On board QV to the Caribbean

LadyL1

At the gin and fizz bar they do an excellent G&T with the Australian Four Pillars "Bloody Shiraz" gin.

Comes from a boutique distillery in Healsville, Victoria, a few hours drive from Melbourne

We left Antigua for our journey home on Saturday evening, and since our departure the sea has been like glass, as we make headway at just over 17 knots, although the wind seems to be a little stronger this afternoon. The atmosphere on the ship has changed as it always does with the long, lazy sea days, rather than the continuous ports of call.

Last night was another formal evening, but we ate in the Verandah. I am well aware that some think that the price hike is unreasonable, but we feel the service and quality of the food justifies this. Think top quality major city restaurant. When you compare $17.50 for eating at a speciality venue prepared in the lido (which also serves a very pleasant dinner) it seems a more than fair price.

Now, I must mention a young man who is DJ Andy. It is possible his origins were in the Caribbean, but he is notable by his outrageous evening jackets which he wears with such panache to coincide with the themed evenings! He hosts in the Queens Room when the band is not playing and certainly gives something to lift these voids. He is charming and popular, and a great addition to the ship, so do look out for him if you are travelling in the near future.

Captain Hall is leaving the ship after the following Christmas markets cruise, and rejoins in March to bring the QV home from Ft Lauderdale. I am afraid I have not found out who will be replacing him for the trip around South America.

As for the refit, it is mostly what was expected. Most will probably agree that the visual appearance of the ship has been compromised for a few more staterooms. This however has made for the wonderful rear deck 9, which is so very popular. I think it is a shame that not all the carpets were replaced, as it is very noticeable and some will soon be looking tired. Whoever designed the new lay along the side of the BC restaurant should be shot, because of the alignment being wrong. We have not used the refreshment tray very much as still quite happy to order from room service, but it is a nice addition, and will no doubt be welcomed by most UK guests who have a passion for a cup of tea.

Nikki Chapman, the TV presenter gave her first lecture this morning to a packed theatre, and was greatly appreciated by her audience.

Roscoe: if you are reading this, we had a fab day in Antigua on the Segways! Hooked to at least one per trip after Columbia!

Next stop is Praia da Vitoria in the Azores, which will be first time for us.

Roscoe: if you are reading this, we had a fab day in Antigua on the Segways! Hooked to at least one per trip after Columbia!

Next stop is Praia da Vitoria in the Azores, which will be first time for us.

Enjoying the updates thanks...and yes...reading and hanging onto every word!

The Commodore is taking the Queen around South America..he has had a lot of experience around that continent so it will be a great trip.

I think Andy sounds like competition...and as for the joys of the Segway...i still have some aches and pains but it was one of the memorable experiences form the WC last year. I think we spent the hole time laughing. Keep up the fun...and dont be tempted to race segways....those cobbled streets can be treacherous!

After 5 days at sea we arrived at the beautiful Azorean island of Terceira. It is actually a public holiday but some of the shops were open in this quaint little town of Praia de Vitoria, which is about 10 minutes from the port on the shuttle bus. We have had glorious sunshine and warmth with a gentle Atlantic breeze. Just heaven for December!

Our journey here was quite uneventful, the seas creating a constant roll on the ship for the past 48 hours. Captain Hall advised us the the winds reached Force 8 one night. During this time we only saw a few sea birds and flying fish, and 2 passing ships.

This journey has produced a few notable characters. There is an avid photographer who stands for hours on the promenade deck and has taken some amazing photos. Others have their eccentricities which have certainly caused a few chuckles, but they are tales that are unfair to post. Sadly, as always there are the complainers: we have noticed one couple who have had at least 4 different tables in the dining room at late sitting. The table behind us, seems to have a constant transition of guests apart from 1 couple.

The lido window that was smashed during the storm of our outward journey, remains taped and covered (think of a crazed car windscreen). I suppose that will be fixed in Southampton. The QV still looks quite resplendent on the exterior since her sprucing up and painting during the refit.

A few of the evening acts in the theatre have been pronounced as dire (fortunately we missed these as not great theatre goers) and yet again Roy Walker is scheduled for tonight. I am sure a little searching could find some new faces/talent or acts with a modern undertone. On a very positive note for us, we have light jazz this evening with the Royal Court Theatre Orchestra performing in the Commodore Club. We have spoken to many who miss jazz in the Chart Room. There is a good soloist jazz guitarist on board who plays in the Yacht Club and around the ship, but it is not the same as a band.

