Labadee - Quiet - Amiga Island?

SeaStar86

Loving this thread as I am interested for our May 2017 cruise. My question is concerning the beach. I sometimes have trouble getting out of the water when the slope is extreme and the sand is sooo soft. It doesn't look that way in the pictures but thought I would ask. I am a water person and would spend the entire floating / drifting on a mat. Thank you for any additional feedback :).

We were just there at the end of September. The sand is very soft and sloped getting in/out of the water. I would recommend water shoes for a better grip. We ended up with toe blisters from our toes being dug into the sand. That aside, it was absoutely amazing and beautiful! We loved it, spent the entire time in the water. The waiters will bring drinks out to you in the water and take your empties. Great time - would do it again.

• 1 month later...

This Island was absolutely beautiful. Walked the entire island in 10 minutes and spent the rest of the time in the beautiful water. The drinks were wonderful and they catered to you. Such an awesome excursion and got you away from the crowds at Labadee.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So, I found a bunch of videos of Amiga Island on youtube!!! It looks AMAZING! Check these out :)

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=amiga+island+haiti

Thanks much for the Heads Up Debbie:):) We leave in a week and we will be in Labadee and we are going to do the Zip Line. We were there last year and we could not find anyone to make a video so I am going to find someone this year or I just might do it myself. Thanks again:):)

• 2 months later...

Seriously this was the most overpriced excursion I have ever been on!

$69 to go to a boring island with no fish and tons of plastic & beer bottles in the water.

No food...one drink with no liquor..the entire stop was awful!

Compare this with excursions like Woodwind/Bonaire where you get a full day on a Cat with food & drinks!

Huge ripoff!...

Never again..

We just did this a week ago. Yes, it may be a little overpriced, but when you consider how much it costs to do other "excursions" (activities) on Labadee, it wasn't that bad. We had a great time -- it was a getaway to a little paradise island. I will agree with the above that there isn't food, and you only get one included-drink out of it... and yes, the island could use a bit of a quick clean up.... but it was a fun 20-minute boat ride from the pier to the island; the island itself looked like a mini Gilligan's island -- tons of sand and water to swim in; we didn't partake in the bar beyond the included drink, but you could if you really want. We just relished in how serene and quiet it was (especially compared with the rest of Labadee, where we couldn't even find a spec of beach to put our towels and bags). We didn't try to snorkel around there -- it didn't seem like there was much around to see, but it was just a nice peaceful place to get away from the mobs of people.

We walked the entire little island. Again, yes, it could stand to have someone go around and clean up sadly discarded trash (whether it was left there by past visitors or washed ashore)... but there was lots of great shells, sand and water to walk around.

We had a great 2 hours.

• 2 weeks later...

We went on Indy in Dec of 2013 and did the private sandbar excursion. It stopped at an island that looks just like Amiga. However, there were no chairs, hammocks, no bar, and no "outhouse" type bathroom. My question is...is Amiga what use to be the sandbar private island stop? We enjoyed that excursion even though only 1 HR on the island. We are going back this Dec. and have booked Amiga mainly because it has the hammocks and chairs and shade...plus hoping for the 2 hrs Versus the 1 Hr we had before.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Amiga is a separate excursion from Sandbar getaway. At Amiga, you have use of the whole island, including the chairs and shade, and facilities. The people on the Sandbar getaway moored offshore and just used a small portion of the beach that I seem to recall was roped off. We were very happy we chose Amiga as our excursion on our Jan. 2016 cruise as we had the whole island to explore. It was very new at that time.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

No, you cannot use the beverage package on Amiga island. There is a cash bar for some rum drinks. Very limited but awesome service! The waiters walk right out into the water to take your empties and bring you drinks. :)

Seriously this was the most overpriced excursion I have ever been on!

$69 to go to a boring island with no fish and tons of plastic & beer bottles in the water.

No food...one drink with no liquor..the entire stop was awful!

Compare this with excursions like Woodwind/Bonaire where you get a full day on a Cat with food & drinks!

Huge ripoff!...

Never again..

So... With all the hype I'm reading through all the pages, and then I come across this one. What?! So is the island dirty - plastic & bear bottles in the water. Nothing truly exciting about this excursion? Has it become run down since over the years since people first began posting, or is it still a good option?

• 2 weeks later...
Can you bring back a few sand dollars & shells? Could you bring them on the ship?

Living near the beach as a child, I learned that when collecting shells, make sure there are no critters in them or once they die, the shell wreaks! BTW, I have brought back shells from all over the world. In fact, that is how I used to abbreviate my time in customs by heading to lines where you had to declare something. (Always shorter than the others). When I showed the agents my shells, they just laughed and waved me on through.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody been on this excursion recently? I am going on the Allure in Sept. 2017 and wanted to make sure the island still looked like in the pictures. Is it still clean and calm, or full of trash? Also, I read that the Columbus Cove beach on Labadee is nice as well. Is it just as nice as Amiga Island? I have a limited budget for excursions so I don't want to book Amiga if I would get a similar water and beach experience at Columbus Cove.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!

Has anybody been on this excursion recently? I am going on the Allure in Sept. 2017 and wanted to make sure the island still looked like in the pictures. Is it still clean and calm, or full of trash? Also, I read that the Columbus Cove beach on Labadee is nice as well. Is it just as nice as Amiga Island? I have a limited budget for excursions so I don't want to book Amiga if I would get a similar water and beach experience at Columbus Cove.

I was just on Labadee this past Thursday, and while I cannot tell you anything about Amiga Island, I would say "save your money" because Columbus Cove beach is beautiful. I found no reason whatsoever to spend additional money on Labadee. There are so many places to go, and things to do, on Labadee. And Columbus Cove, while a bit crowded, met every expectation. You won't be disappointed.

• 1 month later...

I just got back from a cruise on Anthem of the Seas. We took the excursion to Amiga island. It was wonderful. The island is nice and shaded and lots of lounge furniture. The boat takes you right up to the island. There is no dock so you have to step in the water. They help you. The staff is so nice. The water is so calm and so clear. All the shells that wash up are whole shells not in broken pieces.

I just got back from a cruise on Anthem of the Seas. We took the excursion to Amiga island. It was wonderful. The island is nice and shaded and lots of lounge furniture. The boat takes you right up to the island. There is no dock so you have to step in the water. They help you. The staff is so nice. The water is so calm and so clear. All the shells that wash up are whole shells not in broken pieces.

• 2 months later...