trickyoat

Blue Marble - am I correct in thinking that there are 3 x 10 night cruises doing a round trip from Vancouver Alaska trip or am I missing something here? It seems rather odd that they would do it 3 times.

"May 31-Jun 10 Vancouver, (Alaska), Vancouver

Jun 10-20 Vancouver, (Alaska), Vancouver

Jun 20-30 Vancouver, (Alaska), Vancouver"

Sorry, I'm a bit late getting back to you about this, but I have just returned from a road trip to see the total solar eclipse that occurred here in the US on Monday. That was an absolutely magnificent sight. But I digress.

Queen Elizabeth is not doing a traditional world voyage in 2019. Instead, she is doing what one might call a repositioning cruise in January, 2019 to start a schedule of Australia/New Zealand cruises through early April. During that time, she will be doing several round trip cruises from Australian and New Zealand ports. For example, I count a total of four round trip voyages that should be possible from Melbourne and three from Sydney.

Other ports on Queen Elizabeth's already announced schedule for early 2019 also have one or more round trip cruises, including two round trips from Yokohama, Japan in April and May before she heads across the Pacific to North America.

It looks like something similar is in the works for Vancouver during the May-June timeframe. Cunard previously announced one 10-day round trip cruise from Vancouver for May 21-31, 2019. Now I am seeing three more 10-day round trip Vancouver cruises from May 31 through June 30 for a total of four Vancouver round trips in 2019. You can see them listed as "10-day Canada" cruises under the "Find a Cruise" function here on Cruise Critic. Unfortunately they don't provide any port of call information for those cruises yet. For now, the three newly added round trips from Vancouver simply show "Cruising" for each day of the itinerary. Presumably those details will become available when Cunard officially announces the schedule in a couple more weeks.

Regards,

John

Edited by bluemarble

John

Thank you for your information. I hope you enjoyed watching the eclipse. We only saw it on the news in the UK.

I'll wait with bated breath to see what is offered in Alaska when the official itineraries come out, however I probably won't book until we board QM2 on 22 Sept as it will be nice to get extra OBC. Let's hope there's some cabins left :)

Lynne

A lot of the refugees are crossing to Kos in Greece and from Lybia across to Sicily and Malta, theres a map here from the BBC showing some of the routes.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-24521614

You only have to consider the ramifications of a cruise ship coming across a boat of refugees and having to stop to pick them up - deliver them to a safe port and can only leave once they have been accepted. For the cruiselines this must be a nightmare considering the effects this will have on their bottom dollar.

I can't imagine Ernie and Ethel been alt pleased if they thought they were heading off for a trip of a life time jaunt to cyprus and Rhodes and been diverted to Kos and made to stay there for a week while things were sorted.

A lot of the cruse lines have had to reconsider their protocols and security precautions several years in advance for their Itins, I think the Med has been problematic for some time, also the number of cruise ships servicing the area can't help. Its a great opportunity for us if they have to consider their usual routes as hopefully more interesting ports will come through. Alaska next year is one fantastic new one, I hope they consider stationing one of the Cunaders this side for a season in the future.

It is unfortunate that many are affected by all this. However, Nato and EU have sent ships to the Med, and as far as I know Russia and others as well, so not only cruise ships are involved. At the same time, negotiations are taking place with many countries bordering the Med to secure their own internal stability. As said before, all this takes time, it is very complex.

Travelling is always connected to certain risks and everybody can decide whether or not he wants to take them. There are certain countries in this world where I never would not go. They have to see how they get along without me .... :loudcry:

• 2 weeks later...
I've not looked at all of them but so far, pretty much although June '19 isn't showing any results for QE so far.

QE certainly has some very interesting itineraries.

Glad you said that. I thought it was just me who couldn't find anything for the QE :eek:

Blue Marble - am I correct in thinking that there are 3 x 10 night cruises doing a round trip from Vancouver Alaska trip or am I missing something here? It seems rather odd that they would do it 3 times.

"May 31-Jun 10 Vancouver, (Alaska), Vancouver

Jun 10-20 Vancouver, (Alaska), Vancouver

Jun 20-30 Vancouver, (Alaska), Vancouver"

Fairly usual for Alaska from Vancouver - really interested to see prices to compare with the likes of Viking

I've not looked at all of them but so far, pretty much although June '19 isn't showing any results for QE so far.

QE certainly has some very interesting itineraries.

I downloaded the online brochure on the UK website covering March 2018 to December 2019 and for QE there are no June 2019 voyages as Victoria2 and babs135 noted. The Cruise Calendar listing for QE at the back of the brochure shows Q915 (Tokyo to Vancouver on 4 May) and then Q919F/G/H (SFO to the Fort Lauderdale/New York/Southampton on 3 Jul). There are no Vancouver departures - either the 10 day Alaska voyages or the voyage back to Southampton embarking in Vancouver. So maybe these voyages aren't being sold (at the moment) in the UK ?

