Calamity Jane's REVISED Part I. Freedom 12-13-14 and Link to Part II

Delta Dear

I made several errors in my original post, so this is the revision. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS OR MAKE COMMENTS ABOUT THE ORIGINAL.

I made some changes to this part of the review, but before doing so, I went ahead and posted the second part of my review. You can click here to read the part that covers the rest of the review.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2142220

Here we go again. Those who know me know that the nickname Calamity Jane means there is always an adventure on our cruises. We are Jane, 72, and Morgan, (Captain Morgan,) 76, from near Dover, Delaware. This is our 6th cruise since our first cruise in 2008, our fifth on Carnival.

It occurred to me that some of my review may not be something you quite relate to, but it may provide some insight for if and when you cruise with parents or grandparents. No matter what our age and stage, we continue to love Carnival, All For Fun and Fun For All. This cruise was no exception.

There is lots of background for you before we get into the heart of the cruise itself. After returning from out last cruise in March, 2013 on the Breeze, Morgan said he was finished with cruising and never wanted to cruise again. He was just not feeling well on that cruise. It was only one week before the scheduled removal of his thyroid, so I think he was physically worn out due to the condition. The surgery was successful; they only had to remove one side of his thyroid so all was well.

I love cruising and was broken hearted to hear he did not want to cruise again. But wait, not so fast my friend, let’s fast forward to winter, 2014 in Delaware. We didn’t have a lot of snow, but was it ever cold. As luck would have it, Morgan uttered the, “C,” word twice in January; One day he said, “I sure would like to be on a cruise right now.” Another day he said something about how relaxing cruising is. That was all my little ears, hearing aids and all, needed to hear.

I immediately booked a cruise before the $50.00 deposit sale ended on 1/30/14. YES, cruise booked for the Freedom, 12-13-14 sailing. Did I share the good news, NO I DID NOT, at least not until Valentine’s Day.

I decided that Morgan might object to the idea if I told him right away so instead I made up a Power Point Presentation to break it to him in a way he couldn’t resist. Pictures are worth a thousand words, you know.

On Valentine’s evening, I gave him a sweet card about our wonderful journey through life. (We have been married for 46 years.) I underlined the word, JOURNEY.

Then, I gave him a card with a ship on the sea that said, “Bon Voyage.” As soon as he saw the ship, he said, “OK, where are we going?” I handed him my iPad with the Power Point all cued up. He watched and said, “Ok, we’ll go.” YES !!! Go, Jane, GO !

Here's the Power Point. See for yourself why he couldn't resist my offer.

Slide1_zpsc2f57a9c.jpg

Slide2_zps26d6e7c2.jpg

Slide3_zps69166227.jpg

Slide4_zps5684fa44.jpg

Slide5_zps2c0b730a.jpg

Slide6_zpsffac9a37.jpg

There were so many challenges before the actual cruise I began to worry that we might not go after all. Morgan had a series of problems with his legs due to the poor circulation issues he has. There were numerous visits to doctors, emergency rooms, and so forth. But, he had no problems the weeks before the trip.

We were packed and on our way to Fort Lauderdale on Thurs. Dec. 11. At our ages, we need a little down time between modes of transportation. We allowed a day and a half just to rest and relax. We stayed at the Hyatt Place near the port. Somehow, our extra day turned out to be anything other than relaxing.

You see, Morgan, who, is an insulin-dependent diabetic did not pack as many insulin pens as he had out on the table when I saw him gathering his supplies. I discovered that on Friday when I handed him his things. He packed only two pens. We spent most of Friday on the telephone with Walgreens in DE and various Walgreens in FLL in order to get an emergency refill of insulin pens.

After lots of frustration with Walgreens and with taxi cabs, about five hours later, we finally obtained the two boxes with five pens in each box. Let me just add that in Dec., 2012, this same husband and I had to cut a visit with his cousin who lives in Belize. a WEEK short because he did not take enough of his injectable insulin that trip. Can you say, FLASHBACK ?

We met my good friend and sorority sister, Dona (from Albany, NY,) on Friday night for a Pre-Cruise dinner at Bimini Boatyard, then Saturday we were up bright and early for our trip to the port. Our son, John who lives in Hollywood, FL had been out of town was back just in time to take us to the port.

