we could've purchased an upgrade to a balcony cabin for $250 per person and I don't think that would have been worth the money.