Queens Grill dining is it better

Windsurfboy

1st time on Cunard, 1st time in PG. Will we also be able to order things off the menu? I love tableside presentation such as Dover sole and Steak Diane. We're on a guarantee, so in my dreams we are upgraded to QG. Wonder what the odds are. We sail May of '19 and in P1 there are 7 cabins left. Any thoughts?

1st time on Cunard, 1st time in PG. Will we also be able to order things off the menu? I love tableside presentation such as Dover sole and Steak Diane. We're on a guarantee, so in my dreams we are upgraded to QG. Wonder what the odds are. We sail May of '19 and in P1 there are 7 cabins left. Any thoughts?

Don’t mean to be the bearer of bad news but off menu ordering in PG is generally at the discretion of the MD and doesn’t happen very often. That’s not to say it hasn’t happened or won’t happen again- just not part of the normal program.

You do however get the a la carte menu which is the best part of upgrading to Grills.

In terms of an upgrade we’ve got one once from PG (really Britannia Grill on QE2 but same thing) and were upgraded to a Q3 on One Deck. Has never happened to us on QM2 since. So again, possible, but extremely unlikely.

Although we North American Cunarders "enjoy" about 20% of the Cunard website with NO access to most of it, including the sample menus, you can "break into" the UK site via Hulu and other web workarounds. There are sample and up to date menu samples for all restaurants, room service etc etc.

And frankly, the a la carte menu (which changes every seven days btw) for both Queens and Princess Grill is... impressive and covers starters, main courses and maybe (although not listed on the web) desserts. And while you may not be able to special order on a whim in PG, you'd have to be pretty fussy not to find more than enough from the a la carte and the daily menus. It's far better in terms of choice than say Oceania MDR.

I was interested that luncheon is the same for Queens and Princess Grills. But as a huge breakfast fan, QG offers an expanded choice including my favourite, Kedgeree.... I guess as a lowly PG passenger I will have to sulk a bit for 17 days come August. Or maybe try a special order at breakfast in PG....!

Edited by kohl57

I was interested that luncheon is the same for Queens and Princess Grills. But as a huge breakfast fan, QG offers an expanded choice including my favourite, Kedgeree.... I guess as a lowly PG passenger I will have to sulk a bit for 17 days come August. Or maybe try a special order at breakfast in PG....!

You have 17 days- could always try a hunger strike for Kedgeree for the first two...

Although we North American Cunarders "enjoy" about 20% of the Cunard website with NO access to most of it, including the sample menus, you can "break into" the UK site via Hulu and other web workarounds. There are sample and up to date menu samples for all restaurants, room service etc etc.

And frankly, the a la carte menu (which changes every seven days btw) for both Queens and Princess Grill is... impressive and covers starters, main courses and maybe (although not listed on the web) desserts. And while you may not be able to special order on a whim in PG, you'd have to be pretty fussy not to find more than enough from the a la carte and the daily menus. It's far better in terms of choice than say Oceania MDR.

Our experience in PG was that it was very easy to special order things on the QG menu within reason, so I would explain politely to the M.D. that kedgeree is your absolute favourite and see what they suggest.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Off menu dishes ordered, either by individuals or as a table on our last couple of cruises on Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria. Twenty four hours notice is usually given

Garlic prawn linguine

Spaghetti bolognese

Spaghetti scaloppine - all three cooked tableside

Peking Duck -three days notice needed

anything off the Lido pop up restaurant menus -discuss ''when'' with the Maitre 'd

Italian evening which involves table side cooking of the pasta -menu sorted out by the Maitre 'd - warning, the cold appetizer was a meal in itself, wonderful

Indian evening - menu sorted out by the Maitre 'd

a couple of days notice was given for the Italian/Indian meals

Caesar salad - tableside prepared

Caviar as an appetizer as often as you wish - no need to pre order in my experience

Crepes Suzette- usually order at lunch time for dinner same evening but can ask that evening if it's possible and it often is

Hope this gives a few ideas for you. Enjoy.

Thanks - food for thought (lots of thought lol)

I always wondered how PG/QG caters to vegetarians. Whenever I had a look at the sample menus, I thought "Nah, an inside cabin will do." Do you have to order off menu or do they come up with a plan?

Also, what if you start ordering off menu but outside the usual French/Italian/contemporary British theme they do? Can they cope with requests for dishes from the Spanish, Russian, Indian, Chinese or even African cuisine? (i.e. elephant steak, but not a masala tandoori one)

QM2 Queens Grill dining really under-delivered for us. The food gets a "B" overall, which is a failing grade since Cunard bills the restaurant as the best on the seas. Many dishes from their printed menu must be ordered in advance. The same with caviar service, which is very stingy. We paid for a wine that was an older vintage than the one they brought to serve, and when I pointed the discrepancy out to our wine waiter, he just shrugged. A dry-aged steak I ordered was an inferior, flavourless cut. In short, very disappointing.

