One of Princess Cruises' Biggest Ships to Reposition to Alaska in 2019

LauraS

I've got a shiny nickel to bet that the Royal Princess is too tall to sail under the Lion's Gate Bridge to get to Canada Place in Vancouver, and will instead be docking at temporary facilities at the Robert's Bank container terminal in the nearby city of Delta. Any takers?

Disclaimer: It's a Canadian nickel :')

DougYPK

I've got a shiny nickel to bet that the Royal Princess is too tall to sail under the Lion's Gate Bridge to get to Canada Place in Vancouver, and will instead be docking at temporary facilities at the Robert's Bank container terminal in the nearby city of Delta. Any takers?

Disclaimer: It's a Canadian nickel :')

DougYPK

When I was a kid my dad must have visited Canada for some reason. He gave us a bunch of Canadian nickels. We were quite young and had no idea where (or even what) Canada was. We fed them all into a pinball machine. 3 plays for a nickel. Wow. Times have certainly changed. ;p

Nope. I expect it will clear by somewhre between one and three meters. Despite the quoted 217 feet (66 meters) air draft, I believe that's actually the height over the keel. And since it draws 28 feet, that makes it 189 feet over the waterline and so will easily clear Lions Gate by about three meters.

Why do I think it's height over the keel? I've been on Regal (same dimensions) which clears the Storbaelt Bridge in Denmark. That bridge is quoted as being 213 feet vertical clearance. If Royal and Regal were 217' over the waterline, it would hit. An officer told me it cleared that bridge by five meters which puts it in line with my thinking the 217' is over the keel. Lions Gate is quoted as 200' vertical clearance - that 13 foot difference is about 4 meters so if it clears Storbaelt by five, it will clear Lions Gate by one meter. Of course the water at Lions Gate is subject to tidal variation so that 200' is an average - the actual clearance at a given time will depend on the tide (in contrast, the Baltic Sea sees little tidal variation so that's not a factor at the Storbaelt Bridge). There's some difference in the numbers in my first paragraph and this one but put together, I come up with it clearing by somewhere between one meter (3 feet) and three meters (10 feet).

Edited by lstone19
Improved clarity

Nope. I expect it will clear by somewhre between one and three meters. Despite the quoted 217 feet (66 meters) air draft, I believe that's actually the height over the keel. And since it draws 28 feet, that makes it 189 feet over the waterline and so will easily clear Lions Gate by about three meters.

Why do I think it's height over the keel? I've been on Regal (same dimensions) which clears the Storbaelt Bridge in Denmark. That bridge is quoted as being 213 feet vertical clearance. If Royal and Regal were 217' over the waterline, it would hit. An officer told me it cleared that bridge by five meters which puts it in line with my thinking the 217' is over the keel. Lions Gate is quoted as 200' vertical clearance - that 13 foot difference is about 4 meters so if it clears Storbaelt by five, it will clear Lions Gate by one meter. Of course the water at Lions Gate is subject to tidal variation so that 200' is an average - the actual clearance at a given time will depend on the tide (in contrast, the Baltic Sea sees little tidal variation so that's not a factor at the Storbaelt Bridge). There's some difference in the numbers in my first paragraph and this one but put together, I come up with it clearing by somewhere between one meter (3 feet) and three meters (10 feet).

Interesting points! When it happens, clearing the Lion's Gate bridge could be one of its cruising highlights.

Interesting and well researched. You've more than earned that nickel.

DougYPK

I think this confirms your calculations... Just about everything does not exceed 180'. There is one item that is a wee bit above the 180' mark and that could be the after masthead light in the forward part of the funnel. I enlarged the second picture to see it.

2gv0qxw.jpg

24xdfex.jpg

Yes there really isn't much outdoor space on the Royal. There is a small uncovered patch of promenade deck (that will fill up quickly with interior cabin passengers who want to see the views). The buffet tables will also fill up alongside the windows for viewing. I guess they would have enough passenger demand to use a bigger ship, but I'm not sure how the ship layout will work for scenic viewing in Alaska. Maybe they will only have one scenic viewing day and focus activities up on the Lido deck.

Shows the demand for Alaska.

Hard to tell.

It might show princess' desperation in where to send all their ships.

Sending Majestic to China showed the demand for China, until it didn't;

and they announced Majestic would reposition to Australia for part of the year.

Personally, I don't think Regal/Royal have enough outside deck space for the number of people.

Without paying for the sanctuary, there is almost no public view forward.