MITSUGIRLY lets the BREEZE flow through her hair-Spring Break Review/Pictorial

mitsugirly

P3280191%20copy-L.jpg

When we arrived, there was only 1 other family here and the place was deserted. I guess that's the good thing about the place being closed down...not many people coming here and you pretty much have the place to yourself.

I kept looking at the hubby and saying "I just can't get over the color of the water here at Grand Turk. It's the most beautiful thing I have ever seen!"

P3280189%20copy-L.jpg

P3280192%20copy-L.jpg

They did have picnic tables, so if you come and bring your own lunch, there's a place to eat.

P3280193%20copy-L.jpg

I do not know where these bio rocks are located, but I didn't see any right off the beach.

P3280194%20copy-L.jpg

See how close you are to the port? It's not far at all.

P3280195%20copy-L.jpg

We put our things down under a tree and walked down to the beach. It was so beautiful and there's plenty of shade here.

Obviously out there is where the snorkeling must be.

P3280197%20copy-L.jpg

P3280198%20copy-L.jpg

P3280200%20copy-L.jpg

The first thing the hubby and I noticed was that it was pretty wavy here. We immediately told Sakari "No mermaid tail here". She was disappointed, but I just was unsure of it. There was also a bit of a drop off once in the water. I keep forgetting that she's actually "growing up" and getting taller and I still she her as my little 3 year old when we first took her on a cruise.

P3280201%20copy-L.jpg

If only she would have smiled in this picture.

P3280203%20copy-L.jpg

This place is seriously gorgeous!

P3280205%20copy-L.jpg

After awhile, I looked up and noticed 3 boys had arrived on bikes, which I'm pretty sure they were locals, and I thought they looked a little suspicious. They were looking around and I noticed them go up to the sign (I previously posted earlier about the "rules") like if they were new people checking out the island and interested in the rules. LOL I knew things just didn't look right so I headed back to our stuff, sitting under the trees, to make it known I was here and watching them. I grabbed our things up and moved them down to where we were at the beach.

P3280204%20copy-L.jpg

We then decided to move on down toward the ship and check that little area out and take pictures.

P3280206%20copy-L.jpg

Hubby actually got in the water again. What is up with him this cruise? I think someone has taken over his body and brain at this point. But then again, there aren't any lounge chairs to be lounging on either.

P3280209%20copy-L.jpg

P3280211%20copy-L.jpg

Sakari and I soon discovered that we had struck glass rock heaven at this beach! For those that collect this stuff, this is a great place to find plenty of it. We ended up with plenty of it (all pulled out of the water, there's none on the beach itself). We even managed to find some of the blue glass, which is very rare to find from what I have read in the past.

P3280213%20copy-L.jpg

This picture makes it look like the Breeze is right by this ship.

P3280215%20copy-L.jpg

I obviously didn't realize the hubby was in possession of a camera and was taking pictures of me. Ohhh, the pictures he took...I could just drown him for it. LOL

P3280220%20copy-L.jpg

Sakari found a conch shell. She is so good at spotting things in the water.

P3280221%20copy-L.jpg

P3280227%20copy-L.jpg

Sakari showing off some of her glass rock pieces.

P3280231%20copy-L.jpg

P3280237%20copy-L.jpg

P3280236%20copy-M.jpg

P3280239%20copy-L.jpg

P3280243%20copy-L.jpg

P3280244%20copy-L.jpg

There were a few people that came on these small boats to this cove area around the wrecked ship and there were a few people that were snorkeling over here as well. I have no idea where they actually came from.

P3280248%20copy-L.jpg

P3280246%20copy-L.jpg

P3280249%20copy-L.jpg

Sea gulls

P3280258%20copy-L.jpg

P3280260%20copy-L.jpg

P3280266%20copy-L.jpg

P3280273%20copy-L.jpg

P3280277%20copy-L.jpg

I honestly didn't want to leave this place. It was that beautiful and I really enjoyed it. However, I did want to give ourselves plenty of time to get back, turn the golf cart in, walk back to the port and spend a little time there at the pool.

We decided to head out around 1:40pm. We had been there just a little over 1 hour. If I had my chance to do it again, I would spend more time here and less time at BOHIO. But, since this was our last stop, we were already out of our drinks and was starting to get thirsty and needing a pick-me-up quencher and figured we should just go back.

This place has so much potential. It's so beautiful and there's all these little huts sitting on the property. It's such a shame to go to waste. Anyone know if they ever plan on doing anything with this place?

P3280279%20copy-L.jpg

P3280280%20copy-L.jpg

P3280281%20copy-L.jpg

This place had plenty of places to wash your feet and body off, which is a nice surprise considering it's pretty much "closed".