The dining on Seabourn is far superior at nearly the same price point. Frankly, the meals on Viking (ocean) are much, much better.

Queens Grill on QM2 certainly could (and did) excel with Indian cuisine. I had two exemplary Indian lunches. No British (and she was too back then) Merchant Navy ship worthy of the name can't produce a curry lunch. Mine was probably straight from the officer's wardroom. I was just astonished that QE's lido almost never featured curries at lunch, it was almost always my very least favourite cuisine, Chinese, and reinforced my inclination never to eat in the cafeteria.

One really nice feature of Oceania, one of the few lines I know that really makes an effort at MDR luncheon (so many ships including Viking and HAL don't even serve a proper lunch in the dining room every day), is their Tastes (or is it Flavours) of the World, with a delicious tasting menu of rotating international cuisine everyday: Greek, Spanish, West Indian/Caribbean, Mexican, Indian, Chinese, Thai etc etc. They used to feature tableside prepared pasta at luncheon, too, but sadly no more.

To me, a really good ocean liner dining room takes breakfast and luncheon as seriously as dinner and Cunard does as well as any line in the business in that regard.

The dining on Seabourn is far superior at nearly the same price point. Frankly, the meals on Viking (ocean) are much, much better.

Completely agree- which is a shame because Queens Grill 15-20 years ago on QE2 lived up to the hype (and no one was stingy with caviar).

It shouldn’t be surprising the passing similarities between the two because Cunard was running Seabourn when their brand standards were instituted. Seabourn is essentially a whole ship Queens Grill from the Cunard of 20-30 years ago (although they too have had some cost cutting). But agree that Seabourn has maintained a higher level of quality in the kitchen at the same price point as QG.

Our experience in PG was that it was very easy to special order things on the QG menu within reason, so I would explain politely to the M.D. that kedgeree is your absolute favourite and see what they suggest.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were offered kedgeree in the BC one day and devilled kidneys another,both recently on the QE.In fact I can't think of any breakfast item in the world that wasn't offered in the BC.

Completely agree- which is a shame because Queens Grill 15-20 years ago on QE2 lived up to the hype (and no one was stingy with caviar).

It shouldn’t be surprising the passing similarities between the two because Cunard was running Seabourn when their brand standards were instituted. Seabourn is essentially a whole ship Queens Grill from the Cunard of 20-30 years ago (although they too have had some cost cutting). But agree that Seabourn has maintained a higher level of quality in the kitchen at the same price point as QG.

Would be interesting to know the price of QG 20yrs ago and compare to todays price taking in inflation and price of fuel. Our first ever cruise on QE2 in 1997 was priced for the cheapest inside cabin on the ship and was over £800 a night for a 8 nt cruise (£100+pppd) comparing to today find taking into account inflation and fuel rises the price is as cheap today as it was then so something has to give and we cannot really expect the same standards 20+ yrs ago as we do today.

Would be interesting to know the price of QG 20yrs ago and compare to todays price taking in inflation and price of fuel. Our first ever cruise on QE2 in 1997 was priced for the cheapest inside cabin on the ship and was over £800 a night for a 8 nt cruise (£100+pppd) comparing to today find taking into account inflation and fuel rises the price is as cheap today as it was then so something has to give and we cannot really expect the same standards 20+ yrs ago as we do today.

I would have to go back and check- I remember it being more expensive than today but I would need to check that. From what I can recall off the top of my head a Q3 stateroom (which we would regularly book) was about $5000-6000 per person for a 5-6 day crossing which would make it both more expensive with inflation and per day cost (given crossings are now a tedious 7 days). BUT back then they did include complimentary business and sometimes first class airfare back to New York (with Concorde a very modest upgrade fee).

So it’s hard to tell because it’s not apples to apples. My guess is that Queens Grill had a modestly better margin for Cunard back in the day than it does for them today.

I would have to go back and check- I remember it being more expensive than today but I would need to check that. From what I can recall off the top of my head a Q3 stateroom (which we would regularly book) was about $5000-6000 per person for a 5-6 day crossing which would make it both more expensive with inflation and per day cost (given crossings are now a tedious 7 days). BUT back then they did include complimentary business and sometimes first class airfare back to New York (with Concorde a very modest upgrade fee).

