scrappers: what pictures to take during cruise?

ourcruise

I may be posting this in the wrong place, please let me know.

Is there a list somewhere of pictures to take while cruising? Or can yall help me make a list.

On our last cruise we took a picture with the sun setting in the back ground. It was late after a day off the boat so we looked tired.

thanks for your help.

jen

I'm a photographer and a scrapbooker so I tend to take a lot of scenery and "local color" type pictures... also pics of us but one thing if you are the taker of pictures, make sure you are in some of them! I often hear at crops that there are not many pics of mom/wife!

I think local color /culture pics capture your destination but that's just my opinion. I don't tend to take many ship or food pics maybe bec. I've been on so many cruises.. DH has only been on 6 or so but he's not "into" that type pic so we tend to do a few of ship as we are docked but that's it.

I try to get pictures of the ship's unique areas and definitely one of the cabin. On our first few cruises, I didn't include people in those pictures, but now I like to get at least one of us in them. I also take a picture of each of our towel animals, although I probably won't use them in a scrapbook anymore.

Also, we take a picture of ourselves in the dining room and at the shows, as well as pictures around the pool. On excursions, we try to get someone to take a picture of us together.

As you cruise more, like Caroline said, you will take less food and ship pictures, but I think it's good to start out with lots of them and then you have a choice when it's time to scrapbook the cruise.

The joy of having a digital camera is that you can take pictures of everything and anything. However, that said, sometimes one can get so involved in taking a picture that one forgets to savour the moment. I take lots of scenery as well which helps us recall the wonderful places we had the pleasure to visit but have learned that it is the people in the photographs that are the most important. DH and I both take cameras and we snap away as we see each other enjoying an experience which are candid and informal. We also manage to get a few of us together. When I had to go thru my father's 42 carousel slide trays after his passing, pictures of scenery went bye bye because they weren't important to us but pics of my parents in different locales are wonderful to keep. I like taking creative shots like the balconies/window boxes of apartments in Europe which are filled with beautiful flowers or unique doors or framed/shuttered windows. I do take pics of each ship we are on because our memories aren't what they used to be as we recall a particular cruise. LOL!

Bottom line, take pics of what is important to you to recall those wonderful cruise memories.

Sandy :)

I take pictures all over the place both on and off the ship on excursions. I also take a printer and print 10 or so pictures of what I think are the two best pictures the previous day. I then put them on our "Door Art" hanging on the door to our Suite in a folder that says "Like it Take one". They all get taken. A fun way to share our experience on the cruise.

I take pictures all over the place both on and off the ship on excursions. I also take a printer and print 10 or so pictures of what I think are the two best pictures the previous day. I then put them on our "Door Art" hanging on the door to our Suite in a folder that says "Like it Take one". They all get taken. A fun way to share our experience on the cruise.

That is a great idea. Thanks for the tips.

Jen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I saw a friends scrap book of their cruise (and Europe trip) and every new place they take a photo of themselves, close up. It was interesting to see the changes in the faces over the five week trip and their heads that started close together, got further and further apart.:D

One thing I've discovered after scrapping lots of cruises is that I tend to take almost all of my pics horizontally. Some page designs really need some vertical pics, so I'm more conscious now of trying to take some of pics that way so it's easier to scrap them when I get home.

• 2 months later...

I tend to forget what in the world I was taking a picture of or where we were, so I am forever taking pictures of signs (don't always print them, but it's helpful to have them there when looking at the pics). I also used to take a lot of pictures without people in them, but when I got into scrapbooking I realized that I like to have pictures of the people I was with in my scrapbook more than pictures of the places we were. My favorite pictures are just pictures of memorable moments, like when my husband thought he was dipping his chicken into ketchup but it was hot sauce, or the both of us being dorks in our snorkel gear after out first time snorkeling. Also, as pointed out above, take vertical and horizontal shots. I think I drive my husband crazy with all my picture taking, but what are you gonna do?

• 3 weeks later...
One thing I've discovered after scrapping lots of cruises is that I tend to take almost all of my pics horizontally. Some page designs really need some vertical pics, so I'm more conscious now of trying to take some of pics that way so it's easier to scrap them when I get home.