IMG_0640_zpsf711292a.jpg

I decided that Faster To The Fun would be a good plan for us, we were at the port by 10:30. A friend and her husband were already onboard because they were doing a Back 2 Back. She texted us to tell us that customs was extremely slow in clearing the ship so we might have quite a wait. We did. Just as we arrived at the lounge area for Diamond, Platinum and FTTF, they moved us to a boarding area where we waited and waited and waited. Finally, about 11:50, we were on board. YAY. We were greeted at the entrance to the Atrium by our friends.

IMG_0625_zps0726f2c9.jpg

We went right to our cabin, 9279 which was wonderful. We were only a few cabins away from the Atrium elevators and close to the door leading to the open Deck with Guy’s and the soft ice cream. I had originally booked on Deck 8, but later I learned that for $40.00 more we could be on the Lido Deck. Now, I am not only a balcony snob, but now I have become a Lido Deck snob and a FTTF snob. I hope to always have that triple treat whenever I cruise.

Since Morgan uses a C-Pap machine, the outlet is not convenient so we carry an extension cord and duck tape with us. I tape the cord down so that we don’t trip as me move about the cabin. The tape stays in place for the entire cruise. There has never been a question or an issue with doing this.

IMG_0335_zpsa43fe29a.jpg

Once we relaxed for a minute and I took the first photos from the balcony, you guessed it; Guys Burgers. Yum ! They are much more generous with the fries now than they were when they first hit the Breeze. I had to have a dish of the ice cream as well.

IMG_0139_zpsa6d2285f.jpg

Because of my hearing challenges, especially when using a telephone, I requested the ‘hearing impaired equipment,’ which was in our cabin when I arrived. I had a message on the screen to come to Guest Services right after the muster drill to sign for the equipment. . Muster drill then, the next calamity took place.

IMG_0322_zps55932cbd.jpg

IMG_0323_zpsa306921e.jpg

As requested, I went to Guess Services directly to the special dedicated line for Diamond, Platinum and FTTF. There was only one couple ahead of me. Great. The staff had not returned yet from the drill. As we were waiting, this older man tried to butt his way in front of me. I have to laugh at myself all of the time when I use the term, “older.” At 72, most people I describe as older, are probably at least 10 or more years younger than I am.

I held my position with a body language stance that said, “Oh, no you don’t.” He then said to me, “This line is ONLY for Diamond and Platinum.” I sweetly said, “No, look at the sign. It is for D and P AND FTTF.” He repeated his first statement again. He glared at the sign and then said, “WHAT is Faster To The Fun ?” So I explained. He then really got an attitude and said, “Hmmph ! Fifty dollars!” which he repeated again.

Ok, so I haven’t spent as much as he has with Carnival, but they have the program, I paid for it, so I am as entitled to use that as he is, right?

By now, GS agent #1 was serving the couple ahead of me. GS #2 came to the left, in the regular area and said, “I’ll take the next person.” As I quickly moved to that agent so that Mr. Snooty wouldn’t run me over, I tripped on the base of the stand where the ribbon divider was held.

KERPLOP, right down there, sprawled out on the floor! People came from all around to help me get up, but I knew if I got on my knees I could push myself up. As I was about to do so, voices said, NO, wait, you will hit your head on the counter above if you stand up now. LOL, just what I would need; a concussion and a sore knee. GS asked if I wanted to be seen by someone; no thanks, did I want some ice? Ok, I took the ice, signed what I needed to sign , signed up for the $25.00 Social internet plan and hobbled up to the Lido for the ‘got away,’ and my traditional Chocolate Mocha Getaway.

After my fall, I made it a point to be careful about where and how I was going. Unfortunately, a young woman fell on the first day and broke her leg in two places. She slipped in the area between the two hot tubs on the Lido Deck. Since we had to cross through that area several time a day, I was especially careful there. Another women broke her leg, also but that was on the gang way one day I understand.

Dona, and my other friend with her husband were waiting for me on the Lido. Morgan had gone back to the cabin after the muster. We were standing right next to the Blue Iguana Bar so instead of hobbling to the Red Frog Rum Bar, ice bag on knee as I walked, I decided to just get my Chocolate Mocha Getaway from the Blue Iguana Bar. After all, a bar is a bar, right? WRONG. It was the most pitiful CMG I have ever had. If I had not been in a bit of discomfort, I would have taken it back to have it remade. It lacked enough chocolate, the chocolate drizzle on the glass was sad, and the whipped cream on top must have been the tail end of the dispenser because it was just a flat blob on top. Compare that one with my ‘free,’ VIFP brunch CMC. Now, THAT’S what a CMG is supposed to look like.

