Info needed ie: prescription drugs in Belize

KSnewbie

I have been told that you can buy prescription drugs in Belize at really good prices, but I am wondering if anyone here has any information or experience doing so?

My husband and I both use high cholesterol and blood pressure medicine - and any relief in price would be helpful, but we also want to be sure it is safe.

Any suggestions?

I have researched online some, and some say the same thing, to be careful....

Some friends bought several prescriptions there last year and had no problems at all, but I agree that the possibility for counterfeit drugs is certainly there.

I will go read the link you gave me, thanks,

If its a controlled substance you need a prescription. All meds are available for a greater reduced fee. We picked up stuff in Cozumel. Retin A for 20 bucks when the stuff sells for over 100 here.

BJB - The link had some good points to it, thanks :)

Serene - Maybe I should just consider spending my money on the Retin A - I could really use it also....;)

Just wondering if anyone else had bought prescriptions there....:confused:

There are 2 pharmaceys at the pier in Belize. One is ran by a former US Walmart Pharmacist. We got back from Belize 3 weeks ago and went to both. There are lines from fellow cruisers at both places buying all kinds of stuff. This is totally LEGAL in Central America. You can purchase anything (you name it) like Darvocet, Hydrocodone, valium etc.. cheap and legal. It is alot cheaper in Belize than in Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

I have heard of doing this before, but I'm still not sure what everyone is saying. Do you need to have a prescription from your doctor or not? Thank you for straightening me out.

Darlene

Saw a chilling documentary on cheap drugs the other night. Children who underwent heart surgery in Nigeria actually died because the drugs given to them as part of their care were below strenghth. An undercover journalist enquired about buying a large supply. The manufacturer (!!!counterfeiter) told him he could make them any strength he desired 10%, 20% etc.We were shown a stamp with the logo of a well know drug company that was used to stamp these counterfeit pills. Naturally the drug company was taking action to try and stop its good reputation being compromised but it is a losing battle.

Your US Drug Administration has high standards, just as our Australian counterpart has and would not allow these drugs into the country. Will you know where the drugs in Belize have come from? Will you be able to test the active incredients? Your health is not worth a few dollars saved.

. Do you need to have a prescription from your doctor or not? Thank you for straightening me out.

if its a narcotic--any controlled substance--then yes you do need a prescription.

Retin A works great for my son with a acne problem--cleared it up within 2 weeks.. (yes, drs approval but costs way too much here)

I also bought Hydrocodone, Amoxill, and Darvon in Belize. All packaged (sealed). The pharmacist at the pier is an American ( US schooled and licensed pharmacist) and is not a street drug dealer. They have nearly anything that you could ask for. The staff at the pharmacy are extremely knowledgeable and helpful (THEY ARE AMERICANS). This must be a common practice by cruisers because several passengers head straight for the pharmacy. I have a prescription here at home , but even with insurance it's cheaper in Belize. It's just a matter of choice. If you don't feel comfortable buying there, by all means don't.

Thanks for all of the info....

I have made a list of DH and my prescription drugs and will play it by ear when we get there I guess....I want to be sure the drugs are safe, but at the cost of 7 drugs total per month, I also could use some savings.

It's been a couple of years since we were there but I got birth control pills and Retin A. The BCs were 6.00 a pack, at the time I was paying 32.00 a pack (at home) until my deductible was fulfilled.

The woman's name at the pharmacy where we shopped was Angela Zebahn and she was licensed in Louisiana. You can try emailing her at:

azab at btl dot net and asking her prices. She will ship to you at your home and the shipping is reasonable.

Go early, when you get off the tender, because towards the end of the day the place is packed. We also went downtown to another pharmacy but didn't buy anything.

Here are the prices and sizes of Retin A from 2 years ago:

Retin-A 0.01% 40grams is $18.00 and add $2.00 every box for mailing

Retin-A 0.025% 40 grams is $18.00 and add $2.00 for mailing

Retin-A 0.05% 30 gram, generic, is $15.00 and add $1.50 for mailing.

HTH!

My daughter and I purchased some prescription drugs (no prescription required) at the pier in Belize. The pharmasist was a young American woman who used to work in the pharmacy at Walmart. She was very helpful and very professional.

My husband and I have purchased drugs in Spain when we stayed for a month and needed some antibiotics, etc. Also have purchased drugs in Portugal.

I don't have any fear of purchasing these medicines in a foreign country from a regular drug store.

if its a narcotic--any controlled substance--then yes you do need a prescription.