Hi just noticed that the UK online brochure has a page mentioning the May and June 2019 Alaska voyages and inviting you to register your interest to receive details of itineraries and prices when they are available. The UK brochure give the link to register interest as http://www.cunard.com/alaska but this doesn't work as it should be http://www.cunard.co.uk/alaska

The 2019 schedule from June 2019 onward is now posted on Cunard's US web site.

Many of the itineraries suffer from the stuttering problem we have seen in the past. For example, the itinerary for QM2's "Grand North American Independence Day Celebration" (voyage M918F) is listed as "Southampton, Southampton, New York, New York, Halifax, Halifax, Boston, Boston, Boston, Boston, Newport, Newport, New York, New York, Southampton". Also for whatever reason, I don't see the 7-day portion of this voyage (round trip from New York, June 30-July 7, 2019) offered as a separate voyage as it certainly will be offered eventually. So we seem to have some teething pains with the schedule as currently presented on the US web site.

Also, nothing shown for QE in June, 2019 on the US web site either. Clearly Cunard is intending to announce those details at a later date, based on what is stated in the brochure on the UK web site as first reported by WillH. No brochure yet on the US web site. For those without access to the brochure on the UK web site, here is how the pages are worded concerning the QE Alaska itineraries.

Welcome to Alaska.

Join us in exploring glaciers, wildlife, national parks

and dramatic scenery on a series of Alaska

cruises in May and June 2019.

Standing on deck of Queen Elizabeth, you’ll appreciate the vastness of the

landscapes in these icy northern reaches, where the sun barely sinks from sight

in the summer months. You’ll pass enormous turquoise-hued glaciers

and sail into the beautiful fjords that ancient

glaciers have left behind.

Register

your interest

at www.cunard.com/Alaska

and we’ll send you the cruise

details and fares as soon as

they are available.

Edit: Yes, that link to "www.cunard.com/Alaska" does not work (at least not yet). As WillH pointed out, the correct link is to "www.cunard.co.uk/Alaska" and that does not work from the US.

Edited by bluemarble

Gutted. We'd bought a FCD on our last trip knowing we couldn't do 2018, but summer 2019 we would. We're stuck with school holidays (no kids, but I have a teacher!) but there's nothing grabbing us. We've done the Atlantic, Norway and Iceland recently and fancied the some sun, but we can't as there's nothing actually in the school holidays. Oh well, it's only £50 each down the drain, but I won't make that mistake again.

Only sailed with Cunard, maybe it's time to take a look at other lines :(

Gutted. We'd bought a FCD on our last trip knowing we couldn't do 2018, but summer 2019 we would. We're stuck with school holidays (no kids, but I have a teacher!) but there's nothing grabbing us. We've done the Atlantic, Norway and Iceland recently and fancied the some sun, but we can't as there's nothing actually in the school holidays. Oh well, it's only £50 each down the drain, but I won't make that mistake again.

Only sailed with Cunard, maybe it's time to take a look at other lines :(

Are FCDs transferable ? If so, we'd be interested in taking them off your hands :)

Save

I have decided I want to do the QM2 trip in July going to New York via Liverpool, Iceland and Canada. Now to convince everyone else that this is a good idea.

I have been looking longingly at that voyage combined with the earlier eastbound crossing to make for a 21-day round trip from New York. Now to convince my bank account that this is a good idea!

Regards,

John

Anyone from the UK noticing that all the new 2019 voyages seem to have disappeared from the Cunard UK web site? I've just been popping over occassionally to look at the UK site to compare it to the US site, and this is what I am seeing on the UK site when I do a cruise search by date.

Cunard%20UK%20Search%20by%20Date.jpg

Seems to have been like this for the last 24 hours or so. They tease with "Preview our new 2019 cruises" on the home page, but then when you try to drill down to look at any of the specific cruises they are previewing, the typical result is "No cruises found".

Now I understand the new 2019 voyages aren't actually on sale yet and Cunard still have time to get this sorted, but it doesn't seem to give a great first impression of their 2019 voyage launch. Unless those of you in the UK aren't seeing this.

Regards,

John

The CUNARD website is all over the place. Cruises are there, then they disappear, the transatlantic crossings randomly display prices with or without flights, it's actually a mess.

Interesting. The US Cunard web site isn't without its glitches, but most (if not all) of the new 2019 voyages are there to be viewed and even priced at this point. Not sure why the UK site seems to be so much more problematic at this point. Oh well.

Regards,

John