Nicki Chapman (UK television presenter) has twice lectured to a packed theatre, and we have the pleasure of being able to see her again on Sunday. The music historian is excellent, and appears to be appreciated by his audience. The Captain is also due to do a Q&A slot with Sally Sagoe which I am sure will be well attended as he appears to be very well liked by the pax, of which there are just under 2000 and not a single child.

For those of you who are reading this and either doing the short markets or Christmas cruise, you have so much to look forward to. The food has been of high quality, and the afternoon teas in the Queens Room have seen amazing cakes beautifully presented. The scones are as good as ever. It is going to be hard getting off in Southampton Tuesday morning!

So now it is the last 3 sea days, with Sunday predicted to be the roughest with up to 7 metre waves. This will please our table companions immensely, but for others this could be challenging. The joys of sea travel!

Thanks for the updates and thanks for taking the time to post your experiences from this voyage here. I'm glad to see QV is actually heading back to Southampton. Earlier today, the marine traffic web site was reporting your next destination as Tubarao, Brazil! That would have been quite a detour, but it's all sorted now.

Regards, John

After 5 days at sea we arrived at the beautiful Azorean island of Terceira. It is actually a public holiday but some of the shops were open in this quaint little town of Praia de Vitoria, which is about 10 minutes from the port on the shuttle bus. We have had glorious sunshine and warmth with a gentle Atlantic breeze. Just heaven for December!

Our journey here was quite uneventful, the seas creating a constant roll on the ship for the past 48 hours. Captain Hall advised us the the winds reached Force 8 one night. During this time we only saw a few sea birds and flying fish, and 2 passing ships.

This journey has produced a few notable characters. There is an avid photographer who stands for hours on the promenade deck and has taken some amazing photos. Others have their eccentricities which have certainly caused a few chuckles, but they are tales that are unfair to post. Sadly, as always there are the complainers: we have noticed one couple who have had at least 4 different tables in the dining room at late sitting. The table behind us, seems to have a constant transition of guests apart from 1 couple.

The lido window that was smashed during the storm of our outward journey, remains taped and covered (think of a crazed car windscreen). I suppose that will be fixed in Southampton. The QV still looks quite resplendent on the exterior since her sprucing up and painting during the refit.

A few of the evening acts in the theatre have been pronounced as dire (fortunately we missed these as not great theatre goers) and yet again Roy Walker is scheduled for tonight. I am sure a little searching could find some new faces/talent or acts with a modern undertone. On a very positive note for us, we have light jazz this evening with the Royal Court Theatre Orchestra performing in the Commodore Club. We have spoken to many who miss jazz in the Chart Room. There is a good soloist jazz guitarist on board who plays in the Yacht Club and around the ship, but it is not the same as a band.

Nicki Chapman (UK television presenter) has twice lectured to a packed theatre, and we have the pleasure of being able to see her again on Sunday. The music historian is excellent, and appears to be appreciated by his audience. The Captain is also due to do a Q&A slot with Sally Sagoe which I am sure will be well attended as he appears to be very well liked by the pax, of which there are just under 2000 and not a single child.

For those of you who are reading this and either doing the short markets or Christmas cruise, you have so much to look forward to. The food has been of high quality, and the afternoon teas in the Queens Room have seen amazing cakes beautifully presented. The scones are as good as ever. It is going to be hard getting off in Southampton Tuesday morning!

So now it is the last 3 sea days, with Sunday predicted to be the roughest with up to 7 metre waves. This will please our table companions immensely, but for others this could be challenging. The joys of sea travel!

Glad to hear the food and afternoon tea is great, I will be on the Christmas markets cruise, and cannot wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

oh come on!!...you know you want to....

glad you had a great trip...thanks for the updates on our ship....best regards Roscoe

We have had the Captain’s noon pronouncement and he has promised us a Force 10 tonight! At present the sea is already very angry but we have a following wind: it will certainly give us a more bumpy ride as it turns and becomes a northerly! Last night after dinner we were still able to take a turn around the promenade without collecting shawls or coats, but there has been a notable drop in temperature and the Caribbean now seems a lifetime away.

