What would you not like about this itinerary - 8-day Sawyer Glacier Cruise?

gmros

Hi!

What would you not like about the itinerary below? And what do you like about it? We haven't been to Alaska and we're looking at Celebrity Solstice on 5/8/14. Thanks!

Date....Port/City..................Arrival........Departure

5/08....Vancouver, BC...........................5:00 PM

5/09....At Sea

5/10....Tracy Arm Fjord AK....12:00 PM....5:00 PM

5/11....Juneau, AK................7:00 AM.....8:00 PM

5/12....Skagway, AK.............7:00 AM.....8:00 PM

5/13....Icy Strait Point, AK.....7:00 AM.....5:00 PM

5/14....Ketchikan, AK............10:00 AM....6:00 PM

5/15....At Sea

5/16....Seattle, WA...............................7:00 AM

The big "if" is Tracy Arm. The cruise ship likely would not have any glacier viewing, the add on Tracy Arm ship excursion would be "necessary" in my opinion. However, the expense would have no issue booking other tours, for me, it may be for others. There also is the possibility of the cruise ship cpt, going to Endicott Arm instead where the costly add on ship excursion less worthwhile.

I agree the port times are superb. Verify your tours of interest are available. Some tours may not, that early. An example would be the Lake Bennett train.

Edited by Budget Queen

Thank you all for your help.

The big "if" is Tracy Arm. The cruise ship likely would not have any glacier viewing, the add on Tracy Arm ship excursion would be "necessary" in my opinion. However, the expense would have no issue booking other tours, for me, it may be for others. There also is the possibility of the cruise ship cpt, going to Endicott Arm instead where the costly add on ship excursion less worthwhile.

Do you have a link to the add on Tracy Arm ship excursion? I'm trying to look for it but couldn't find it. Thanks!

Do you have a link to the add on Tracy Arm ship excursion? I'm trying to look for it but couldn't find it. Thanks!

This is an independent company that runs Tracy Arm trips from Juneau: http://www.adventureboundalaska.com Whether or not you could use them depends on your ship's schedule.

Pros:

- Good amount of time in port

- Disembark in Seattle (if you disembarked in Vancouver, you'd need to go through customs)

Cons:

- Icy Straight Point - there's not much to do there and the scenery is similar to other ports that you'll be visiting. It was my least favorite port when we did Royal Caribbean's Southbound Alaska cruise.

- Dates are very early in the season. It's probably one of the least expensive (a pro!), but the bears will just be coming out of hibrination and you may not see any.

Alaska is a place you can visit at different times of the cruising season and have the opportunity to see different wildlife and foliage. When we go back in a few years, we'll consider later in the season just to see a "different" Alaska! Enjoy your time there...you'll be saying "WOW" a lot. :)

http://www.celebritycruises.com/asr/shorex/shorexExcursionDetails.do?productCode=JU94

Also look into Chenega's suggestion of Adventure Bound. Your port time would fit perfectly for this excursion, but I don't know whether they run this trip in early May and also the likelihood of seeing the glaciers if they do run it at that time.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/asr/shorex/shorexExcursionDetails.do?productCode=JU94

Also look into Chenega's suggestion of Adventure Bound. Your port time would fit perfectly for this excursion, but I don't know whether they run this trip in early May and also the likelihood of seeing the glaciers if they do run it at that time.

I probably would not recommend they do the tour with Adventure Bound, because the day prior their cruise ship would be going there. It is also VERY likely that Adventure Bound would not make the full access this early in the season- so the best option would be to take the add on ship excursion with Major Marine. IF they did then want to repeat Tracy Arm, I have never had any problem getting walk up with Adventure Bound- Call them early from the cruise ship.

It's a tough decision with excursions. :) All the more important to take some time and think and rethink before the final choice.

I probably would not recommend they do the tour with Adventure Bound, because the day prior their cruise ship would be going there. It is also VERY likely that Adventure Bound would not make the full access this early in the season- so the best option would be to take the add on ship excursion with Major Marine. IF they did then want to repeat Tracy Arm, I have never had any problem getting walk up with Adventure Bound- Call them early from the cruise ship.

