NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

Has anyone ever booked a guaranteed cabin and used the 30,000 points to upgrade? We are being told that we cannot upgrade from an Oceanview Guarantee to a Balcony Guarantee. We would have to pay for an assigned Oceanview cabin to upgrade to a Balcony at a cost of $1800 to us PLUS the 30,000 points. Does this sound right?

Has anyone ever booked a guaranteed cabin and used the 30,000 points to upgrade? We are being told that we cannot upgrade from an Oceanview Guarantee to a Balcony Guarantee. We would have to pay for an assigned Oceanview cabin to upgrade to a Balcony at a cost of $1800 to us PLUS the 30,000 points. Does this sound right?

Can't be done. Meta upgrades must be category to category. Such as ib to ob or bb. Look at outside categories and see what balcony category matches. As a rule never choose lowest as there may be no lowest available in the uograde category.

Steve

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Forums mobile app

So Guaranteed is not a category? Does it actually say this somewhere, that you can't upgrade from a guarantee cabin?

I will just keep watching the cruise, and maybe the cabin prices in other outside 'categories' will go down before final payment (they already have fluctuated up and then back down in the past month.) I am fine with where we are actually but thought since we had the points we might as well use them for the upgrade.

Initially I was told we couldn't upgrade because they had assigned us a cabin already, so 'had already been upgraded', so I asked them to move me back to guaranteed. They then said I can't be upgraded. There are 'Guarantee Balconies' available.

Just want to be sure I am not getting an inexperienced employee, who doesn't know what they are talking about. I have made several calls and at one point was told that their 'supervisor' would call my travel agent to handle this. Never happened. We had to call them back.

The way they do these cross meta upgrade varies from ship to ship and sometimes even cruise to cruise. That means that an OX doesn't always upgrade to a BX. Perhaps, on your cruise, an OA upgrades to a BX... or maybe nothing upgrades to a BX. It seems to be arbitrary. I would call them back and ask for each balcony category to upgrade to what oceanview category you would need to book and then go from there.

So Guaranteed is not a category? Does it actually say this somewhere, that you can't upgrade from a guarantee cabin?

I will just keep watching the cruise, and maybe the cabin prices in other outside 'categories' will go down before final payment (they already have fluctuated up and then back down in the past month.) I am fine with where we are actually but thought since we had the points we might as well use them for the upgrade.

If you go to the bank of America sight and look up rewards you can find a meta upgrade and see it is in writing as well as a few other disclaimers. Some ships have no outside rooms so they are excluded.

If you wait, the cheaper categories will sell out and you will need to pay the rate for higher to get a balcony.

Steve

This is a great thread and I have learned a lot! I've read several pages of the more recent posts, especially regarding MC World points and the best way to redeem them. I do however have a few questions. Sorry if these have been asked & answered already, as there are a lot of pages here...

If I have accrued 30,000 points and book an OV, I can then call my World points center to META upgrade immediately? I don't have to wait until after final payment right?

Will getting a META upgrade from OV to balcony make me ineligible to get their upgrade offer at 80 days??

If I book an OV then Get my META balcony upgrade (same category) can I then pay to upgrade to an aft???

These might seem like stupid questions, but I like to know the facts before I proceed. Thanks.

This is a great thread and I have learned a lot! I've read several pages of the more recent posts, especially regarding MC World points and the best way to redeem them. I do however have a few questions. Sorry if these have been asked & answered already, as there are a lot of pages here...

If I have accrued 30,000 points and book an OV, I can then call my World points center to META upgrade immediately? I don't have to wait until after final payment right?

Will getting a META upgrade from OV to balcony make me ineligible to get their upgrade offer at 80 days??

If I book an OV then Get my META balcony upgrade (same category) can I then pay to upgrade to an aft???

These might seem like stupid questions, but I like to know the facts before I proceed. Thanks.

Yes you can call right away. You will get the opportunity to bid based on what you upgraded to (if you upgrade to balcony you will get minisuites and suites). You cannoy use points to upgrade from OV to balcony then pay the price difference between balcony and aft balcony.

I have points that will expired January, 2019. Can I use points to book prior but travel after the expiration date?

When you use the points they are done on the spot so just use them before expiration regardless of cruise date. But.....if you cancel or the cruiseline cancels you could loose as it BOAs deal not NCL.

Steve

No way on the aft.

The 80 days.....conflicting info on that. Depends on how meta is classified on confirmation.

If it says "complimentary upgrade" then no bidding allowed. So read confirmation after meta upgrade.

Steve

Looking to see what is the best way to spend my points. I currently have enough for a free cruise. Is the free cruise only to Mexico or Caribbean? Can you go to other destinations? Or is it better to spend the points on the single or double meta upgrade?

