Make it more fun

BostonSusie

Dear Cunard and QM 2 Administration,

Alright, I’m willing to put up with the worst food on the high seas ( even Royal Caribbean is Soooooo much better)- An upper deck buffet area that always smells like old fish! And is designed by someone who does not eat there-nothing where it should be in relation to dietary norms: bread and rolls nowhere near the cold cuts or cheese, no butter anywhere near where you would use it-no cutlery handy anyplace, loud ice cream machines that sound like a 747 taking off in the dining area! (Have you gotten them fixed yet?) etc. etc.

What I really regret is that there are no romantic little dance areas set aside in any of the cocktail lounges where a couple could have a romantic dance before or after dinner-

The Queen’s Ballroom couples look and act like contestants or rejects from America’s Got Talent (or not!). All these fancy-schmancy show-offs are very off-putting, intimidating and don’t leave much room or atmosphere for an anniversary or birthday couple to “slow dance’ and cop a little hug or squeeze.

PLEASE, couldn’t you set aside that 10’ x10’ piece of floor that nobody needs for a little dance space near the music in the Carinthia, or Lions’ Den, etc., or in the main central area! These places are seldom so crowded that it would not accommodate such an improvement.

EASY FIX- very romantic and fun and would be greatly appreciated! I have heard other passengers mention the same issues. Sailing on QM 2 should be a higher-classed experience when in reality it is a poorly planned tribulation. Sincerely, Susan

No Silly- Royal Car. does not regularly sail transatlantic- Simply changing ships does nothing to improve the situation on Q M 2. My hubby and I are not silly hormone-driven teens- I was only trying to add levity! We're in our 60's and can no longer negotiate the dance floor as smoothly as we used to but we still like to do a simple foxtrot or cha-cha in a smaller more romantic setting! Your response is not too helpful- there you are- thanks anyway. BostonSusie

BostonSusie, very true my response wasn't particularly helpful but I think only Cunard can actually "help" with this one. I'm not a big dancer (took the ballroom lessons on board one year and nearly came to "blows" with my partner!) so probably am not very sympathetic to your requirements.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

"All these fancy-schmancy show-offs are very off-putting, intimidating"

This is the kind of comment I can't understand. What should Cunard, or any other cruise line btw, do?

Put a sign "do not intimidate your fellow passengers"?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I'm sorry to hear that you find QM2 "a poorly planned tribulation", it sounds as if it would take more than an additional dance floor to make it an enjoyable experience for you.

Did you try dancing in G32 ?

This is the kind of comment I can't understand. What should Cunard, or any other cruise line btw, do?

Yes- of course, we danced in the "disco" after dinner-It's for a younger crowd and It only opens after 10 pm! And no- I do not expect dancers to change their styles in the Queens Ballroom. I'm only suggesting that a bit of dancing in a quiet corner of the lounges or the Carinthia Room would not go amiss for us less practiced dancers ! What is so hard to understand! Don't you dance a little without wanting to glide around a big crowded ballroom! So, maybe you wouldn't understand anyway!

No Silly- Royal Car. does not regularly sail transatlantic- Simply changing ships does nothing to improve the situation on Q M 2. My hubby and I are not silly hormone-driven teens- I was only trying to add levity! We're in our 60's and can no longer negotiate the dance floor as smoothly as we used to but we still like to do a simple foxtrot or cha-cha in a smaller more romantic setting! Your response is not too helpful- there you are- thanks anyway. BostonSusie

I have found on all 3 Cunard queens that there are always those "show off" dancers who flounce around the floor with no regard to anyone else. The HOST dancers are some of the worse offenders.

I have also encountered those who ignore the direction of dance or shuffle around in the outer dance lane. Just for information the direction of dance is counter clockwise and the place to shuffle around or even just stop and sway is in the centre of the floor.

I also find it annoying that nearly every dance played is a slow foxtrot and its very rare to have a nice waltz or much Latin.

However we now tend to just attend the sequence dances held before second sitting or visit the queens room after around 10pm when the floor appears to empty. Don't let the show offs put you off, just stick to the centre track, and any decent dancers will be good enough to work around you if you happen to stray into their path.

Thank You very much- first for taking my concerns seriously and secondly, for giving me and my husband some good suggestions that might help us really enjoy our up-coming cruise. This will be our 7th transatlantic with QM 2- we have just given up expecting any real fun on our sailing- I think your suggestions will give us the courage to try again- and your response has helped me realize I am not alone! Thanks, Susie

I'm sorry that sailing on QM2 is full of disappointments for you and no fun. However your "easy fix" isn't so easy. Space for a dance floor has to be gouged out of something else. There go several cocktail tables and chairs. Quite a disappointment for a couple looking to sit down for a relaxing drink. You're going to want music at dance tempo and volume while the others will want quiet background music that will allow conversation.

QM2 has two dance floors but neither is agreeable to you. Perhaps it's time to look at luxury lines that have a better passenger-space ratio.

Bob- I have sailed many times on R.C. and NCL and Celebrity and 7 transatlantic QM 2 Sailings-To Canada, To The Caribbean, Thru the Mediterranean! I know about space constraints etc. I'm not asking for a lot of space- just a 10 x 10 area when the combo is playing and the stage isn't being used for Trivia! I have seen very very few times when the lounges are so full that this could not be reasonably accommodated. It is only a suggestion, among others, I made that would make sailing more enjoyable! No big deal- Anyway- where there is a will there would be a way. Apparently, Cunard does not think this activity option is important. So be it. Thanks for your sensitive and thoughtful responses. S.