It's a tough decision with excursions. :) All the more important to take some time and think and rethink before the final choice.

We did our trip to Tracy Arm independently in late June (we live in Anchorage so flew down for a long weekend in Juneau). Even then there was lots of ice and cruise ships were turning around. The small boat was within 1/2 mile of the glacier and no more.

Glacier Bay is the best shot for seeing glaciers in Southeast Alaska. If you come to Southcentral Alaska, either Prince William Sound or the Kenai Fjords trips offer excellent excursions where ice is rarely a problem.

Pros - nice length of time at each port and at a decent time of day.

- disembarking in Seattle will probably give you a cheaper,easeir flight home (get a RT ticket and take the bus,train, or rental car to Vanc from Seattle)

Cons - too early forTracy Arm

- no Glacier Bay viewing

- too early in the shoulder season. Depending on the winter snowfall and even spring snowfalls, some activities may not be accessible due to snow and/or slush

Edited by mapleleaves

Thank you thank you everyone for all your help!!! I'm learning a lot. Thank you again.

I'm a little worried about the early departure as well. But I kinda want to stay with Celebrity since it's the line we've already been going on. And the solstice on 5/8/14 cost a lot better than the others I'm seeing :D

If I could ask another question... what are the chances you think these excursions will be cancelled due to the weather in early May?

• ATV expedition and ziprider (zipline) - Icy Strait Point, AK
  • Mendenhall Glacier by helicopter & guided walk - Juneau, AK
  • Dog Sledding & glacier flightseeing - Skagway, AK
  • Misty Fjords flightseeing - Ketchikan, AK

Thank you so much!

Thank you thank you everyone for all your help!!! I'm learning a lot. Thank you again.

I'm a little worried about the early departure as well. But I kinda want to stay with Celebrity since it's the line we've already been going on. And the solstice on 5/8/14 cost a lot better than the others I'm seeing :D

If I could ask another question... what are the chances you think these excursions will be cancelled due to the weather in early May?

• ATV expedition and ziprider (zipline) - Icy Strait Point, AK
  • Mendenhall Glacier by helicopter & guided walk - Juneau, AK
  • Dog Sledding & glacier flightseeing - Skagway, AK
  • Misty Fjords flightseeing - Ketchikan, AK

Thank you so much!

The dog sledding may not even be set up, I would suggest you contact TEMSO- the vendor and inquire. That is also your vendor out of Juneau, but there are 2 others. Mendenhall is not better/worse than any other glacier, just more known. These would be operating, but cancelations- you will not know until you get there, and no way to predict.

Misty flightseeing, would be operating, again, they do go in rain but, no way to predict any cancelation. Hoonah- this tour may not be available either? Be aware- that cruise lines DO allow you to make reservations on tours that have the chance to not operator. The reservations are in place, in case they are able to set up the tours. No guarantee they are a go, until closer to arriving.

IF these are your tour priorities, I suggest you book a later cruise, end of May, they all would be operating. But same issue with the cancelations. :)

Edited by Budget Queen

The dog sledding may not even be set up, I would suggest you contact TEMSO- the vendor and inquire. That is also your vendor out of Juneau, but there are 2 others. Mendenhall is not better/worse than any other glacier, just more known. These would be operating, but cancelations- you will not know until you get there, and no way to predict.

Misty flightseeing, would be operating, again, they do go in rain but, no way to predict any cancelation. Hoonah- this tour may not be available either? Be aware- that cruise lines DO allow you to make reservations on tours that have the chance to not operator. The reservations are in place, in case they are able to set up the tours. No guarantee they are a go, until closer to arriving.

IF these are your tour priorities, I suggest you book a later cruise, end of May, they all would be operating. But same issue with the cancelations. :)

Thank you so much! The excursions are our priority so I'm gonna look for a later date then.

Posted using Tapatalk