It is now past 2.00pm, the conditions have worsened and the Captain has just announced winds are 70 knots in this current squall, and we have a considerable list to starboard which is being adjusted. What fun! Not so in the restaurant for the staff where we have witnessed flying and smashed crockery.

Last night we went to the theatre as it was rumoured there was to be a very good act. In fact it was a four man band, “the Rewind Project”, members being of Moody Blues and 10cc. Those of a certain age will no doubt recollect these names. By the end of the show the packed theatre was in melt down, everyone standing or dancing, even those in the boxes. Has the Queen Victoria witnessed anything like this before? Well, certainly not when I have been on board. The encore calls were continuous; perhaps this was QV’s own mini Glastonbury!!! Sally Sagoe advised us they would be all night in the Queens Room, tomorrow. This could be a fitting end to this wonderful trip.

So tonight it is the last formal evening of 6, and to be The Roaring Twenties. With the ship moving so considerably it will be interesting to see how many make the restaurant (the little white bags very evident once again).

The Gingerbread Village is not out yet, but is almost ready, as my husband heard from one of the chefs. Rather a shame as they are such culinary works of art, I would have enjoyed seeing this year’s offering.

We have seen on the news the footage of snow around the country, and the threat of more to come. It seems some are expecting difficult journeys home, which is not what one wants. Never mind, I am sure we will enjoy the last few days of being pampered.

Thanks for a positive review LadyL1. I too was on this cruise ( we may have even met up in the ballroom too ?) I have to agree with you, the guy in the ballroom each evening was outstanding. Actually he is the 'social Host' 'Sadiki Jack' from east Caribbean. Sadiki was originally a member of the entertainments team, however, with effect from our cruise on the 18th Nov he was promoted to social host, and I agree, he is the most effective crew member I've ever encountered ( perfect for this position)

His change of outfits each evening kept some of us guys ( and ladies on our toes ;) ) ......did you managed to see his formal evening 'Versace' evening slippers ! the other night.

I'm booked again for this itinerary next year, so I think I may have to up my game.

It has been a wonderful cruise, and all guests entered in the spirit of the ambience and the formal evenings. I've no negative comments what so ever. Thanks to Captain Andrew Hall who was always visible around the ship (and kept us informed several times throughout the day, during the one or two days of adverse weather conditions ) and a big thank you ! to all the wonderful crew crew ( restaurants ,rooms and bars) who spoilt us rotten.

The voyage is now truly over, and we are at home.

The 3 days from the Azores proved quite eventful with gales reaching Force 11 during the night of Sunday/Monday, and quite a list at one time. Our table companions who were travelling very far forward, had one of the most uncomfortable nights at sea in their cruising history! I understand that the QE also had weather issues in the English Channel.

Last night during dinner there was yet another medical emergency in the restaurant, which sadly seemed to be quite frequent. At nearly every port there seemed to be an ambulance waiting on the dock side. On a brighter note, last night's performance by The Rewind Project in the Queens Room, was tremendous. This was a night to forget ballroom dancing and have a truly nostalgic musical experience. Just to find a small space on the floor was an achievement.

Overall this was a very good cruise to the Caribbean. I do wish some people would familiarise themselves with the geography of the Caribbean, and understand that many sea days are a requirement and the weather we encountered is a risk when you take winter Atlantic crossings.

I have a correction to make! In an earlier post I mentioned a gentlemen who I thought/said was DJ Andy: in fact his name is Siddiki (?) He is a wonderfully, colourful character in more ways than one and certainly charms everyone So, do look out for him in the Queens Room and his dance lessons; you will be in for a treat!

A "MUST DO" is a visit to the Gin & Fizz bar, and have your own cocktail created, as there is no need to always choose from the menu. This venue got busier and had its own following as time progressed.

I would like to mention again Captain Andrew Hall. He was so informative as to what was happening at all times during the storms we encountered. Having very many elderly on board and for those with mobility problems, the ship's movement at times must have been very challenging!

So now it is time to prepare for the festive season, and to look forward to rejoining the QV on Jan 7th. It appears that this exotic voyage around South America has one of the highest % ever of pax doing the full tour. This was information from an officer.

Thank you for reading these epistles. Happy Christmas to you all!