IMG_0146_zps836c0c42.jpg

IMG_0683_zpsd3b3002a.jpg

The cruise was officially underway. So long, Fort Lauderdale, hello Freedom, friends, with a Chocolate Mocha Getaway in hand, I was ready for the fun.

Our shirts say it all. A friend made them for us.

cruiseshirtcountonus_zps302051b0.jpg

IMG_0140_zpsa1570510.jpg

Ooops, did I mention that sometime between my shower in the hotel room, and leaving the hotel, I misplaced my watch? Who needs a watch, anyhow? I found it three days later in the purse that I have carefully inspected when I first missed it. DUH.

. A few words here about the ship. I read many reviews before boarding and the consensus was that that someone was always cleaning something. Very true. The staff was extremely friendly and very helpful if you needed help. I do prefer the simple layout of the Spirit Class ships because having to remember which decks go through is a pain.

It was very helpful to be on the Lido Deck because we could walk across to the aft elevators to get to the Posh Dining Room. Morgan could stop and rest, and I could sit at one of the tables when he needed to do so. After dinner, we usually walked across Deck 5 where there were also seats along the way.

When it was time to go to the Posh Dining Room for dinner the first night, I made the big mistake of getting turned around and heading in the wrong direction. Morgan uses a rolling walker with a seat when he is cruising because he gets severe leg cramping when he walks. He can go only so far, then he sits while the pain lessens and the circulation improves. Getting to dinner that first night was a very painful experience for him. We were seated on level four just the second table in at a four seater with Dona. Her friend was unable to come on the cruise so it was just the three of us.

Our server, Allen was extremely pleasant; he assured us that being late that night was not a problem. How convenient that our cabin steward’s name was also Allen. Both did an excellent job.. There were three nights that Morgan just could not push through his discomfort so we stopped in the Lido Deck and had dinner there. One night we ate at the steakhouse. I really don’t like the Lido Deck for dinner, but there are times you have to do what you have to do.

We all know about the towel animals. Our server Allen made these adorable animals using the napkins in the MDR. There were 3-4 on a bread plate. How cute.

IMG_0655_zpsbb3b80aa.jpg

Oh my gosh, your tone, this PowerPoint and the beautiful picture of you and Morgan are bringing tears to my eyes. What a delightful couple you must be!

Thanks so much. We do enjoy each other as much as we did 46 years ago. Be sure to read the other part of the review as well.

Happy New Year to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jane! I loved your review (read part 2 before part 1!) and I just needed to stop by.

I thought the powerpoint thing was SO funny! I do the same thing to my husband any time I plan a trip. He makes fun of me because I do it quite often and he already knows when I've got my plan of attack ready LOL...

We've been married almost 5 years. I can only hope we can be like you and your husband when we get to be your age. That picture of you two is so beautiful and so is your love for each other! :)

Happy new year! xo

• 5 months later...
Hi Jane! I loved your review (read part 2 before part 1!) and I just needed to stop by.

I thought the powerpoint thing was SO funny! I do the same thing to my husband any time I plan a trip. He makes fun of me because I do it quite often and he already knows when I've got my plan of attack ready LOL...

We've been married almost 5 years. I can only hope we can be like you and your husband when we get to be your age. That picture of you two is so beautiful and so is your love for each other! :)

Happy new year! xo

I'm sorry I am just seeing your post.

Glad I'm not the only one who does crazy things. Our husbands enjoy it, even if they think we are nuts.

I hope you have had a Happy New Year.... and a half by now.

Edited by Delta Dear

Such a sweet couple! We are going on our first cruise in October on the Freedom and I hope we have many more to come! I'd love it if we were in our 70s and still cruisin' together!

On to part 2!

Such a sweet couple! We are going on our first cruise in October on the Freedom and I hope we have many more to come! I'd love it if we were in our 70s and still cruisin' together!

On to part 2!

Thank you, I'm glad to hear you are booked for the Freedom. We enjoyed it ! I must warn you, however, cruising is addictive. I hope you'll enjoy many years of cruisin' together.