Any experience carrying drone onboard?

Meanee

Please don't bring it to fly around landmarks. We were on a cruise this summer at the historic fort on St. Kitts. A couple had a drone flying above the the whole time, which really distracted from the visit for as it was loud and flying all around between people. In addition, there was a very clear sign when we entered the fort area that drones were not permitted. Just my opinion.

Good point. I can see

how it would be totally distracting to have drones flying around .

Edited by west coast cruiser
Added a word.

I have only experienced a drone once, but the sound it made was very distracting and annoying.

Keep in mind, drones are all different. Different propellers, different ESCs (speed controllers that run motors), and different motors all produce different sounds. Some people can even tell the drone model based on sound. Mine is pretty quiet. If you run a larger drone with more or less pro camera, like DJI Inspire, you will hear it far away. My drone, 30-40 feet away, is hard to hear on a normal day.

So, don't lump it all together.

Hey all!

I am on December 1st sailing on Crown Princess to South Caribbean. I have a small drone that I would like to take with me. Aruba and Curacao allow it, Bonaire does not. Drone is small enough, when folded, to fit in a jacket pocket.

I know that drones are prohibited to be flown on a ship and I am not going to fly it there. Idea is to fly it at port of call, around some landmarks.

Was anyone successful bringing one without getting hassled by security? I'd rather not lose it.

A couple years ago, someone posted a link to a video from a drone overflying a cruise ship.

The comments were positive.

Someone asks about bringing a drone, and gets a pile of negative comments.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2204691

Seems like a self explanatory answer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

With everyone going from "Sure" to "Do not" and "I'd like to shoot one" I am curious where did you get the self-explanatory answer.

With everyone going from "Sure" to "Do not" and "I'd like to shoot one" I am curious where did you get the self-explanatory answer.

The Golden Rule. Drones can be dangerous, annoying, noisy and scary. If your item does not in any way disturb anyone else, no problem. Otherwise it should be self explanatory to avoid using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Golden Rule. Drones can be dangerous, annoying, noisy and scary. If your item does not in any way disturb anyone else, no problem. Otherwise it should be self explanatory to avoid using it.

the first line of your post reminds me of my first wife.

Please take your Drone ! It will be taken away by security and the subject will never arise again

Sounds like you get annoyed easily.

Are those drones flying around you every day?

How about those comfort dogs?

I must lead a sheltered life since I've only seen one in my life flying around- - and that was only for 2 minutes.

Where are all these drones? :confused:

Yes

No, just at some events I have paid to see.

It only takes one.

Yes you probably do lead a sheltered life.

In the air over almost every event.

I've been to a few every now & then an unless they've been banned I just don't notice them.

You do understand that because you may not be bothered by a drone others might be right?

I look at the issue as we're all on this bike tour (or whatever the activity) together. My actions impact others, just as what others do impacts me.

I understand that I can't do what I want whenever I want. That's part of being an adult.

You do understand that because you may not be bothered by a drone others might be right?

I look at the issue as we're all on this bike tour (or whatever the activity) together. My actions impact others, just as what others do impacts me.

I understand that I can't do what I want whenever I want. That's part of being an adult.

Very true. Everyone has their likes & dislikes but as long as people operate within the laws there's nothing that you can do about it.

Not really on topic here though I am all for drones, phones and technology in general. I always think that Princess do a good job with their DVD's though I don't always buy it. The highlights are usually within the time frame of leaving ports and particularly your departure day. If you're independent at different ports then you're not going to have the luxury of princess photographers, I think it's completely reasonable to drone as much as you want. I can't imagine anyone would be stupid enough to use it on the ship but then again,,, I'm sure we've all seen things we'd rather forget on cruise ships. There is no point in getting all personal about not liking drones, look at where not liking stem cell research has taken us? Nowhere.

This will save the cost of purchasing the cruise.

I don't understand the negative comments from some folks here.

The poster said he was going to follow the rules, and not use it on the ship.

Why would anyone care what he brings onboard and keeps in his cabin?

Umm... Princess cares what we bring on board and keep in our cabins:

Would YOU be comfortable knowing passengers on each side of your cabin, the deck above and below had candles in their cabin? How about coffee makers with frayed electrical cords, at least one of those passengers having a reputation for leaving the room without turning it off?

Still have that "don't care" attitude? Perhaps not, but Princess certainly does! They are concerned about fire hazards. In general, wouldn't you agree that they are concerned about the safety of the THOUSANDS OF HUMAN LIVES on board and as a result make rules and prohibit items?

In four pages of discussion (term used loosely) no one has pondered WHY Princess -- as well as other cruise lines-- include drones in their list of "Prohibited Items" on board. Instead it's usually "me, me, me: these are my wants and needs."