P3280282%20copy-L.jpg

P3280283%20copy-L.jpg

P3280284%20copy-L.jpg

Bathrooms

P3280286%20copy-L.jpg

P3280287%20copy-L.jpg

P3280288%20copy-L.jpg

I have tried to search the history of this place, but can't really seem to find much about it. Anyone know when this place closed? What was it like before? Why did it close? Any plans to remodel and reopen?

The only page I found was one when it use to be open and it doesn't have a date. I found a neat picture that looked like an overcrowded tourist beach.

plid_6098_Beach_10652631274_8337c76a02_k_article_full_2.jpg

Bring your own equipment to set out on an adventurous snorkeling trip off the coast, or take a relaxing stroll down the shore at this unpopulated beach. Often voted as one of the best secluded beaches in Turks and Caicos, Governor's Beach can't be missed. Beware, however, that the population of the beach booms when cruise ships are in port.

Set on the southern coast of the island of Grand Turk, You should consider stopping by whether or not you are staying very close. You will generally find plenty of places to set up shop, as the surrounding area and the beach itself are not overflowing with tourists.

How to Access The Beach

Governor's Beach can be accessed via Columbus Landfall National Park.

Amenities and Ambiance

The southwest coast of Grand Turk is home to Governor's Beach, with its white, powder-soft sands and clear blue Caribbean waters lined with casuarina trees, which make this beach one of the nicest on the island. It it located just in front of the official British Governor's residence, features a lighthouse in the distance and coral just a short ways away from the shore.

The snack bar located at this spot is perfect for quick lunches and cold drinks, too. If available, you could also buy food from one of the local vendors who set up shop at the beach.

Restrooms are available at Governor's Beach. The water in the area is clear enough for snorkeling, so grab some equipment if you want to see what lies beneath the surface. Though well-known, Governor's Beach does not get very crowded, which makes it easy to find a secluded spot along the shore.

We headed back out to the entrance and ready to head back to the cruise port just down the street.

P3280182%20copy-L.jpg

I could see we were close to the ship.

P3280296%20copy-L.jpg

We pulled up to return our golf cart and they said "You stopped and refilled the gas right?" but wasn't checking. Of course I'm honest and said "No, we didn't but these things don't use much gas." He lifted the seat and found that in fact, the gas hadn't even moved at all. I went ahead and gave him $15 for...whatever...to cover gas, tip or .... I'm not even sure. We had a good day and really enjoyed ourselves so it was whatever. I'm not even sure if you are supposed to tip these people??? I mean we rented off them, they didn't do anything for us or take us anywhere, so I was just unsure if this is a "tipping" type of thing?

P3280299%20copy-L.jpg

We headed back toward the cruise port gate.

P3280300%20copy-L.jpg

We walked right in. There wasn't anyone stopping us or asking for ID or our ship cards or anything. I thought that was weird.

P3280302%20copy-L.jpg

This is the street you walk down...unless you decide to walk up into the flowers/bushes/cactus and go on the sand sidewalk that they say is closed...which we did.

P3280303%20copy-L.jpg

Just walking from the entrance back to the port pool area was a hot one!

P3280305%20copy-L.jpg

I found some aloe plants. It's a good thing I managed to not get hurt today or I would have had to use some of this. Yep, you guessed it, the hubby did NOT throw me off the golf cart. I survived a day in port without breaking something or getting hurt. Go me. It was a good day.

P3280304%20copy-L.jpg

The parking lot.

P3280306%20copy-L.jpg

There was an area that we stayed in last time we were there in GT, around the pool, and I had walked up these little steps in between the cabanas and found that it led out to the parking lot. We took a short cut coming back in and wondered if anyone was going to stop us...and once again they didn't. There was no one around. It was just weird I tell ya.

We walked up and over this little hill from the parking lot and it happened to be the exact same area that I had previously walked up last time to take a look around. Except this time we were coming from the opposite direction. LOL

We looked around, the place was packed, I didn't see any chairs and guess where we ended up at????

P3280309%20copy-L.jpg

This would be the exact same location, under the tree and in the rocks, that we stayed at last time we were here last year with Kendra. Haha, what are the chances? I think it would be safe to say that this particular area is considered the "undesired" area, probably due to the rocks you have to step on to get to the chairs and it's located right behind a row of regular lounge chairs. The only difference this time was they had changed out the chairs for these new weird looking things. I wasn't complaining since I had no desire to actually sit in a chair and knew that it was merely just a place to put our things while we went swimming.

P3280307%20copy-L.jpg

Of course Sakari headed for the pool immediately and morphed back into a mermaid. She couldn't wait to actually be able to swim in a REAL pool...no salt water and off she went.

P3280313%20copy-L.jpg

The hubby really wanted to go check out the surfing and off we went.

P3280311%20copy-L.jpg

These guys were really good! They were doing all kinds of tricks.

P3280316%20copy-L.jpg

He looked like a real California surfer too.

