tendering

loobylouuk

Hi I'm on Oceana in a week and a bit and we are off to Dubrovnik/Hvar/Split and Venice.

Can anyone who has done this trip please tell me which ports are tenders and roughly what timethey asking you to be back on board. Thanks in advance.....just weighing up trips

You will certainly be docked in Venice. Dubrovnik seems to have 4 ships in the day you are there so my guess is that you will be docked in Gruz Harbour with the other 3. This is about 3.5km outside the city. Time back aboard depends on the itinerary, so can change. I haven't been to Hvar but believe this may be a tender port. Port timings are sadly sometimes adjusted so it is difficult to be sure of timings ahead of the cruise.

Looking at the pando website, none of them are tender ports..it would have an anchor by the place name if they were. If you want to know what time they are expected to leave beyond early/mid/late afternoon, either ring pando direct and ask. Others have done this and been told the expected times. Or go on the separate port websites which will give when the ships are booked in for..Or look at some of the pando day excursions, that will tell you how many hours the tour lasts, so make sure you are back on board before the excursion coaches come back. Ofcourse none of these times are set in stone in any way what so ever..which is probably why pando do not like giving precide arrival/departure times (we once spent over an hour trying to dock because of the wind)

Hi I'm on Oceana in a week and a bit and we are off to Dubrovnik/Hvar/Split and Venice.

Can anyone who has done this trip please tell me which ports are tenders and roughly what timethey asking you to be back on board. Thanks in advance.....just weighing up trips

I find this pretty reliable, unforeseen circumstances - weather etc to one side. 14th - 28th June all port times were correct except that we left Rhodes half an hour earlier. Just as well as we were a little late getting back to Malta.

http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/ItineraryPrint/tabid/2919/Default.aspx?sailID=CarnUK/E814

We were on Oceana for a week last month and the CruiseCal timings were pretty much spot on. Think we were a little bit delayed being allowed off in Venice, maybe half an hour, while something or other got sorted out! All aboard time each day seemed to be 30 minutes before the departure, e.g. must be back on board at 9.30pm in Dubrovnik for a 10pm departure, with the last shuttle bus departing Pile Gate by the Old Town at 8.45pm.

From the info here it looks like Hvar and Split could be tender ports: https://www.pocruises.com/e814/

Not called at either but we used the tenders at Sibenik, seemed very efficient at getting people off the boat via a ticket system (although we had a lie in so may have missed the early rush!). All aboard time was 30 mins before departure, last tender was 30 minutes before that, last shuttle bus back to the tender was 30 minutes before that again!

Yes we found the tendering efficient at Sibenik. Only trouble was you then needed to get the shuttle from the tender point (nothing of interest in the immediate area) into Sibenik itself. We were told the transfer time was half an hour. They often slightly over-estimate shuttle times probably so that people don't moan if it takes a bit longer but even so, it did affect our plans for the day.

We had booked a half day excursion and were picked up by the coach at the tender point. We were returned there at the end of the excursion. We had hoped that we could spend the afternoon looking around Sibenik but there was no shuttle available at the time we arrived back and not knowing how long it would be until one arrived, allowing for transfer times, getting the shuttle back then factoring in the time to tender back to ship we decided we'd have very little time in Sibenik. We rather reluctantly just went back to the ship.

But this is an unfortunate disadvantage of this port of call if you do an excursion. The logistics of tender then shuttle to get to the town then return to the ship rather militate against being able to make good use of the half day after your excursion. We generally like to do an excursion then wander around the port of call afterwards - not very easy here. Sibenik may have been a very pretty town but we felt we didn't have time to find out. May be worth bearing in mind if Sibenik is on your itinerary and you are planning your day/doing excursions there.

Hvar will certainly be a tender port. There is no way whatsoever that a ship the size of Oceana could dock there. I have seen ships of her size docked in Split but moorings are limited, so you may have to tender.

For more info goto www.cruisetimetable.com that will tell you more about the port - Hvar is definitely TENDER.

Also goto http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/ItineraryPrint/tabid/2919/Default.aspx?sailID=CarnUK/E814 for your arrival/departure times - P&O's Captains use this website for the info as well as Head Office don't even tell them docking times, LOL.