QM2 westbound Crossing -must do's?

KatieG73

Evening All,

We will be embarking on our first Cunard voyage on Friday (Westbound Transatlantic).

We have cruised previously with Disney (when our daughter was younger) and NCL so we're not strangers to cruising but first timers with Cunard.

Am looking for tips and advice on any 'must do's' whilst onboard please.

Travelling will be myself, my husband, our 17 year old daughter and my mother.

On our list so far are;

The lectures - the speakers for our sailing look very interesting

The Planetarium

Afternoon Tea -I think my mum will get a kick out of the white glove service and ceremony

I looking forward to relaxing in the pool and spending time in the various bars with a cocktail in hand.

My husband is looking forward to joining in on any quizzes etc.

Is there anything else we should be looking out for that's maybe not obvious to the non-regular i.e. am sure I read somewhere that on the night before arriving in New York there's a bit of a celebration in the Queens Room?

We've bought masks for the Masquerade ball and plan to participate in all of the gala nights but wondering again if there is anything we hould know before we go.

The reason I ask is that most of our cruises have been on Disney and there are so many things that go on that if you weren't 'in the know' you'd very likely miss. You'd still have a great cruise without knowing about them but they can really be special moments and the 'icing on the cake'.

Thank you!

Katie

I've not done it, but have heard very good things about the painting classes. The package of supplies they offer is supposedly very good and an excellent price.

We've enjoyed the Behind the Scenes Tour. (There have been a few recent threads on it) Sign up on the first morning - there will be a line, get there early. Not cheap, but we found it very worthwhile.

I've enjoyed a Scottish Whisky (they inform you, not "Scotch") tasting offered one afternoon in the Commodore Club.

...oh and don't forget the little elevators at either side of the Commodore Club (and library, etc) that run behind the forward bulkheads for a spectacular entrance or speedy exit.

- Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF

Afternoon tea a must. Get in line early if you want to sit front row next to ballroom floor. Plan it when the String Quartet are playing.

For Lunch Fish and Chips in Golden Lion are pretty good the Cottage pie is better. Great place to watch World cup final. If you are on board then.

I like to peek into the bridge. I think its on 11 or 12.

Commodore Club is a great place to sit and read or just look out on the Ocean but not just before dinner unless you like a crowd.

Last year my wife and I took our first ever cruise, a Westbound TA on the QM2. Shortly after getting home I posted a recap on what we did right and what we did wrong. You may want to check out that thread. Search "Lessons Learned by a Newbie". To the points I posted in that thread I would add that the people we met on the QM2, staff and cruisers, were wonderfully interesting. Make an effort to meet as many people as you can on your voyage. Lastly, relax. Its not a competition to see who can cram in the most.

After you complete your crossing it would be great to hear about your trip.

The wall decorations are very interesting, eg the history of Cunard and don't forget to look for Homer Simpson who is hiding on one of the walls!!!

Homer Simpson was on my to-do list on my first crossing. He's hardly ever mentioned here, poor guy. Thanks for pointing it out!

Even if you are not a ballroom dancer, make sure to be in the Queen‘s Room when Big Band night is on. It‘s just a marvellous experience!

Make sure that you spend as many evenings as possible in Britannia Restaurant ( including Egg Benedict in the morning) and in Royal Court Theatre - on the most comfortable plush seats on the seas.

I've enjoyed a Scottish Whisky (they inform you, not "Scotch") tasting offered one afternoon in the Commodore Club.

Well, "they" are wrong.

Only two things can be describes as Scotch. One is beef, and the other is whisky.

Stewart

As you can imagine my top three priorities are shuffleboard (in the morning, during the day and particularly late at night in formal dress!), but my list goes on.

4. Afternoon Tea (3.30-4.30)

Do not miss a single one, even if you're busy at 3.30. The 3.30 Insights Lecture will end around 4.15, which will allow you to have a quick cup in the Queens Room afterwards.

5. The Captain's navigational announcements at noon (right after eight bells).

This is not re-broadcast on tv, so listen to it or miss it! The announcement are not broadcast into cabins, but can be listened to only in public rooms and gangways. Captain Wells' announcements are particularly interesting and enjoyable.

6. A stroll on deck late at night.

This is probably more romantic, if choose to leave your mom and your daughter in the cabin and sneak out with your husband. Start at the top of the A stairwell and walk down until you reach the stern. (Provided you are not sailing through a storm with gale force winds - then please refrain from doing this.) => This can be easily combined with a nightcap in the Commodore Club, they have a very elaborate menu. My personal after-dinner favourite is the Lemon Meringue Pie (aka Punch Romaine à la Carpathia).

7. The Spa

Personally I like the spa on QM2, it has a good choice of saunas and steam rooms (mixed, textile), and I do find it well worth the money.

8. Lunch at the Golden Lion

It's a nice alternative if nothing suits your taste at the MDR and if you don't want to go to the battleground at Kings Court. I hear good things about the Chicken Tikka Masala and the vegetarian Portobello Wellington. Also it servers as the perfect pretext to have a beer at lunchtime.

9. Breakfast in Cabin

Another standard procedure - it's even possible to order off-menu and have items like french toast or pancakes (don't overstretch it and tip your servants well!).

10. Leaving Southampton

They all talk about NYC, but I like traveling down the Solent very much too.

As you are traveling as a family, I would also suggest that you join the week long sports competition (shuffleboard, deck quoits, baggo, table tennis, etc.) The winners get a bottle of the infamous Pol Acker and a diploma!

If you are at all a night owl, wandering the ship late at night, well after midnight can be a real treat. Walking through the public rooms on deck 2 and 3 when you are all alone, the ship will seem like it's all yours. Then up to the late buffet in the Kings Court because everyone needs a fifth meal of the day at least once in life.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Forums mobile app

We are also big shuffleboard lovers, and it is located very well on upper deck.

We only sailed once on QM2 and only for 5 days, but as big Planetarium fans noticed that even during 5 dayer there was 2 different shows.

I cannot believe I am saying this, but we did spend lots of time reading “wall stories” on decks 2 and 3 (on one of them you can play chess at the tables right by windows or just watch waves close)

We enjoyed Solarium pool a lot. It never got crowded. Loved plush towels near pools.

In terms of music and entertainment I wasn’t overly excited by main theater shows, but absolutely loved a Jazz in Chart room, music in Commodore club and of course Queens room dancing and entertainers.

I’m a bit jealous. Would love to cruise on QM2 again and for longer!

Bring along a copy of John Maxtone-Graham's "The Only Way to Cross" (the copy in the library will probably be gone by the time you get there), find a nice proper deck chair and unless it's pouring with rain, sit outside and savour the subtle pleasures of a good book, the damp salt air of the North Atlantic and the most sublime of all destinations: mid Atlantic on an ocean liner.

Bring along a copy of John Maxtone-Graham's "The Only Way to Cross" (the copy in the library will probably be gone by the time you get there), find a nice proper deck chair and unless it's pouring with rain, sit outside and savour the subtle pleasures of a good book, the damp salt air of the North Atlantic and the most sublime of all destinations: mid Atlantic on an ocean liner.

Hitting the LIKE button

Every day I learn something new. Just ordered. Crossing fingers and toes that it arrives before we fly out next Wednesday!