P3280317%20copy-L.jpg

I assume they were the people who ran the thing because they were there for a long time and there wasn't anyone else watching over them (other than us spectators) and no one standing in line waiting for a turn.

The hubby did ask one of them, after Sakari and I swam off, about the cost and everything and he was told that they were done for the day and given a cost. He was shocked at the price, I wasn't.

P3280323%20copy-L.jpg

P3280310%20copy-L.jpg

She's a natural I tell ya. Yes, she comes up with these poses all by herself.

P3280320%20copy-L.jpg

It was 3pm and we were starved and decided to head back to the ship.

Of course I was taking pictures along the way.

P3280364%20copy-L.jpg

P3280363%20copy-L.jpg

P3280366%20copy-L.jpg

Last time we were here there was a huge line to get back on the Pride right before all aboard. I was kind of pleasantly surprised that there wasn't a line formed yet. There didn't seem to be a whole lot of people still sitting on the beach and at the point we left the pool, most people were gone already.

P3280367%20copy-L.jpg

P3280368%20copy-L.jpg

P3280369%20copy-L.jpg

P3280372%20copy-L.jpg

P3280374%20copy-L.jpg

P3280376%20copy-L.jpg

When we approached the ship, there were several different gangways to get on. Since we were staying on the one at the aft of the ship, we decided to go ahead and walk down that way. Once we arrived, they told us that it was for the crew only, but go ahead and get on. They dinged us in and up one floor we went and we were instantly back at our room and heading to the shower.

There were 12 people missing and they made numerous calls for them. We didn't pull out until 4:30pm, so I guess they waited long enough.

We went to find some food and ....OF COURSE, the Lido buffet closed at 3:30pm and would not open back up until 6pm. There's NO WAY we could wait that long to eat. We were starving after only eating the one $20 plate at BOHIO. Our only option at this point was Guys Burgers of course.

As we were sitting at the table, I was discussing what we should do later that evening and Sakari was telling us what she would like to do once we were done eating...but the hubby, well he must have been day dreaming or something because it was quite apparent that he was not paying attention to one word we were saying.

Then he says, "I do believe I see some whales!" Um...say what? He points out in the water right in front of us and says "watch"...and watch we did. We would see them over and over come up in the water and spray water in the air. It was amazing to watch. It looked like there were two of them and from them rising out of the water some and the size of the sprays, we assumed a mommy and baby were swimming side by side.

JUST MY LUCK!!!! I had ran both of my batteries dead on my cameras and they were upstairs at the room charging. The only thing I had to work with was my phone. I guess it's better than nothing, but of course it's very slow when it comes to a shutter speed. So...every shot I tried to get was after you couldn't see any of the whale back itself, but only the spray and of course it was no clear. But, I'm sharing my whale pictures anyhow...

The spray is located in the pictures right above my name tag in them...just in case you can't figure out my blur of a mess picture.

IMG_3947%20copy-L.jpg

IMG_3948%20copy-L.jpg

IMG_3950%20copy-L.jpg

IMG_3951%20copy-L.jpg

IMG_3953%20copy-L.jpg

IMG_3949%20copy-L.jpg

This place is seriously gorgeous!

P3280205%20copy-L.jpg

Omg it's beautiful!! I need to go here! Would you say it's walking distance from the port?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by DebbieMo

Of course it didn't help that I also had a glass in between me and the picture I was trying to get, so there was a bunch of glare too.

IMG_3954%20copy-L.jpg

They were swimming in the opposite direction that the ship was going, so we decided to move upstairs to see if we could still see them and get some pictures without the glass in the way. Of course, this never happened...we didn't see them anymore. Everyone on our roll call was reporting seeing the whales and taking pictures. It was such a beautiful site. Some day we are going to go whale watching, on a boat as an excursion, and it's going to be awesome I'm sure. Sakari just loves whales...she has an entire collection of them and can name them all.

We headed up to the sports deck and Sakari wanted to go on the ropes course. They were closed. I'm not really sure why because I personally didn't think it was that windy out and I had definitely done a ropes course on the Getaway and Breakaway in a lot more severe wind than this but whatever (and yes I did have the Funtimes with me and they were supposed to be open).

We settled for some putt putt since we hadn't got a chance to do this yet.

IMG_3956%20copy-L.jpg

IMG_3957%20copy-L.jpg

IMG_3958%20copy-L.jpg

IMG_3955%20copy-L.jpg

It was a pretty cool little putt putt course and actually 2 floors. When you hit a certain section, you then take it upstairs a level to play. Then you hit the ball into a certain hole and it winds down a "bubble gum machine" clear tube and ends up back down below for your final shot. Pretty cool.