I always fill in my Post-cruise questionnaire. I try to be as polite and positive as possible and have made my suggestions known many times. I am always complete and elaborate as necessary on my comments. I have never, never received so much as a "thanks your comments have been received" , to say nothing of notice that my comments might actually be addressed or acted upon. I firmly believe these questionnaires go directly into the wastepaper basket- Does anyone out there have any experience that might contradict this assumption! That would be encouraging and a real positive note! S

I know about space constraints etc. I'm not asking for a lot of space- just a 10 x 10 area when the combo is playing and the stage isn't being used for Trivia! I have seen very very few times when the lounges are so full that this could not be reasonably accommodated.
If Cunard were to set aside a 10' x 10' area in front of the Corinthia band stand for dancing, there may very well be some of those "someancy-schmancy show-offs" who would like to use this space for their dancing pleasure. Should they be allowed to use this theoretical dance space, or should it be reserved just for "less practiced" dancers?

The Chart Room used to have a small, wooden dance floor before they did the refit. We've danced in the Winter Garden when there is music and also on the wooden floor at the back of the planetarium. You can also buy something called "dance socks" that go over your shoes and allow you to dance on carpeting and sticky floors. But you're right, there are not a lot of good dance areas other than the Queens Room.

But even if there were, us schmancy would fill it up and you'd still have the same problem.

BTW - you have every right to be on the QR floor as the schamncies. Just go in the middle and have fun. Go right on top of that medallion. You'll be out of their way. No self-respecting DWTS wannabe would go there. We're on the outside, the moving lanes. If you park yourself on the outside edge of a ballroom floor you're more daring than me. Just pop yourself in the middle of the floor and let the romance blossom. Just remember that if it gets too romantic, move to your cabin. It's a family ship.

We’ve just booked our first Cunard cruise after several Royal Caribbean cruises and will be dancing. I can’t speak for Cunard but as on RC we’ll be taking a small Bluetooth speaker and can just about dance anywhere as long as we’re not disturbing anyone else. We even had a midnight dance on a helipad once. Actually that was a terrible idea as it was so dark and windy. But we did it anyway.

We’ve just booked our first Cunard cruise after several Royal Caribbean cruises and will be dancing. I can’t speak for Cunard but as on RC we’ll be taking a small Bluetooth speaker and can just about dance anywhere as long as we’re not disturbing anyone else. We even had a midnight dance on a helipad once. Actually that was a terrible idea as it was so dark and windy. But we did it anyway.
I seriously doubt if you ever will use your bluetooth speaker once you have been in the Queens Room and seen the beautiful, large hardwood dance floor and the 7 piece dance band plus Vocalist that plays there for ballroom style dancing in the evenings. When the band isn't playing as well as earlier in the evening, the QR has a great sound system playing "strict tempo" ballroom dance music as well as providing the music for sequence dancing when scheduled.

The G32 nightclub has a (smaller) dance floor and a band that plays more contemporary styles of dance music. If you would like the band in either venue to play a particular dance or tempo, just as them.

Be sure to bring your dance shoes - and don't miss the afternoon tea dance in the QR.

I suppose a solution is to have "amateurs' hour" each night, allowing those who struggle to move their feet to the tune of the orchestra a chance to awkwardly bump and slide their way across the dance floor. Could even turn it into a competition on the daily programme, including the option for guests to skull cans of beer beforehand and slide on their bellies across the Queens Room, before they all pop upstairs to the newly installed water slides...

Maybe Cunard isn’t best for OP.

I think it's the best. If one thinks that dancing is romantic, the QM is for you. You just has to accept the idea that many other people think dancing on the ship is good idea and the two big dance venues get filled up with, dare I say it, dancers.

I read posts from people who compare Cunard to other ships and they complain the other ships keep the floors real sticky to be sure people don't fall. As a result, you can't dance on them. Or the dance floor is part of the bar/dining room where people or waiters walk through all the time. Not a good place to dance.

The OP wants a little dancing in the bars. Dance on the carpet. It's better than a sticky floor.

There's no rule that says dancing has to be done on wood. Dance wherever you can find space.

Correction to prior post:

My wife reminded me that it was the Golden Lion that had the small wooden dance floor, not the Chart Room.

It is unfortunate that Cunard does not post basic "Ballroom Etiquette" on a wall in the corridor outside of the Queen Room so that those who are not familiar with ballroom style dancing will not feel uncomfortable or inconvenience other dancers. Basic information like where you should dance on the ballroom floor should have been taught during a person's very the first dance lessons, but that unfortunately is not the case for many.

Mario: You do have to agree that the Queens Room is often not a good place for casual dancing with all the Simply Ballroom crowd.

BostonSusie: Not the advice you're looking for, I recognize, but HAL offers what you seek with a dance floor in most venues that might have danceable music..

It is unfortunate that Cunard does not post basic "Ballroom Etiquette" on a wall in the corridor outside of the Queen Room so that those who are not familiar with ballroom style dancing will not feel uncomfortable or inconvenience other dancers. Basic information like where you should dance on the ballroom floor should have been taught during a person's very the first dance lessons, but that unfortunately is not the case for many.

I've been on four crossings, and on each one the cruise directors mentioned ballroom etiquette every night. They talked about line-of-dance, travelling couples dance on the outside and slow moving or stationary couples stay in the middle. And most important, that the dance floor is not a place for unsupervised children.

My wife & I joked that these talks were aimed at the American passengers. We assumed the Brits already know their way around a ballroom.