Not the Haven experiance that I expected

skyfire53

Exactly. The title of this thread is WAY off base.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You're exactly right. I'd have gone with, "For this kind of money, would it be so hard to get me onto the ship?" Maybe throw in the Eek! Face.

Can we get some impact writing suggestions from the house? The audience would like to see something with more punch.

I'm still stuck on the fact your family walked ahead of you.... knowing you were a little slower and that all of them, including your daughter, didn't notice you weren't with them unti they were already up there...... forget your Cruise Card not working..... I'd be unhappy with family for taking off on me. That's no excuse...... sorry but I have grandparents that are slower and they would never be left behind at the mall, a restaurant, an airport or walking through a cruise terminal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Shame on your family for leaving you behind.

Don't be so quick to judge!

It appears neither of you have dealt with a person who moves (walks) significantly slower than you do. I've spent the last 27 years checking over my shoulder to make sure I haven't lost my DH and he doesn't have mobility issues............ He just walks slow!

The OP's family may do something similar which would make it very easy for them to find themselves in a position that when they looked back, they couldn't go back to be with him because of the requirements of the port.

We also have to navigate the issues of my father (93 years young!) who is totally great....just walks really SLOW due to horrible arthritis. Two weeks ago, we had both Garden Villas, and although we asked at different points on the process of "checking in"....he did not get a wheelchair...which would have made things so much easier for us all.

It IS difficult to navigate the process of boarding with a large group...and I do understand that it is possible to get separated. And as for the elevator being in "use"....I totally understand that as well! As when we disembark, we ALWAYS ask for a wheelchair for my dad.....and NEED the elevator to meet the limo and make our flights.

I sometimes think that NCL does need to have more available personnel at the check in area....as again, even being in the Haven with both Garden Villas booked......part of our group (the younger ones of course!) were very excited to board and headed up the gangway.....I lagged back with my dad.....and mom....along with my husband....but it was just TOO long a walk and he was in SO much pain once we actually GOT to the GV.......

So I agree that maybe there needs to be a way to request assistance in advance? As if there is....I have not seen it on the web site. But then again.....I often laugh when flying to Las Vegas as there are SO many "seniors" getting wheelchair service....but you should see them practically RUN once the flight has landed and they are off of the aircraft! So I believe that there is some "fudging" going on there as well with requesting wheelchair/mobility assistance.

Bottom line is that although I paid a LOT of $ to cross the street in Seattle....as I knew that even though our hotel was just across the street from the port....I knew that it would be a chore for my dad. But the problem was that even after PAYING to be driven across the street.....the check in process has NO ONE to notify that you need assistance for one of the guests...so we were forced to just get in line with everyone else and go through the process.

There should be some way to help those that need assistance.....even getting up the gangway! As that is a long walk for someone that is in pain.....but it may also mean that the entire family does NOT get to go along.....surely NCL can figure something out?

It appears neither of you have dealt with a person who moves (walks) significantly slower than you do. I've spent the last 27 years checking over my shoulder to make sure I haven't lost my DH and he doesn't have mobility issues............ He just walks slow!

The OP's family may do something similar which would make it very easy for them to find themselves in a position that when they looked back, they couldn't go back to be with him because of the requirements of the port.

It is easy. Walk WITH them not in front of them. I used to do that with my mother. But after she pointed it out to me I tried/worked hard to do just that, slow down. I lost my mother on Sunday. Would give the world to do that slow walk with her one more time.

It is easy. Walk WITH them not in front of them. I used to do that with my mother. But after she pointed it out to me I tried/worked hard to do just that, slow down. I lost my mother on Sunday. Would give the world to do that slow walk with her one more time.

My sincere condolences to you and your entire family during this difficult time. May God keep you and comfort you.

