Pocketknives on the ship

LeesaB

Ziplock bags are your friend. When I know I have to clear some type of security I put all the stuff in baggies ahead of time. Drop in tray and disperse as time allows after clearing.

Thank you for that advice! So obvious, but we hadn't thought of it.

DH feels naked without his multitool, which of course includes a small knife (less than 3" long). NCL's website states that knives over 4" are not allowed, but how consistent are they with this? And should he make sure to put it in checked baggage or anything? What about at ports?

Buy him this, thank me later.

https://www.leatherman.com/tread-425.html?dwvar_425_color=10&cgid=tread#start=1

EDIT: I’ve taken this on several plane flights and two cruises.

If your name is Crocodile Dundee "Now that's a Kenife" !

Something between a machete and a Bowie knife !

Really put your bladed instruments in a small "Red Cross" first aid kit

and it should past muster for NCL purposes !

You will need it to patch up the cuts.

These are not the weapons of mass destruction that the droids are looking for !

I didn't know that MacGyver could disassemble a cruise ship with a Swiss Army Knife !

Overkill to the nth degree - The Boy Scouts would not be impressed - the silverware

in Cagney's and the cutting utensils in Moderno - who is watching the store here ?

In light of the times I think I will lodge a protest with the "NKA" sister action committee to the NRA

"NKA" National Knife Association

Hah! My husband is your husband's brother in spirit. In addition to most of the above he also carries hand sanitizer, non-latex gloves, and other EMT stuff! Going through airport security takes extra time due to all the loading/unloading of pockets. Oh, and a ton of coins, for some reason.

We always carry CD’s, two rolls of dimes and extra socks. ;)

A few years ago in Port Canaveral, my DH had to leave his tiny baby Buck knife (1 3/4" blade!) at Security due to an overzealous screener. He had to fill out a form and got a little receipt back so he could pick it up at the end of the cruise.

Meanwhile, I sailed easily through Security behind him with a Swiss Army knife (not one of the big fat ones, a slim one) in a cosmetic bag in my oversized travel purse. My knife had a longer 2" blade. (although I don't really care much about the blade - that knife has a great pair of tiny tweezers, a toothpick, and a little pair of scissors which I find very useful)

DH was determined to recover his favorite little pocket knife, so after the cruise, we went to the naughty table in the terminal to get it back. Among the contraband arrayed there were 3 or 4 full size irons and not one but TWO large crockpots.

He did recover his little knife. We get why some people think they need irons, but we talked all the way home about WHY somebody would need a crockpot on a cruise.

We couldn't come up with any reason to bring one - any ideas?

Judy

................We get why some people think they need irons, but we talked all the way home about WHY somebody would need a crockpot on a cruise.

Judy

I don't see anything out of the ordinary about that. Who doesn't like a nice beef stew waiting in their cabin after a long day of shore excursions?

I don't see anything out of the ordinary about that. Who doesn't like a nice beef stew waiting in their cabin after a long day of shore excursions?

That must be it! Lots of people complain about the menu and food in the MDR...maybe they're doing their own ensuite cooking by hunting and gathering from the buffet.;)

Judy

Among the contraband arrayed there were 3 or 4 full size irons and not one but TWO large crockpots.

He did recover his little knife. We get why some people think they need irons, but we talked all the way home about WHY somebody would need a crockpot on a cruise.

Judy

As reader of the "DisBoard," I think it's quite likely that the crock potters are followers of the "budget board" and combining a cruise with a trip to WDW. :D They need the crock pot at the motel.

You guys are really funny. Yeah let's bring knives on cruise ships and then sign up for unlimited alcohol. Guess what will happen on board, one giant knife fight or something. Sounds like the streets of Brooklyn, NY in Nassau, Bahamas.

But seriously, I always bring my Victorinox Swiss Army Knife on board in case I need a tool such as wine opener or need to turn a screw. I don't think of the knife as a weapon as I dull out the blades anyway and don't sharpen them.

This made me laugh today! :D

I took my parents on a cruise last year, and my 75 year old Father never got his luggage.

Shortly after we inquired about it, ship security delivered a note to their cabin, inviting them down to the "naughty room"!!!

We all went down to the security office and they asked my Dad to identify his bag.

He did....they opened it....and there it was.....

Unbeknownst to the rest of us, my dad had packed a full blown TOOL KIT!! :eek:

Why?

No one knows.....but I suppose it is His natural inclination to be prepared for anything at all times! HAHA!

We all still laugh about it til this day.....and now we know He is not alone out there!!

THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR STORY!! :')

Thats GREAT! I always bring a flashlight and a small roll of duct tape

You guys are really funny. Yeah let's bring knives on cruise ships and then sign up for unlimited alcohol. Guess what will happen on board, one giant knife fight or something. Sounds like the streets of Brooklyn, NY in Nassau, Bahamas.

But seriously, I always bring my Victorinox Swiss Army Knife on board in case I need a tool such as wine opener or need to turn a screw. I don't think of the knife as a weapon as I dull out the blades anyway and don't sharpen them.

People who carry knives every day tend to think of them as tools, same as my flashlight. And while I could get into a knife fight with my pocketknife, I could also just use any of the various other items lying around as weapons, forks, spoons, broken bottles, mop handles, golf clubs. For someone who wants to fight there are no limits to the weapons readily available.

People who carry knives every day tend to think of them as tools, same as my flashlight. And while I could get into a knife fight with my pocketknife, I could also just use any of the various other items lying around as weapons, forks, spoons, broken bottles, mop handles, golf clubs. For someone who wants to fight there are no limits to the weapons readily available.

You are quite right. In fact, you wouldn't even have to look very hard on a ship for an improvised weapon. I think I might even be able to do some serious damage to an eyeball with a hard plastic swizzle stick if I had to. And a swizzle stick would be EASILY obtained! (I'd probably have one in my hand anyway. :o Unless it was before breakfast.)

Judy

I too have a hubby with a multi tool addiction! :D:D:D

But on cruises, I am the one who carries it. Actually I have a small one (mini multi tool, about half the size of his daily carrier) that I keep in my makeup bag and it goes on every cruise with us! (Gotta have those itty bitty scissors for emergencies) And I'm positive that we have used it for something on every cruise!

I take one in my checked baggage to have in the cabin. I could carry it around on the ship then if I wished. However, boarding at a port it would have to be placed through the scanner. But, if under 4 inch blade, rules say ok. Personally, to avoid any question and interpretation by different security persons scanning, I'd leave it on the ship at ports.

Exactly what I do. I carry it on the ship, leave it in the safe when in ports, and keep it in checked luggage to and from the ship. Personally, it comes in handy so many times that I hate to be without it.