What about ports/islands that are damaged/devastated by hurricane Irma?

pal2pluto

Any updates today on St Marteen and St Thomas?

In St Maarten, several hundred Americans were airlifted today in C130s. There is a gang of 500 looters terrorizing the island's stores and homes, even robbing people in their hotel rooms. Prisoners have escaped from the jail. The Dutch are sending 500 policemen. Several cruise ships are headed there to take people off the island and deliver supplies. Of course there is no water or food and tremendous destruction.

Any updates today on St Marteen and St Thomas?

St. Martin still sounds really bad. Peace not kept and infastrucure in shambles. The NCL Sky was there yesterday, and at least the dock looked like it was still in good shape.

I have freinds in St. T, it sounds like it is bad but that they are getting help and aid and it isn't all Mad Max like St. Martin. St. John, although much less populated, sounds like it just got shredded...

In St Maarten, several hundred Americans were airlifted today in C130s. There is a gang of 500 looters terrorizing the island's stores and homes, even robbing people in their hotel rooms. Prisoners have escaped from the jail. The Dutch are sending 500 policemen. Several cruise ships are headed there to take people off the island and deliver supplies. Of course there is no water or food and tremendous destruction.

Where in the world did you get this information?

It is absolutely untrue.

There are problems, but nothing like you describe.

gary

i used to keep my boat in St.Martin, sold it in January. There was never a storm like this in SXM. The airport is gone. The marinas are gone. hopefully they have electricity and running water in 6-8 weeks. The 4 biggest and "structurally sound" gov't buildings did not make it. You can pretty much say STT, BVI, and SXM will not be cruise ports for some time to come.

The physical airport building lost a lot of roof and is basically flooded, but the airport is open and military and commercial rescue flights are arriving and departing without problems.

The port is receiving rescue cruises (like Royal Caribbean) and military resupply ships.

Both sides of the island have electricity and water being provided, neighborhood by neighborhood.

What are the government buildings you are referring to?

gary

• Members

Cruise Critic is keeping a running update on the status of the Eastern Caribbean ports and when they'll be open for cruising. More than you might expect are already open, including Barbados, Antigua, Grand Turk and St. Kitts. We will continue to update this story as information comes in from the CTO and cruise lines: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8067

I would think you could check with Carnival. Or Mr. Google. I won't have room in my suitcase for dry goods!

Just received an email from HAL regarding my upcoming 11/8 sailing that has St Martin as the first stop and St Thomas and the next-to-last.

Here's part of the email...

"We are currently assessing itinerary impacts and an update on our 2017 cruises will be provided next week. 2018 itineraries are also currently being evaluated and an update will be provided on October 5."

So, it's obvious that it will take considerable time for some of these ports to recover.

They also said HMC experienced minimal damage and will be fully operational tomorrow.

I imagine similar notices are going out (or will soon) from other lines.

I know people are concerned with both the residents and their cruise vacations, but we all just need to be patient. The cruiselines will let us know as soon as they know. Random, incessant speculation on these boards isn't really helpful. Just creates "noise" and the useful info falls through the cracks.

Cruise Critic is keeping a running update on the status of the Eastern Caribbean ports and when they'll be open for cruising. More than you might expect are already open, including Barbados, Antigua, Grand Turk and St. Kitts.

John Heald has amended his earlier "it's open!" statement and now says that Grand Turk remains closed to cruise traffic while they make some repairs.

CC members have confirmed that Grand Turk is being replaced with, e.g., Amber Cove on sailings this week.

Wow - u got email. I got nothing about mine. My cruise is November 4. Still waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm pretty sure they have only sent out emails for next week. I wouldn't expect an answer until at least a few weeks before sailing. I have an upcoming back to back cruise as well in November and have been speculating myself, but it has just become exhausting.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app