I've noticed this about myself as well. I take way too many horizontal pictures.

Here are some things that I make sure to take pictures of on a cruise:

- First view of the ship (I've missed this on our last two cruises and I was so sad)

- Picture of the ship from one of the ports. I make sure to get the entire ship. This is normally used for the title page of my scrapbook.

- Cabin pictures

- Pictures of towel animals

- Pictures of food (this is more for CC review purposes though)

- Picture of each of us at the welcome sign to a location

- Picture of us on formal night

• 1 year later...

My husband is trained for my scrapbooking needs so we take a lot of pictures of signs to use in the place of labels when scrapbooking- we also take lots of onboard shots, especially anything with the ship's name on it. Also a few shots of sunlight sparkling on the waves always makes for great backgrounds (I mostly digital scrapbook and love to make my own background pages with these kind of shots). Other things we like to take - our toes in the sand or on a lounger by the pool, a life ring with the ships name (can make a fun frame), luggage at the beginning and end of the trips (always fun to see how much more stuff we are packing home!)

I have started taking pictures of license plates at the places we visit. It makes a great title shot for a layout. I also like to take pictures of the art work (not the art auction stuff but the decorative art around the ship). Another fun one is unusual shapes on a ship - the funnel, a curving staircase, etc. Many years ago one of the scrapbook magazines had a layout called "Ship Shapes" and I have used that idea each cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a ton of scrapbooks and they have all kinds of memorabilia from places I've been that include napkins, ticket stubs, labels, business cards, etc. That is always fun to browse through. Recently, I put together a travel photo album from Shutterfly. If your photos are good quality, the album is printed and looks great! It takes a little time, but you can custom it with icons and text.

Just another say to enjoy your cruise memories. ;)

I take lots of photos too. Start each day by taking one of the cruise news, it give the date and where we were for the pics that follow. In addition, I also take little things that will fit in the scrapbook, like swizzle sticks, napkins, matchbook covers, etc. They make a fun addition to the pages.

• 5 weeks later...

I also take photos of the map on the tv screen that captures, routes, places and other facts you may want to remember. My favorite was when we were on our Transatlantic cruise and the map showed us all alone in the muddle of the ocean. Priceless.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 weeks later...

When leaving the ship on port days, I always get DH to stand next to the sign that says the ship will be leaving tonight at xx time for [next location] and it's also useful to confirm all aboard time later in the day!!!!

After the first 2-3 cruises I realized that a lot of places tend to look the same after a while. Blue waters, palm trees, colorful buildings.....Then when I get home and print out my photos, it got to the point that I couldn't recall exactly what the photos were of.

So now, before we leave, I print out the date and which island we're heading to that day (or if it's a sea day) on an index card and I take a photo of it first thing that morning. That way, once the photos are printed, I can organize them by day and know exactly which island they were from.

I also have to get in the habit of actually being IN the photos as well. So far, it looks like my husband and two boys have had a ball on several cruises. But I am in very few of them. :(

• 3 weeks later...
I have started taking pictures of license plates at the places we visit. It makes a great title shot for a layout. I also like to take pictures of the art work (not the art auction stuff but the decorative art around the ship). Another fun one is unusual shapes on a ship - the funnel, a curving staircase, etc. Many years ago one of the scrapbook magazines had a layout called "Ship Shapes" and I have used that idea each cruise.

License plates...very cool!

Similar to the index cards and daily going ons...

1. Picture of day in the elevator

2. Silly interactions with statues

3. Just finished my honeymoon cruise book...I used all info about ports that the cruise ship had instead of journaling.. It was a med cruise so very good stuff.

Some of my most favorite pictures are of us just acting goofy around the ship or on excursions. I actually scrap some of the pictures that should be tossed; like eyes have closed, making ugly faces, etc. I title the pages Carnival Enquirer or Carnival Paparazzi.

I have pictures of: my DD planking on a Mayan "Ruin" on Carnival's Inspiration. Her BFF is meditating on his head.