substituting person on reservation

moki'smommy

OK, I just got off the phone with a Princess rep, but we all know that their information is not always correct.

There are 3 of us in a cabin. At this point, we would like to keep everything "as is," but the grandfather of person number 3 has been in and out of the hospital several times recently. If she decides that she can't go, I'd like to be able to offer the trip to another friend. Princess tells me that they don't do name changes--it would be a matter of canceling person number 3 and rebooking another person in the room at whatever the going rate is, and accepting the cancelation penalty for the current number 3.

This really doesn't sound right to me based on my knowledge of other lines where they do allow a name change at no charge up to a point and for a small administrative fee thereafter. Does anyone here have experience with Princess on this issue?

I don't need to know about invoking insurance and such--that part I already know. All I'm asking about is the name change policy.

We didn't have the repricing issue a few years ago with Princess.....we had a family Alaska cruise trip planned, and a few months before the trip, my Dad required open heart surgery. Mom and Dad had to bow out of the trip, but the remaining 7 of us were going. I chose to keep the window suite booking I had for them, and let each set of our kids (adults) enjoy it for one week. This gets a bit more involved, since I had my dad and I in one window suite and my mom and DH in the other....well, DH and I are elite.....anyhow, we would have simply put the correct couple in the correct cabin. OK, back on track, so moving the "kids" involved name changes on the bookings, keeping one of the original passengers in each of the window suites, and changing one passenger in each. No issues were raised concerning a change in pricing or associated OBC offers, et al. Believe me, if they wanted to raise the price, the kids could have managed for their two weeks each in the balcony cabins already booked for them.

That is the only time I have had to substitute passengers - others might have more, or more recent experience. Prayers for her grandfather......

Usually, you can change the second or third person's name on the booking as long as one name remains the same. So, you should be able to just change the name on the third passenger if you aren't under penalty yet. If you are, you may have to cancel that person, pay any cancellation fees then rebook the new third person at the prevailing rate.

If it's not too late, she could get insurance to cover some of the money she might lose.

Thanks...we've got the insurance issues covered. And the more I think about inviting the other person, the more negatives I see. There are certainly positives as well, but...everything is a trade off.

As long as at least one of the original three names remains on the booking, the other name(s) can be changed at no cost up until a stated number of days before embarkation at which time there would be a fee for the change. Within several days before embarkation no change can be made.

As long as at least one of the original three names remains on the booking, the other name(s) can be changed at no cost up until a stated number of days before embarkation at which time there would be a fee for the change. Within several days before embarkation no change can be made.

This is exactly the policy on other lines...and what I expected on Princess.

Granted, it was back in 2004 when we did this, but I was able to go in the place of someone who had to cancel, for a fee of $50. The person who had to cancel had insurance and I incurred no additional charges (except the cost of a last minute flight from Atlanta to Ft. Lauderdale!)

I am pretty sure you can do this. If it is right before the cruise, it may include a small name change fee (used to be $50). I would call back and ask for a supervisor.

I believe you work with a travel agent. I would call them. They should be able to give you an accurate answer. They also deal with "better customer service agents" then if you or me call into Princess.

Thank you! Yes, a small administrative fee was the answer I was expecting. And yes, I have an excellent TA. I was trying to save her some hassle since it was a change I wasn't ready to make at this time; I was looking at future possibilities. We have some time before the cruise, and the grandfather could improve or decline during that time. The cruiser's family is encouraging her to do the cruise.

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions. I do have a much clearer picture of our options now and I more strongly suspect that the Princess rep was wrong.