Car park ..do the right thing .

kalos

I remember a few weeks ago on a recent thread one poster wrote ...

"I park in the back streets of Southampton, It's cheaper."

Watching TV this morning ,this was one of the headlines making the news....

Ok this is Luton but it could be anywhere.

Don't know about you guys but I'd rather pay my cruise or airport parking than come back off holiday to this.:eek:

Edited by kalos

Me too. It does cost a lot to park anywhere, but for peace of mind it is worthwhile. I remember our first cruise my husband was not happy at having to hand the keys over and still isn't entirely sure about it, the first thing he does when returning to the car us to check the mileage.

I would not have any peace of mind if I did something like that - wouldn't enjoy the cruise for worrying what was happening to my car. I know CPS is expensive but we always use it for the peace of mind it brings us. Never had the slightest problem with CPS and it makes a fantastic start to the cruise - absolutely no comparison to the heaving throng and endless waiting at Gatwick.

Totally agree with everyone. We always leave the car at a hotel as park of a package whether we are flying or cruising. Even then we are edgy if we have to leave it in a hotel car park rather than a deal where it is moved off site.

I watched the video and they said parking at Luton was £25 for the first day and £21 per day thereafter. Is that correct? It sounds like a horrendous amount of money to pay.

I thought that but they did go onto say you could book in advance for lower prices.

Just did a random search on Google (From 11:00 AM on Fri, Dec 8, 2017 until 12:00 PM on Fri, Dec 15, 2017)

Drop your car at the Short Term car park and it's just a 7-minute walk to check-in. Cost= £54.00

Works out around £7.71 per day, so not that bad .

I thought that but they did go onto say you could book in advance for lower prices.

Just did a random search on Google (From 11:00 AM on Fri, Dec 8, 2017 until 12:00 PM on Fri, Dec 15, 2017)

Drop your car at the Short Term car park and it's just a 7-minute walk to check-in. Cost= £54.00

Works out around £7.71 per day, so not that bad .

Still not cheap though. Its around £50 for 2 weeks at East Midlands.

I can perfectly understand and indeed sympathise with the frustration of the locals and we always pay for official car parking at airports and CPS at the port, that said the people vandalising these cars are committing a crime, plain and simple. The locals are clearly turning a blind eye but what happens when one of their cars, or a visitor to their homes car is mistaken for one of these on the cheap parkers and vandalised?

If the cars are road taxed and insured then they are legally able to park there if they are not causing an obstruction.

Where do you draw the line with car parking? Friends of ours live near a school, they knew the school was there when they bought the house but it does not stop them complaining about the traffic and parent parking on a regular basis.

Common sense dictates that if you buy a house near an airport, a hospital, a railway station etc that there will always be someone who will avoid parking charges by parking on the street there. The Council will make it a resident parking area but at a cost.

Being annoyed is no excuse for the criminal act of destroying a car which is legally parked.

If a car is taxed and insured it can be parked anywhere that is public highway within the restrictions which apply.

Vigilantism isn’t the way forwards.

Too many people think they own the road as well as their house. If they have an issue go to the police and Council.

I can’t understand anybody leaving a car worth thousands of pounds anywhere that it can be damaged for the sake of maybe 50 or 100 pounds

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not everyone has a garage. My car spends a lot of time on the street; though I admit I'd be happier leaving it for a fortnight on my own street than in a strange town.

Most people on this forum would not leave a car parked on the road in a street in a suburb of Southampton. There are services which match householders with parkers. Here you leave your can in the drive of a house and pay the householder accordingly. This seems to me a totally different approach. I would be happy with this if we did not always take the train.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not everyone has a garage. My car spends a lot of time on the street; though I admit I'd be happier leaving it for a fortnight on my own street than in a strange town.

I didn’t mean parking all the time in the street I only meant when going on holiday [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would not be happy leaving a car on a random street and going off on holiday. Imagine if you got back from a cruise with all your luggage and the car had been stolen!

I don't condone the damage at Luton but do have sympathy for local residents. Luton Airport has expanded exponentially without parking facilities keeping pace. They have now opened a new multi-storey car park there but as it is the closest to the terminal building it is the most expensive. Car parking at Luton Airport is some of the most expensive airport parking in the UK - and it is probably the worst airport in the uk (and I do say that from experience!).

Too many people think they own the road as well as their house.

Indeed, my neighbour across the road for one who, despite having a generous driveway, parks on road and, when he moves his car, puts his wheelie bin there to prevent anyone else parking. On the odd occasion that parking is difficult, if someone parks in "his" space he, and the other occupants (not sure if they're his children or what) sandwich you in so you can only extract your car with lots of manoeuvring.

Indeed, my neighbour across the road for one who, despite having a generous driveway, parks on road and, when he moves his car, puts his wheelie bin there to prevent anyone else parking. On the odd occasion that parking is difficult, if someone parks in "his" space he, and the other occupants (not sure if they're his children or what) sandwich you in so you can only extract your car with lots of manoeuvring.

Seem like too much trouble to me. I guess parking is becoming more difficult as households have more cars. Some Victorian terrace houses must be the most difficult as each house has a small frontage and no off street parking. Schools, airports, railway stations, offices and hospitals must all add to the difficulty.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thankfully, we live in a very wide road with plenty of space to park and most houses have their own drives/off-street parking spaces. There are far more people parking on the road now, though, than when we first came to live here 20-odd years ago. particularly since the council made parking in the Victorian terraces/narrow streets around the main railway station permit only, driving all the on-street parkers from there to areas not requiring a permit. Being a 10-minute walk from one station and 15-20 minutes from the mainline station into London, our previously looked-down-upon area is now very popular. ;)