Only supposition, but it could be one of two things:

-interference with ships navigation & communication systems

-forbidding devices that could help pinpoint a ship's actual location while at sea.

Lastly, let me be careful and coy here a moment, so that I stay within the CC rules of NOT DISCUSSING CC decision to edit or remove posts. We can't discuss it, so I won't.

Instead I will relate a DREAM that I had last night where I read in a well-read national newspaper Cruise Critics's decision to BAR ALL POSTS where members discuss the smuggling of prohibited items or methods to circumvent a cruise line's posted policies and regulations. The website's spokesperson stated it was part of an effort to maintain their good reputation of a source of positive information about consumer cruising. Most industry experts agreed that part of the decision was based on an internal management decision to avoid being later found to be the "source of information" should an incident occur on a cruise.

But it was only a dream....

Keep dreaming & maybe all your dreams will come true someday.

In the mean time I'll continue to bring what I deem as acceptable and if they deny me boarding with those items I'll deal with it at the time.

Keep dreaming & maybe all your dreams will come true someday.

In the mean time I'll continue to bring what I deem as acceptable and if they deny me boarding with those items I'll deal with it at the time.

I will... because in my dreams everyone is considerate, selfless, and void of ignorance. Given your comment, not so strange why I never see you there.

Happy will be the day when Cruise Critic does turn over comments, such at the above one, to cruise lines who begin viewing these potential passengers as security threats. The airlines deny boarding every day to would-be passengers who say the wrong thing. Perhaps cruise lines should step up security and deny boarding as well.

Edited by rbt001

Would YOU be comfortable knowing passengers on each side of your cabin, the deck above and below had candles in their cabin? How about coffee makers with frayed electrical cords, at least one of those passengers having a reputation for leaving the room without turning it off?

Still have that "don't care" attitude? Perhaps not, but Princess certainly does! They are concerned about fire hazards. In general, wouldn't you agree that they are concerned about the safety of the THOUSANDS OF HUMAN LIVES on board and as a result make rules and prohibit items?

In four pages of discussion (term used loosely) no one has pondered WHY Princess -- as well as other cruise lines-- include drones in their list of "Prohibited Items" on board. Instead it's usually "me, me, me: these are my wants and needs."

Only supposition, but it could be one of two things:

-interference with ships navigation & communication systems

-forbidding devices that could help pinpoint a ship's actual location while at sea.

Lastly, let me be careful and coy here a moment, so that I stay within the CC rules of NOT DISCUSSING CC decision to edit or remove posts. We can't discuss it, so I won't.

Instead I will relate a DREAM that I had last night where I read in a well-read national newspaper Cruise Critics's decision to BAR ALL POSTS where members discuss the smuggling of prohibited items or methods to circumvent a cruise line's posted policies and regulations. The website's spokesperson stated it was part of an effort to maintain their good reputation of a source of positive information about consumer cruising. Most industry experts agreed that part of the decision was based on an internal management decision to avoid being later found to be the "source of information" should an incident occur on a cruise.

Drones use 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz band. These are unregulated bands used by your WiFi systems and other wireless communication devices. Airplanes offering WiFi use these bands. You have hundreds WiFi access points throughout the deck of your ship. Microwaves can cause disruptions on same frequency. So yeah, it won't interfere with any ship systems whatsoever. If it did, ships would be running aground and planes would be falling out of the skies daily.

Forbidding to pinpoint ship's location at sea? Seriously? Any person can buy few minutes of internet, and post ship's location using phone's GPS. But nah, let me bring $1k drone to do this same thing. Also, ship's position is never a secret anyway. Tons of tracking websites out there offer just that.

Moving on... Smuggling stuff on board. I asked a clear question if anyone had experience to bring it onboard. Princess lists drones as "prohibited without lawful reason" and yeah, me wanting to fly it in ports of call is a lawful reason.

Apparently you also missed a post where I said that I will gladly turn it in to ship security and sign it out only when I am in allowed ports of call (Bonaire does not allow drones).

I can tell you WHY Princess does not want to allow them. Drones can be dangerous in hands of careless individual. A drone like Inspire 2 with carbon fiber propellers can pretty much slice your finger off. Imagine anyone feeling like flying this thing on the ship, what liability is cruiseline exposed to, if 7.5lb machine with sharp blades slams into some unsuspecting child.

So, please, re-read what you called "so called discussion" and try to understand what the discussion is about, before posting whatever was it that you posted above. Nobody here said that the idea was to smuggle the drone on a ship to fly it around.

I also have a dream. I dream that people would read, and comprehend before posting. But it's only a dream....