Flight can I do it

gilby

I am wondering if I could make a 950 am flight off the carnival splendor in sept 2017 Says we dock 8:00 am. It will be at Fort Lauderdale cruise port.

Edited by CC Help Michell
member request; typo

Assuming they allow you to depart shortly after docking (usually within a half hour) and you self debark--take your own luggage off--you could make it. This will depend upon Customs/ Coast Guard/ Inspections.

FLL is not that far away from Port Everglades. Maybe 15 minutes tops.

Getting through security at FLL could be your biggest hangup, depending upon which airline you are on, terminal you are out of, and number of other planes departing from that terminal within an hour plus or minus of your flight, all of which will affect your wait in line. But if you can get to FLL by 9A or 9:15 A you will probably be okay.

The ship could be late in arriving back to port. USCBP may delay debarkation. There could be traffic issues on the way to the airport. There could be a delay in getting thru security. Myself, I would not plan a flight that early.

I wouldn't chance it. You'd have to line up well ahead of time and be one of the first off the ship. On our last cruise we went down a little after disembarking began and while the line moved quickly, was still about an hour to get from our stateroom to the curb.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We cruise out of FLL a lot and I think you will be cutting it close... if you run into any issues with delay getting off the ship or back up at the airport. We always do the early Platinum disembarkation (so basically first ones off the ship) and I still wouldn't cut it the close, personal opinion.

You might be OK, but if you can get something a little later you would be better off.

Note that with this flight time you are cutting it close. You will begin stressing about catching this return flight about 2 days before your cruise ends.

What is your back up plan should you miss the flight?

Sure, the airline will put you on the next flight out (THAT HAS AVAILABLE SEATS). That could be same day, next day, next week. Airlines run full flights these days. All additional expenses will be on you and insurance will not cover this.

Unless you can tell the future, there is simply no way of knowing if you can and will make it. A thousand people can comment here that they made it, but that has absolutely no bearing on whether you will or not. Ships can be delayed coming back to port for any number of reasons. Or they may face a delay getting cleared for debarkation. With a flight that early, all it will take is one small delay for you to miss your flight. I say don't end your vacation on such a stressful note and book something later on during the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I wouldn't want to end my vacation stressing about making it or not. The earlier flights are cheaper and would love to be able to do it but its just cutting it too close so we just book a later flight, hang out at the airport and take the hit in the wallet with the more expensive later flight. It is what it is.

There is no way I would do risk it. Last year, there was a medical emergency once we docked at port. They were not letting anyone off of the ship until the passenger was taken off. It delayed us over an hour. Too much could happen.