So it’s hard to tell because it’s not apples to apples. My guess is that Queens Grill had a modestly better margin for Cunard back in the day than it does for them today.

From what you are saying if those were included and the food was much better then I should imagine if same standards were kept then the current price for QG would be a lot higher than is currently so it is understandable and as far as I am concerned acceptable that standards have changed in some peoples eyes for the worse. You have two options be happy with current standards and prices or go back to those standards and a lot higher prices.

Cruise/Crossing fares are all cheaper, in real dollars or pounds, adjusted for inflation than they were even five years ago. The on-line "inflation" calculators are useful and revealing to find just how much cheaper. Fares are cheaper, on board extras cost more. In the end, someone is still making money. A non drinker is likely to make out like a bandit now.

Back in the day on QE2, the Grill experience was just that. And there was no set "a la carte" menu, either. That defeats the whole concept of "what would YOU like, sir, tonight?" By limiting the choice initially to a set list, the whole grill concept is diluted. Even the regular grill menu was impressive although in actual number of dishes offered, maybe about the same as today although there was always a savoury at the very end which I miss as a tradition of fine English dining. Caviar, the real stuff, was there for the asking and not some little dollop on a Ritz cracker, either. But you had to really like and know food, dishes and cuisine to avail yourself of much of it. And have a maitre d and stewards who did, too. There certainly was more tableside preparation back then, too... the room reeked of those awful spirit burners they used as a result!

But it's all overall a better value today. Depending on the promotional fares, PG is cheaper than Oceania Cruises for comparable accommodation and at least for what I got, considerably, too.

Back in the day on QE2, the Grill experience was just that. And there was no set "a la carte" menu, either. That defeats the whole concept of "what would YOU like, sir, tonight?" By limiting the choice initially to a set list, the whole grill concept is diluted. Even the regular grill menu was impressive although in actual number of dishes offered, maybe about the same as today although there was always a savoury at the very end which I miss as a tradition of fine English dining. Caviar, the real stuff, was there for the asking and not some little dollop on a Ritz cracker, either. But you had to really like and know food, dishes and cuisine to avail yourself of much of it. And have a maitre d and stewards who did, too. There certainly was more tableside preparation back then, too... the room reeked of those awful spirit burners they used as a result!.

Having just gone back to the archives it was much more expensive back then to get onboard- but agree that once onboard it was less expensive than it is today. So that’s just flipped. Nothing drives that point home more than a one night Mother’s Day cruise I found in the process that I took some family on in the mid 90s for about $1100 per person Queens Grill...ouch. No idea what was going through my head at the time.

The liberal use of table side prep was also fun at a time when restaurants ashore were modernizing and that was disappearing.

But as you say- Queens Grill was once an experience and literally did rival some of the best restaurants on land (at least in New York and London at the time). Now, while still very nice, it’s not nearly to the same effect.

Cruise/Crossing fares are all cheaper, in real dollars or pounds, adjusted for inflation than they were even five years ago. The on-line "inflation" calculators are useful and revealing to find just how much cheaper. Fares are cheaper, on board extras cost more. In the end, someone is still making money. A non drinker is likely to make out like a bandit now.

Back in the day on QE2, the Grill experience was just that. And there was no set "a la carte" menu, either. That defeats the whole concept of "what would YOU like, sir, tonight?" By limiting the choice initially to a set list, the whole grill concept is diluted. Even the regular grill menu was impressive although in actual number of dishes offered, maybe about the same as today although there was always a savoury at the very end which I miss as a tradition of fine English dining. Caviar, the real stuff, was there for the asking and not some little dollop on a Ritz cracker, either. But you had to really like and know food, dishes and cuisine to avail yourself of much of it. And have a maitre d and stewards who did, too. There certainly was more tableside preparation back then, too... the room reeked of those awful spirit burners they used as a result!

But it's all overall a better value today. Depending on the promotional fares, PG is cheaper than Oceania Cruises for comparable accommodation and at least for what I got, considerably, too.

Interesting. I find the caviar serving more than adequate rather than just a dollop on a Ritz cracker [Ritz cracker? When did you last have caviar as an appetizer in QG?] and the savoury mentioned is still there on the dinner menu should you want it. Sure you have to order some dinner a la carte dishes, by 2pm now, and off menu items preferably the day before but that has never been a problem but there again I am obviously very easy to please. Judging by some negative comments I read, I am beginning to think there are two types of Queens Grill experiences. Ours and that of other passengers who find the product suits them and then those who either harken back to the good old days or who just find the whole thing terribly so so.

