Formal nights on NB from Vancouver

tt_moore

Trying to avoid bringing super dressy clothes in lieu of warmth (AZ peeps, so lots of warmth needed!!)

So on formal nights we plan to go to alternative speciality restaurants.

Days

1 embark

2 sea day (formal is my guess)

3,4,5 port day

6,7 glacier viewing

What would 2nd formal night be? Please...from someone who has been on this itinerary, not a guesser.. want to make reservations in advance.

Thanks! 26 days......[emoji1]

Definitely day 6 but you don't actually need super dressy clothing to eat in the DR on formal nights.

But that's your choice.

Yes, and heard Alaska is even more relaxed. But the hubs either dresses in a suit and tie or jeans. Doesn't want to pack dress shoes just for 2 nights of dinner. For women its small real estate in a suitcase. But a full suit.....nah

Hiking boots x2

tennis shoes x2

Uggs

All if a sudden the lbs add up haha

Yes, and heard Alaska is even more relaxed. But the hubs either dresses in a suit and tie or jeans. Doesn't want to pack dress shoes just for 2 nights of dinner. For women its small real estate in a suitcase. But a full suit.....nah

Hiking boots x2

tennis shoes x2

Uggs

All if a sudden the lbs add up haha

Just improvise a little bit & almost anything can be made to work on a formal night.;)

Following published dress guidelines is extreme?

Some folks seem to think that any variation from the suit & tie or gown is a disgrace.

Even following Princess's suggestion for people who don't want to dress up is questioned in their minds.

"For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse. "

I don't recall anyone who took the position that the published Princess dress guidelines are too lax. Enforcement is spotty, to be sure. Perhaps I misunderstand you. If your position is that even following the guidelines is disgraceful in some's eyes, I don't recall anyone taking this position. You might refresh my memory or perhaps someone who finds the dress guidelines too lax could affirm this position.

This is our 13th cruise, but first on Princess. NCL is "dress up or not" this trip is 16 days for us and prefer to pack as light as possible. Coming from Savannah, GA we need layers and practical shoes. Are dress shoes/heels a must or can clean, non-athletic shoes work? I don't want to pack a lot extra for one or two evenings.

This is our 13th cruise, but first on Princess. NCL is "dress up or not" this trip is 16 days for us and prefer to pack as light as possible. Coming from Savannah, GA we need layers and practical shoes. Are dress shoes/heels a must or can clean, non-athletic shoes work? I don't want to pack a lot extra for one or two evenings.

Yes they can.

Some folks seem to think that any variation from the suit & tie or gown is a disgrace.

Even following Princess's suggestion for people who don't want to dress up is questioned in their minds.

"For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse. "

I agree with the above and thank you although it drives the "pro-formal" folks wild!;)

I agree with the above and thank you although it drives the "pro-formal" folks wild!;)

It's the closest description to what Princess allows on formal nights.

I just don't quite understand why they seem to hide it & continue to let folks believe that formal dress is a requirement when they admit it themselves that a more casual appearance is totally acceptable.

It's the closest description to what Princess allows on formal nights.

I just don't quite understand why they seem to hide it & continue to let folks believe that formal dress is a requirement when they admit it themselves that a more casual appearance is totally acceptable.

Probably the fact that Princess has 2 descriptions: The formal night's attire & the "what to pack" section that a surprising amount of pax don't read.

Coral - NB voyage of the glaciers about a year ago

1- Vancouver

2- Inside Passage (Formal night)

3- Ketchikan [All aboard 1:30p]

4- Juneau [All aboard 8:45p]

5- Skagway [All aboard 8p]

6- Glacier Bay (Formal night)

7- College Fjord

8- Whittier

It may depend on when GB is scheduled. We entered the park around 6 AM and were clear of the park by mid-afternoon. If you're entering the park later in the day that might affect scheduling for the ship events. We also were in prime scenic waters in CF around 4-7p, so that wouldn't have worked well for formal night (and is the last night so not usu. a formal night anyway. Also the port days for Juneau and Skagway were late, so it was harder to accommodate formal nights those days.

Edited by jb008
Added all aboard times

Of our 21 Princess cruises, we found the 2 Alaska cruises to be the least formal on "formal night". Therefore, for our upcoming Alaska cruise, I (who love to go formal; kilt and all) will probably not even bring a sport coat (unless I wear it on the flights out to Calgary).