The Coffee Card

ladysail2

I noticed that one can purchase a coffee card entitling one to 10 coffees. Has someone ever purchased this. How does it work? Where does one buy coffee on QM2? Is this different coffee than what is offered at meals?

Thanks for any help...:D

I've not had a card so I can't be a great deal of help.

The main coffee bar on QM2 is Sir Samuels, if you just order coffee in the Main Dining Room you will just get filter coffee (I'm no expert but lots of people seem to think it's not up to much). You can order latte/cappuchino and other coffees without extra charge after your meal but it seems to be a fairly well kept secret.

There are tea and coffee facilities in the Kings Court and by the Computer Rooms.

Hope this helps until a coffee expert comes along ...

Edited by Host Hattie

We've purchased a Coffee Card on QV. We bought ours at Cafe Corinthia which is where we ended up having coffee most days. You get a "card" which gets stamped each time you buy your coffee, so you have to remember to have it with you. Any type of coffee was available and also hot chocolate. The card can be shared, that is, you can order for 2 people with one card. I think you can use the card at any bar that serves coffee, but we stuck to Cafe Corinthia as they have the variety and those great coffee machines. Great way to use OBC too.

I'm no coffee expert but I do like good coffee so here goes.

The coffee card essentially buys you 10 espresso shots and they'll make any coffee drink they are able to. I say 'able' because barista quality varies in my opinion. The coffee menu card has all the usual suspects lattes, cappuccino's, etc. available in small and large.

For example I prefer double shot's with a little steamed whole milk, sort of the Starbucks flat white approach. I don't like a single 1.5oz shot with 4.5 oz. of milk which is oftened served as a small cappucino, this just ends up tasting like a latte IMO. Asking for a dry cappuccino is a total waste of time because they simply cannot seem to serve any milk containing coffee drink without filling it to the brim.

I've also learned to avoid asking for a double shot as 50% of the time the barista will ding you for two x's on your coffee card; one barista told me that it was cheaper to drink double shot espresso's w/o the coffee card because it was less expensive.

I have the best luck asking for an 'extra strong' small expresso or macchiato because they seem to recognize this request and alter their dosing in some small way, though how is unclear. The fact that they use the same portafilter for singles and doubles is the first sign that things are a little gray.

Do not necessarily expect well pulled shots. Often times they start the process by banging out the old grinds from the portafilter, or start with a cold portafilter, and I've never actually seen a barista properly clean the portafilter between shots. And try to avoid timing the shots, sometimes they take 5 seconds and sometimes 45sec! This is a shame because they have beautiful machines. The coffee (beans) itself is of good quality.

Beware ordering specialty coffee drinks at some of the smaller bars around the ship; here the espresso drinks are of the push button automatic type only, more like the type you'd see at a quick stop (not that this necessarily means they are of lesser quality); I suspect this is how the espresso/cappuccino's are prepared in the MDR as well, but here they are complimentary so that's very fair.

The house coffee in the dining rooms/Lido is fair in total, decent flavor and color but pretty weak. The best coffee on the Queen Victoria IMO was in the Verandah specialty restaurant, an excellent french roast probably prepared in a french press. It was truly a great cup of coffee.

I know, probably too much information. In short the coffee card buys you 10 espresso shots/coffee drinks without paying the 15% gratuity. I advise that you buy one and give it a try and see if you can find a good barista who will prepare drinks as you like them.

P.S. the little almond biscotti that they serve with the coffees hit the spot!

I know, probably too much information. In short the coffee card buys you 10 espresso shots/coffee drinks without paying the 15% gratuity. I advise that you buy one and give it a try and see if you can find a good barista who will prepare drinks as you like them.

P.S. the little almond biscotti that they serve with the coffees hit the spot!

Definitely not, it was everything you wanted to know about coffee but were afraid to ask, thank you so much.

Thank you everyone, expecially Japyke, for your most useful information. It sounds like how the Princess coffee card works. I do like coffee, nice tasting coffee, so I'll probably invest in one. I'll have to search for the places to go to get a good one. My coffee of choice is the cappuccino....I can almost taste it now, LOL

Thank you again :D

Does anyone know if the coffee card can be brought back onboard for the next cruise if you're unable to use up all ten drinks?

Good question. Princess used to let you carry the card from one cruise to the next, but have stopped that practice. I think I could use up 10 coffees on one cruise though, so I wouldn't have to worry about it. Hopefully someone knows the answer to your question. :D

Does anyone know if the coffee card can be brought back onboard for the next cruise if you're unable to use up all ten drinks?

Hello MWillow....I ordered my coffee card. And asked the question. The answer is that the coffee card is specific to the voyage for which it is bought. So, one can't transfer it to another sailing. Princess did this years ago too. One used to be able to carry a partially used card to another cruise...but not now. Bottom line, I guess.

It can be used by someone else though. If you're travelling in a group or with another person...then someone else could also have a coffee, or even split the cost.

There, that mystery is solved, LOL

Joyce :D

if you just order coffee in the Main Dining Room you will just get filter coffee (I'm no expert but lots of people seem to think it's not up to much).

It's not even that good.

They don't actually put any coffee in the coffee. I can only assume that the bean counters have, quite literally, counted the beans and come up with zero.

Can you order iced coffees and teas with the coffee card or just cappachino and lattes?

I believe you can order any non-alcoholic coffee/tea beverage. That's my understanding. Next time I look at my booking, I'll see if they describe all available beverages with the coffee card. :D

• 5 months later...

What a wonderful thread and so informative, special thanks to Japyke, I enjoy a quality coffee or two during the day so a QM coffee card would be very welcome. Like Host Hattie says, we too only became aware recently that free speciality coffee like cappuccino was available in the MDR. I'm not too fond of the syrup filter style coffee available so I ask for a cappuccino in the MDR at breakfast too.

Edited by robbie_3

We bought our coffee card on board QM2 at Sir Samuel's and used it to buy our daily lattes. It's a good buy and allows you some savings over individual purchases. We also order free expresso or latte after lunch or breakfast in Britannia...can do it at dinner as well, but I cut off my caffeine intake by mid-afternoon. Then I switch to booze!

• 2 years later...

I was surprised that the Coffee card has changed Now its $8.50 per day for all hot drinks as many as you like. You get a sticker on your room card saying hot drinks Just like you get for the soft drinks package.