We have over a couple of hundred nights in QG under our belts and like to think of ourselves as slightly discerning. Having had the pleasure of dining with many more discerning fellow passengers than I, who also find the product most satisfactory and like us are avid repeaters, it's obvious there are still one or two Cunard clients who find the Queens Grill dining experience worth getting up for in the morning.

There are probably other lines out there which deliver as good a product as Cunard's QG, if not better according to some on this board, but I have yet to find one which delivers open timed [one sitting] fixed table dining, Horses for courses. Enjoy the product? Then carry on booking. Find the product not up to scratch? Then find something else which is.

My last (and only) QG on QM2 experience... they actually "ran out" of caviar fullstop on day 2 of a 6-day crossing. Let's just say people were not amused. The dollops must have been enormous the first two days.

I am not suggesting the Grills aren't still an exemplary experience but to me, QG on QM2 didn't hold a candle to Princess and Britannia Grills on QE2 20-25 years ago. And of course that not even comparing with QG on QE2. It's more atmosphere and presentation than anything else. And I am certainly not suggesting those who, for all right reasons, enjoy QG now are fools or knaves, either, just speaking as I find. Me, I am looking forward to PG in August on QUEEN ELIZABETH immensely.

My last (and only) QG on QM2 experience... they actually "ran out" of caviar fullstop on day 2 of a 6-day crossing. Let's just say people were not amused. The dollops must have been enormous the first two days.

I am not suggesting the Grills aren't still an exemplary experience but to me, QG on QM2 didn't hold a candle to Princess and Britannia Grills on QE2 20-25 years ago. And of course that not even comparing with QG on QE2. It's more atmosphere and presentation than anything else. And I am certainly not suggesting those who, for all right reasons, enjoy QG now are fools or knaves, either, just speaking as I find. Me, I am looking forward to PG in August on QUEEN ELIZABETH immensely.

I'm sorry your QG experience wasn't up to expectations and hope your PG cruise will be marvellous.

I have no idea how many cruises you've taken in QG [was it the one, or just one on QM2, out of many on other Cunard ships] but I do think when giving opinions, it would help if cruise history could be given, at times.

Bygone days are just that. They've gone. Times have changed and moved on and one single experience in QG, which was not up to expectations will of course colour a personal view but to use that as the baseline for giving advice on the product as a whole is a little unfair on anyone asking about the product. The one, not quite up to par at times, experience we had a couple of years ago was an anomaly. It does not change my overall thoughts one bit.

Have a wonderful cruise on Elizabeth and if you ever book or get upgraded to QG in the future, I hope you'll find it as superb as we do.

I have no idea how many cruises you've taken in QG [was it the one, or just one on QM2, out of many on other Cunard ships] but I do think when giving opinions, it would help if cruise history could be given, at times.

Bygone days are just that. They've gone. Times have changed and moved on and one single experience in QG, which was not up to expectations will of course colour a personal view but to use that as the baseline for giving advice on the product as a whole is a little unfair on anyone asking about the product. do.

This is a fair point. And happy to give mine. I’ve sailed Cunard, and more specifically QE2, for a good 20 years prior to her retirement- upwards of once a year transats with some cruises sprinkled in there. I think somewhere around 28 sailings on her. Nearly all of them were in Queens Grill- cabin 1050 on One Deck was preferred, 1049 would do if it were booked already. Sailed in Britannia Grill once to try it. The only time I sailed in Caronia was my last time aboard her because QG was sold out due to it being one of her last crossings and I really wanted to say goodbye to the old girl.

Since then I’ve sailed QM2 about 6 times- all transats in QG except for one Fourth of July cruise we did in Britannia Club. Have really cut down because we find 7 day crossings a bit tedious.

Like the other poster- I am not suggesting that QG is a bad product or that those who enjoy it don’t know any better or anything negative like that. On the contrary, by contemporary standards I think they do a very nice job. But it doesn’t have the ambiance, attention to detail, or quality that QG in QE2 did (or as the other poster said even Princess/Britannia Grill did). It was just run very differently than today- some of the maitre’ds in the mid ‘90s had cut their teeth on the original Queen Mary and Elizabeth. Absolutely no corners were cut as you can see they are today (the domestic farm raised “caviar” they serve would have been tossed overboard!- they only carried large tins of Russian beluga which they would parade around.) It was a delightful time capsule that lasted far longer into the 21st century than it was probably intended to.