Retin A works great for my son with a acne problem--cleared it up within 2 weeks.. (yes, drs approval but costs way too much here)

Are you saying that non-controlled substances such as blood pressure medicine, cardiac drugs, and cholesterol meds can be purcahsed without a prescription?! Kind of dangerous policy if true.

We went to the drug store at the pier where the woman that worked in a Wal-Mart works. I bought Retin A and was given a 3X5 card with an email of: medimeds@btl.net They should answer your questions since this was the address they said I could use if I wanted to order any medication. They may be able to tell you if you need prescriptions for the medication that you need.

My avatar picture was taken about 20 steps away from this store.

When we went to Belize...

My 2 year old had developed an earache that was really bothering her...

I called the nurse at the infirmary on the ship and she advised me that the cost of seeing the doctor plus the medicine would likely top $150 which of course our insurance would not cover....

But she told me about the pharmacy in Belize and that I could buy bottles of Amoxicillin there and bring them back and call them back and they would tell me what dose to give my daughter....

We bought 4 bottles at $6 each...

She also said that the pharmacy in Belize is where the boat restocked their own medications so I assume they feel they are safe as well...

I have been buying our prescription medicine in Mexico for years. Much less expensive. Same product. Read the label. Most often manufactured in Canada and US. It is the packaging and dispensing that raises the cost.

Go for it and save some $.

Just my .02 worth.;)

When we went to Belize...

My 2 year old had developed an earache that was really bothering her...

I called the nurse at the infirmary on the ship and she advised me that the cost of seeing the doctor plus the medicine would likely top $150 which of course our insurance would not cover....

But she told me about the pharmacy in Belize and that I could buy bottles of Amoxicillin there and bring them back and call them back and they would tell me what dose to give my daughter....

We bought 4 bottles at $6 each...

She also said that the pharmacy in Belize is where the boat restocked their own medications so I assume they feel they are safe as well...

Was the amoxicillian mixed already or was it in powder form?

Thanks so much for the information, I feel much better about this now. If the ship uses this pharmacy, then I would think (as long as we are careful to get the correct strength of items) all should be OK...we already have the instructions from our regular prescriptions.

I will check out the email addresses given - thanks so much for taking the time to answer....we have learned so much from CC that it is amazing. :o

We went to the drug store at the pier where the woman that worked in a Wal-Mart works. I bought Retin A and was given a 3X5 card with an email of: medimeds@btl.net They should answer your questions since this was the address they said I could use if I wanted to order any medication. They may be able to tell you if you need prescriptions for the medication that you need.

My avatar picture was taken about 20 steps away from this store.

CWTC' date=' I sent a message to the address you provided above and used the one I had in the cc line. The one I had bounced back but this one went through so she has a new email addy. Thanks for providing this one:

[b']medimeds@btl.net[/b]

Ms B

I know from personal experience that many of the routine medicines that need a prescription in the US do not need them in other countries. Case in point: I needed anti-amoebic in Guatemala... symptoms and treatment are obvious, and the local convenience store has the drug. It would be silly to have to pay for a doctor's prescription, but that is how it is here in the US (doctors have clout, you know.)

Any serious sleeping pill or narcotic would need a prescription.

I went to the very same drug store that is owned and operated by husband and wife both pharmacy majors. At the time my Mother was taking vioxx at the cost of $80 per month (30 pills) and I got her 120 pills for the cost of $75. I also purchased for myself diet pills (youngest sons wedding was within the next 8 months) GREAT IDEA lost 30 lbs in no time and they did not bother me at all. I also got antibotics that I use for sinus infections, lomitil for diaherra, the amoxcillian liquid for grandchildren,retin a, pain medication compared to tylenol 3, just a pain pill with codein, muscle relaxers just a number of meds I use and she explaned EVERYONE of them to myself and my friend. Did not rush us told us prices up front, explained how to take, just the same things you pharmisist at home would do. Oh yes, I also got a WONDERFUL cream called Emugel that is for arthritis. Already approved for the US at the time but for the next couple of years. I can not say enough good things about this drug store. And the same Emugel that cost me $3 in Belize was $6 in Cozumel! S. Williams Sailing on the Holiday Sept.12 if the Port of Mobile is open! and Sept.24 on the Glory going back to BELIZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I should have also said NO PRESCRIPTIONS needed for anything I could see. ***** was available and priced per pill they had a hugh sign above the counter with names and prices of all mediations. I also got some ambien (sleeping pills) no prescription! Susan W.