Do I book my cabin first and then call World Points or do they (WP) handle all the reservations?

Looking to see what is the best way to spend my points. I currently have enough for a free cruise. Is the free cruise only to Mexico or Caribbean? Can you go to other destinations? Or is it better to spend the points on the single or double meta upgrade?

Do I book my cabin first and then call World Points or do they (WP) handle all the reservations?

IMHO - Best deal is the double meta upgrade, but it depends on your limits.

Keep doing what you are doing... ask World Points a lot of questions.

IMHO, if you call World Points 3 times, you'll get 3 different answers.:p

Don't settle for what the first NCL rep offers.

Another vote for double meta.

DO you normally cruise in a balcony?

DO you only do a week?

Those are factors

Steve

Another vote for double meta.

DO you normally cruise in a balcony?

DO you only do a week?

Those are factors

Steve

I usually book suites and try to do b2b's. If I do the double meta, do I book an inside cabin first and then call World Points for the upgrade?

No way on the aft.

The 80 days.....conflicting info on that. Depends on how meta is classified on confirmation.

If it says "complimentary upgrade" then no bidding allowed. So read confirmation after meta upgrade.

Steve

I got the offer to bid after a meta upgrade. And it still let me bid 2 levels up from the balcony I upgraded to... even with the "complimentary upgrade" language.

I got the offer to bid after a meta upgrade. And it still let me bid 2 levels up from the balcony I upgraded to... even with the "complimentary upgrade" language.

I am impressed! You are the 1st that I have ever heard.

What ship was this and was your sailing full?

Steve

I am impressed! You are the 1st that I have ever heard.

What ship was this and was your sailing full?

Steve

It was the Pearl. IDK how full the sailing was - I wasn't interested in bidding that time so I didn't check for room availability.

I just cross Meta upgraded my OK category on Jade for a BD balcony GTY on Jade 3/12 Panama Canal partial transit. Of course I'd love a better balcony than that and haven't been assigned my stateroom yet as most cabins are now showing as a gty. My TA had to reassign my booking under a different code to be eligible to use my World points to Meta. I also got an invite to "upgrade" within 12 hours of this new code. Not sure how that works when I'm not even assigned a stateroom yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Still trying to understand how the points work. I book my cabin thru a TA and then call WP to do a meta upgrade. What if there is no cabins to upgrade too? Do I cancel the booking and try to find another cruise or date to try this again?

Still trying to understand how the points work. I book my cabin thru a TA and then call WP to do a meta upgrade. What if there is no cabins to upgrade too? Do I cancel the booking and try to find another cruise or date to try this again?

Should be cabins unless it's short notice.

You may need to book a higher category to get an available one in upgrade

Should be cabins unless it's short notice.

You may need to book a higher category to get an available one in upgrade

I am on a very short notice before my sailing and therefore limited in options. Keep in mind some ships have very little pricing difference between OV to balcony. In fact a bermuda cruise I am looking at for late spring currently has balconies for $50 less than OV. I personally check out pricing differentials to figure out which is the wisest way to cash in my World Points. For my sailing, it was for sure doing a meta upgrade to a balcony! I'd guesstimate a good $2000 for this feat. My only blunder, which was only because I didn't know about meta upgrades at the time of booking was that I chose the lowest Ocean view and should have chose the highest, that way my cross meta upgrade would be a better balcony. My sailing is listing most categories currently as GTY. Who knows, I may win out because the worse I can do in a balcony is what I am already jumping in at! A BD category. I have to keep reminding myself it is wayyyy better than my (former) obstructed OV room.

I am on a very short notice before my sailing and therefore limited in options. Keep in mind some ships have very little pricing difference between OV to balcony. In fact a bermuda cruise I am looking at for late spring currently has balconies for $50 less than OV. I personally check out pricing differentials to figure out which is the wisest way to cash in my World Points. For my sailing, it was for sure doing a meta upgrade to a balcony! I'd guesstimate a good $2000 for this feat. My only blunder, which was only because I didn't know about meta upgrades at the time of booking was that I chose the lowest Ocean view and should have chose the highest, that way my cross meta upgrade would be a better balcony. My sailing is listing most categories currently as GTY. Who knows, I may win out because the worse I can do in a balcony is what I am already jumping in at! A BD category. I have to keep reminding myself it is wayyyy better than my (former) obstructed OV room.

Call and tell them you have enough points and would like to do a double meta and see what they can do. They can reprice, move , adjust and can make it happen if......you get a good report on phone. If they sound unknowledgeable call back.