"it appears neither of you have dealt with a person who moves (walks) significantly slower"

Well, it appears YOU need to go back to remedial reading because I clearly stated that I have grandparents who are elderly and who don't have the speed or mobility..... we NEVER look over our shoulder to see where they are, we NEVER enter escalators or elevators without assisting them, we NEVER walk ahead and hope they are still nearby, etc.... . I have a 2 year old niece that can't keep up..... but I guess your system of "checking over my shoulder" is acceptable. Smh

op, apparently you ran into problems based pretty much on port rules combined with family members that were just not thinking. My husband has leg problems thus is very slow. When we travel one of us in the family, usually my daughter stays with him. We would never all get way ahead of him. IN fact the help speed things up on our cruise coming up he is bringing a walker. We think it will help his speed and make his legs not hurt quite so bad.

It appears neither of you have dealt with a person who moves (walks) significantly slower than you do.

This also was pretty funny.... telling me not to judge when your first sentence after telling me not to judge was actually you judging me.

We would never have put my mom, who had a triple bypass and aortic valve replacement a number of years ago, in a situation where she would be left alone by herself in a wheelchair for any length of time, especially in a crowded place like an airport or cruise port. She could walk, but very slowly and not for a long distance, so we always traveled with a folding wheelchair. We always made it a point to stay with her at all times.

We took her on her first Haven cruise a few years ago and I am so glad we splurged on that cruise to make sure she was comfortable. She had so much fun. Little did we know she would be gone a couple of months later...

So I agree that maybe there needs to be a way to request assistance in advance? As if there is....I have not seen it on the web site.

I believe they have something in place for those that would need additional assistance. Sometimes all it takes is for someone to ask if there could be help.

https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising#spassist

Something I am not sure that was mentioned...

At most ports there are restrictions on who can assist persons in wheelchairs etc. Sometimes its ship staff, sometimes port staff, sometimes a handoff.

In the terminal, its usually port staff. What may have occurred in this case is that there were no port staff available to assist as they were all tied up with disembarkation. If there is an elevator assigned to this purpose that is also controlled by port staff for their exclusive use, ie ship staff cannot take you up.

They still should have been able to assist, but a delay especially early is not unreasonable (and a better explanation).

Something does not seem right about the post.

I would not let a one time inconvenience ruin a 1 week cruise.

My friends and family would not leave anyone behind unless they were someone they wanted to dodge. There are a few ;)

Not enough substance behind the cruise comments to warrant much attention on CC

I know that the OP is a real person. We were waiting for our party so we could be seated at Margaritaville about the time she came in. IIRC, she was with a group, so I guess she met up with her travel companions.

Something does not seem right about the post.

I would not let a one time inconvenience ruin a 1 week cruise.

My friends and family would not leave anyone behind unless they were someone they wanted to dodge. There are a few ;)

Not enough substance behind the cruise comments to warrant much attention on CC

Completely agree, and why would someone expect compensation for this from customer service?

Maybe they should write the port of Miami and request compensation, since the issue was with them.
I couldn't agree more! Most cruise lines exercise full control over their shoreside operations. I did not realize NCL did not. It's kind of amazing that they can keep the same terminal, week after week.

Good tip!

Geeze, some of you folks are a little vicious, blaming the op' and family. I guess nobody believes in Karma.

who would you blame? the ship has no control over port regulations and the OP admitted her family was walking way ahead of her. Maybe they didn't realize it either, but one of them should stayed back with OP or OP should take her frustrations out on them, not NCL in this case. On our last cruise out of NCL we had a lay over in Charlotte NC. My husband walks very slow, and a few of the moving sidewalks were not working. Luckily our daughter stay behind with her father and walked slowly until one of those handicapped carts came along to her them. I don't think any of us ever thought to blame the airport for hubby not being able to keep us with us.

who would you blame? the ship has no control over port regulations and the OP admitted her family was walking way ahead of her. Maybe they didn't realize it either, but one of them should stayed back with OP or OP should take her frustrations out on them, not NCL in this case. On our last cruise out of NCL we had a lay over in Charlotte NC. My husband walks very slow, and a few of the moving sidewalks were not working. Luckily our daughter stay behind with her father and walked slowly until one of those handicapped carts came along to her them. I don't think any of us ever thought to blame the airport for hubby not being able to keep us with us.

I don't have a dog in this fight...just putting it out there that some (not all) responses were downright rude. I assume a few posters have forgotten what we teach our kids...if you don't have something nice to say......