This is a fair point. And happy to give mine. I’ve sailed Cunard, and more specifically QE2, for a good 20 years prior to her retirement- upwards of once a year transats with some cruises sprinkled in there. I think somewhere around 28 sailings on her. Nearly all of them were in Queens Grill- cabin 1050 on One Deck was preferred, 1049 would do if it were booked already. Sailed in Britannia Grill once to try it. The only time I sailed in Caronia was my last time aboard her because QG was sold out due to it being one of her last crossings and I really wanted to say goodbye to the old girl.

Since then I’ve sailed QM2 about 6 times- all transats in QG except for one Fourth of July cruise we did in Britannia Club. Have really cut down because we find 7 day crossings a bit tedious.

Like the other poster- I am not suggesting that QG is a bad product or that those who enjoy it don’t know any better or anything negative like that. On the contrary, by contemporary standards I think they do a very nice job. But it doesn’t have the ambiance, attention to detail, or quality that QG in QE2 did (or as the other poster said even Princess/Britannia Grill did). It was just run very differently than today- some of the maitre’ds in the mid ‘90s had cut their teeth on the original Queen Mary and Elizabeth. Absolutely no corners were cut as you can see they are today (the domestic farm raised “caviar” they serve would have been tossed overboard!- they only carried large tins of Russian beluga which they would parade around.) It was a delightful time capsule that lasted far longer into the 21st century than it was probably intended to.

I don't for one moment think you are being disparaging about those who, like me, enjoy the present day QG experience but the original question was about the present day product, not the Golden Age of the QE2 etc.

I find it fascinating to learn about QG on Cunard ships from decades ago and I am positive the modern version will come up short in comparison, in many areas but the bygone age is not what is being asked about. The modern version is the only one available today and that is what should be under discussion. Yes make comparisons by all means when nostalgia hits but use the reality of today's product when asked for advice. :)

Edited by Victoria2

My voyage "resume" is at the bottom of this and every post. I've sailed with Cunard since 1977: QE2 (five times), CARONIA (2), QM2 (2) and QE (2) in every class and restaurant except QG in QE2.

The maitre d' in Princess Grill on QE2 25 years ago on our honeymoon was formerly head butler at Chequers for example. And yes as Princeton12321 remarked, Beluga caviar was served from big tins with a spoon. My wife hates the stuff, I was rolling in it. We thought we'd be cheeky and ask for "special orders" and he just smiled and said "that's not a special order here.. you can have that anytime".

But yes times change and as I said, the price reflects it. It's still very good VALUE which is quality few seem to attach importance to over price. Indeed, it's probably better value now than it was 25 years ago.

One does miss the wonderful staterooms on QE2 that went with Grill accommodation, too, the pick of the wonderful top First Class ones with all that real wood paneling and the little trunk room and those deep Shanks bathtubs. And with Dennis Dawson presiding over the First Class deck chairs one didn't need a "grill deck" either.

At least many Cunarders know and miss the old days... it keeps them on their toes!

Thanks - food for thought (lots of thought lol)

Caviar definitely needs to be ordered ahead of time. I was scolded by our waiter when I asked for it at dinner without preordering. And when it finally arrived the next night, it was about half a teaspoon, and not even served chilled on ice.

Cunard claims to be the world's largest buyer of caviar. Is the crew eating it? ;)clear.png?emoji-wink-1685

About that russian beluga and domestic caviar: It might be worth remembering that demand for that stuff has brought 27 species of sturgeon close to extinction. So if it's domestic nowadays and comes only in small portions, it is literally because the preceding guests in QG ate it away.

Caviar definitely needs to be ordered ahead of time. I was scolded by our waiter when I asked for it at dinner without preordering. And when it finally arrived the next night, it was about half a teaspoon, and not even served chilled on ice.

Cunard claims to be the world's largest buyer of caviar. Is the crew eating it? ;)clear.png?emoji-wink-1685

If caviar is on the menu then yes, it comes pre served on a plate with the garnishes and blinis. No ice.

If it's an appetizer request, which does not need to be pre ordered by the way, the decent serving comes in a traditional caviar dish, which of course is on ice, accompanied by a mother of pearl spoon. The toast fingers are separately served in a toast rack and the garnishes are served to you.

If a waiter scolds you, then I suggest a quiet word to the Maitre 'd is in order. If a waiter politely says it needs to be pre ordered then go with it the first time but say you know it's freely available on other cruises with no need to pre order so would appreciate that courtesy given to you too.

Beluga v White Sturgeon, probably/possibly farmed.

I've had Beluga once in my life. I didn't appreciate it at the time. I'm not a connoisseur and without wanting to demean my fellow passengers, I would have thought true aficionados used to top notch caviar would be in short supply.

Cunard caviar is fine for the likes of me and probably the majority of passengers who are lucky enough to be able to order it at will.