After putt putt, Sakari and I would play a little corn hole. The hubby tried first and was standing back real far. He wasn't doing too well and I'm pretty sure this is probably the first time he had ever played. I was laughing at just how far off he was and of course he's going to dare me to "try it" because it's not that easy. I tried, I got over 50% of them in...now what??? He told me to step back, I did and still got several of them in. Hey, what can I say, I'm a good aim.

IMG_3959%20copy-L.jpg

I really love how colorful they have the sports deck decorated. Once again, these weird looking hard plastic chairs are actually comfortable. Seriously! I wouldn't mind having a few of them.

We decided to head downstairs for something to drink. We passed our options...

IMG_3960%20copy-L.jpg

and kept going. I bought the pop package for us, so might as well get some use out of it.

We headed down to the pool deck and I would send the hubby for our drinks...since he's the red card newbie and all.

IMG_3964%20copy-L.jpg

IMG_3965%20copy-L.jpg

IMG_3966%20copy-L.jpg

IMG_3962%20copy-L.jpg

He's giving me that look like "You send me to get drinks and you're within a few feet of me still?"

IMG_3963%20copy-L.jpg

IMG_3961%20copy-L.jpg

IMG_3968%20copy-L.jpg

I got comfortable in a lounge chair, where I would decide I really didn't feel like moving...for the rest of the night. LOL

The Dive In movies was going to have Jurrasic World on and we had taken Sakari to the movies to see it when it first came out. She loved it and had to tell us what every single dinosaur in the movie was called. She just amazed me. She said she wanted to stay and watch it instead of going to the kids club and that's what we decided to do.

IMG_3970%20copy-L.jpg

We were sitting in the back row, right beside the Blue Iguana and we had to endure them making the popcorn. Oh my it smelled so good. But, they would not start handing it out until the movie started at 7:30pm.

I knew from previous experience, on the Pride, that they had the wonderful plush warm towels you could sign out. I went over to the towel shack to see about getting one and was told they don't start handing them out until 7:15pm. I'm really not sure what the deal was with this and why it was so important to wait until then. There had been people coming up asking several times about them and instead they would sign out a pool towel instead. I wasn't interested in a "pool towel". If I wanted one of those, I would go to my room to get one. I wanted the plush soft blanket.

At approximately 7:15pm and no sooner, even with people standing there, they started signing the blankets out and I was a happy camper with 2 of them.

Poor Sakari and Peanut was freezing...but Peanut wasn't getting much of the blanket at this point.

IMG_3972%20copy-L.jpg

I would text Kendra back home that I was "at the movies" lol and show her proof and she relayed to me that she was too. LOL (She and her family goes to the movies a lot).

At exactly 7:30pm, they started handing out the popcorn and I signaled the red card newbie to hustle over to get us some. Now this popcorn is pretty much plain and no salt. They say there's butter but if you are expecting Orville Redenbachers Butter Lovers tasty popcorn, you have come to the wrong place.

IMG_3974%20copy-L.jpg

The movie was just as good the second time as it was the first time and we all managed to stay awake...including Sakari.

Of course we were hungry after the movie, but obviously there was no food to get unless we wanted pizza again or something from the deli. We opted to just head back to the room.

We returned to find this towel animal to greet us.

IMG_3975%20copy-L.jpg

We headed to bed, listening to the clanging of the galley workers fighting, using their chairs as armor, and flinging pots and pans at each other and several hours later, I would finally drift off to sleep.

That's all I have for you now. I have to gather up my next days pictures (San Juan) before continuing with the review. This might not happen until tomorrow or so. I need a break. I have been at this since getting up this morning, then again after returning home from work. I haven't even done my charting yet.

I hope everyone is enjoying the review.

We had a wonderful day in Grand Turk. The water there is just gorgeous. I have seen the island now and can say I been there, done that. When I return, I will probably opt to stay at the cruise port and explore a little more toward the Conch Graveyard and a little more toward Jacks Shack.

If I had to pick a beach to go to...it would definitely be Governors Beach again. Or, I would have to search for others I haven't explored yet.

Grand Turk is a definite must do on a cruise. Very pretty. :)

Saving my place...heading here on the Vista in December, can't wait!!!

I also have my Pride review in my signature line if you are interest in it as well. We came here then too and stayed on the beach and also walked down toward the Conch Graveyard. That side of the beach is very pretty and not many go down that way. It also has pictures of the port area and shopping to that I did not include in this report. :)

Omg it's beautiful!! I need to go here! Would you say it's walking distance from the port?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes it's within walking distance. I believe I had read somewhere that it's about 20 minutes to walk to.

I do agree after sailing NCL I did enjoy having more options for dining on "off" hours. My biggest issue is the very few options when we get back after an excursion. We are always hungry and nothing is open and room service has a huge wait. But evenings have never really bothered us. I do like the deli or pizza. We often just opt for room service for a late night snack. I'm hoping you thought to check out this option while on the Breeze. If not remember for next time :)