QE2 Hotel to open soon!

London-Calling

Many thought that it would never happen, but news sources now say that it will happen within the next few weeks: The QE2 will open as a hotel in Dubai.

The ex-Cunard Ocean Liner has been docked in Dubai's Port Rashid, since 2008, after the original plans for a hotel on board fell through.

Slide show with new images of QE2 Hotel: https://youtu.be/ehNlmPuEpEU

Guest SilverHengroen

Good to hear, deserves a happy retirement with a good turn over of guests after being mothballed so long. Hopefully the rooms have been brought up to spec so she can compete as she has some stiff competition! It would certainly be something if they made the bridge into a suite with an unparalleled view! :)

Gosh right about when we arrive at Dubai on QM2!

Yes, there have been several reports that the QE2 Hotel's opening date will be April 18th to correspond with QM2's arrival in Dubai. And today I am now seeing room availability from April 18th onward on their web site.

There have also been reports on this forum that QM2 will be delivering several items to QE2 that had been on loan to QE. Quoting from safarigal, those items include "the bust of Queen Elizabeth in the Queens Room, the personal standard of the Queen Mother, and the silver model of QE2 in the yacht club".

I imagine there could be quite a show in store for you in Dubai with QM2's arrival and the opening of the QE2 hotel on the same day.

Nooo, not the silver ship model! I was so happy when I heard it was on QE. If I could have had one thing from QE2, that silver ship would have been it.

Hi,

Like you, I love the silver model of the QE2. I took many photos of the model aboard both the QE2 and the Queen Elizabeth. I didn't realize until recently that the model was only "on loan" to Cunard.

I am glad to see that the QE2 is finally opening as a hotel ship. The ship looks good, but I fear that it will have a difficult time competing with the spectacular hotels of Dubai. Hopefully, there will be enough ocean liner aficionados to support the QE2.

Chuck

Guest SilverHengroen

Looking at the photos in the papers today the ship looks infinitely better on the cabins front than she did in her last years of service. The frumpy, worn and tired furnishings are gone and have been replaced with clean, new furnishings and retained a few of the nicer shipboard details. A job well done and hopefully on to new successes!