Trip Report - First Time Celebrity (Century Pacific Coastal)

Lisah101

Very good empanada!

IMG_2831.jpg

Salads were fresh and good

IMG_2832.jpg

My first steak - looked great but was so rare I couldn't eat it (ordered medium well)

IMG_2833.jpg

second steak - so tough I gave up and just went for desert. Note, this was the only time I said anything about my mean and only because they kept asking me why I wasn't eating my steak (2nd time I told them it was a little red for me)

IMG_2834.jpg

DH's turkey - he said it was excellent

IMG_2836.jpg

Poached Pear and gorgonzola cheese in Phyllo

Was ok - needed a sharp knife to cut through the phyllo dough.

IMG_2846.jpg

Smoked ham and split pea soup - Excellent!

IMG_2847.jpg

Beef Bourgiungnon - complete miss - so fatty it was hard to find meat

IMG_2848.jpg

Never actual got to try Happy Hour. Biggest issue was there is no sports bar, it was a sea day during March Madness and the game was on CBS which the ship didn't carry :( We don't watch much TV on cruises, but Louisville was playing and it was a big deal for us. We tried to watch some of the games on the TV in the lounge just outside the door to the upper level dining room. The bar servers in the lounge never came over to that section despite the fact there wasn't an empty seat in front of the television.

Sometimes service is the best we've seen, then other times, its a complete fail.

IMG_2485.jpg

It was March Madness... Louisville was playing.... so we found a sports bar.

This was a great place, we met some great people and had a lot of fun. We will always remember the bartender Burl - recovering from his birthday.

IMG_2549.jpg

IMG_2545.jpg

IMG_2540.jpg

IMG_2541.jpg

IMG_2542.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg

OK, I'm a bit of a foodie and so is DH. He checked out Diners Drive Ins and Dives and found several places from San Francisco that had been on the show. We picked Tommy's Joynt to check out for lunch.

IMG_2760.jpg

IMG_2762.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2764.jpg

LISAH101

I have sailed Celebrity several times, but only on S Class ships and have never encountered any of the issues that you have mentioned. So far, I am afraid to change the type of ship, mostly due to a sailing many years ago on a very old ship. It let me down and I didn't cruise again for quite a while. With Celebrity, I have only cruised in Europe...

I enjoyed your photos and have been to many of those places. I do live in the West. Hopefully, you enjoyed your cruise!

Edited by Lastdance

I forgot to take my camera when we were in Monterey and I purposely did not take it to Ensenada. It was a great trip, but not sure Celebrity is for me, even with the future cruise vouchers.

There was such a focus by the ship on distinct "class" service that it felt more like the haves and have nots. So much is separately by what class cabin you have to signify if you are allowed in this lounge or that dining area that it really put me off. Also - more high pressure sales and up-sells for everything including OJ at breakfast, no tomato juice at the buffet, etc.

The food was hit or miss, but more hit. The service was excellent, but a few times non existent (bar waiters in the lounge, guest services had ZERO follow through on 4 instances they promised to contact us 0 out of 4 is very bad).

Room stewart and dining room staff were the BEST ever.

Main dining room late seating. Our table for 8 was never full. ALmost everyone was on wait list for early seating and got it leaving us alone or with one other couple a few times. Maitre D made no attempt to contact us or help. We specified a large table so we could meet new friends, not sit alone!

Tendering was often HOURS long - Cruise Director even admitted they are not good at tendering and unfortunately we had 3 tender ports.

Hard to find public space to sit and read a book - very limited on this ship, especially given the weather was so cold and rainy. The few inside places that could be found were always full and people milling about to "grab empty seats" when available.

Entertainment was good, however the room we were moved to (without our permission) was directly over the theater and so loud, you couldn't sleep or even be in the room when they were practicing or performing. Queries to Guest Services were again met with a "we'll have someone contact you", but no one ever did.

Had some rough sea days, but not too bad. Had a few folks in our hallway constantly leaving trays of food outside their doors. I think this is disgusting and don't understand why they don't leave it in their rooms for the steward or just take it back. Especially in rough seas, hard to walk down the hallway without stepping in someone's garbage. Or hard for the scooters to navigate around.

The only other real fail was the buffet. Constantly out of something. Often times it was silverware to the point people were taking silverware and keeping it for the next meal. Food would be cold because you were waiting 15+ minutes for clean silverware to come out. When we asked of the managers, he blamed it on the passengers all coming to eat at the same time. That one really annoyed me.

I loved the service, the room and most of the food, but its up to each of us to decide what are the priorities for them and if that cruise line meets the need. For me, It's probably Holland America. Never saying never on Celebrity, maybe it was just the Century, but we shall see.

Edited by Lisah101

To be honest it sounds like the issue with your cabin spoiled the cruise for you before you even got on board, which is dreadful :( I can understand you would not have been happy and can only hope the future cruise vouchers were adequate compensation.

To be honest it sounds like the issue with your cabin spoiled the cruise for you before you even got on board, which is dreadful :( I can understand you would not have been happy and can only hope the future cruise vouchers were adequate compensation.

You are probably right. I tried hard to let it go, but the missing rrom key and not getting a boarding card just didnt start it off right.

I tried to look at each individual piece without bias to keep the cusomter service part separate, but its not always easy. DH did look at options to use the credit, but not many at all from the west coast without spending $800 or more on airfare. The one we did find was an Alaskan cruise, but it was on the Century so we decided to pass. Panama Canal is out our list but the fall sailings are mostly gone now. Any suggestions would be great!