Taking alcohol on board

Host Sharon

Agreed. If he thinks Peroni is a premium beer his comments on wine and other beers can hardly he taken seriously.

And why would you want to drink Peroni unless you had a serious pretension issue!!

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Agreed,the nats pee that is Peroni and San Miguel seem to be taking over in the UK.True premium lagers like Stella and K 1664 seem to be diminishing,burble,burble,burble,lol.

Maybe but your local hotel has to pay UK excise duty on their drinks and has to take VAT into account, whereas cruise lines have neither cost. So they ought to be able to to offer lower prices, or at least serve more generous measures, as some of the US cruise lines do.

But the same cannot be said for wine and to an extent beer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

P&O are the cheapest around regarding wine,not so much spirits.We paid £16 for a decent Italian rose on the Aurora.Princess charge $30 + 15% and they are reasonable compared to Cunard.

Sorry my comments were not in this context. I was trying to relate to the original point of this thread which was. P&O limiting the amount of booze you can take on board.

The point was that in cabin spirits are about the same price as in a supermarket. (Normal price not Christmas special) whereas in cabin wine prices are high in comparison with the same supermarkets.

The whole thread was about in cabin drinking not what the bar prices are. On that point I agree P&O are cheaper on wine.

Spirits drinkers win again, time P&O was more generous to us common men who drink wine and beer.

What a shame ;)

Anderson’s perfect serve is the way to go.

Yes you can but the prices are the same as you pay in the dining room. House wine £15 or in that region.

Think that may be closer to £16.50

Thank you for that information. I will probably do that. I was wondering how to spend the onboard credit.

Best wishes, Stephen.

I agree with you, P&O don't charge pub prices. Their prices are a lot cheaper than pubs.

I pay around £5.50 for a beer in a pub, and in a hotel with similar standards to P&O...well the sky is the limit.

So the £4ish that P&O charge is a bargain.

How is £4 cheaper than the £2.09 I pay? If a pub charged P&O prices round here it would go out of business in a month..

I didn't say £4 is cheaper than £2, I said P&O charge less than pub prices; the pubs I and millions of others use.

I didn't say £4 is cheaper than £2, I said P&O charge less than pub prices; the pubs I and millions of others use.
And they charge more than millions of others pay. I agree that P&O prices are competitive compared to other cruise lines, but paying £5 for a pint of John Smiths ? No serious beer drinker would pay that!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

And they charge more than millions of others pay. I agree that P&O prices are competitive compared to other cruise lines, but paying £5 for a pint of John Smiths ? No serious beer drinker would pay that!

£4.05 not £5. Look at the price list above.

Now that is a totally different discussion.

I will stick to my Anderson’s Perfect Serve.

I must get my wife to try your Andersons, but after 50 years of drinking I have yet to have more than a sip of gin , and I'm not going to start now!!

I must get my wife to try your Andersons, but after 50 years of drinking I have yet to have more than a sip of gin , and I'm not going to start now!!

I am taking a Bushmills single malt as well as buying the gin.

So, we have established that there is a North South divide in beer prices, just as there is with salaries, property prices and rental levels. The two are clearly linked as these cost factors will help determine prices at a local level.

The reality, though, is that P&O will not base their prices on the cheapest areas of the UK. Why would they? That would be daft.

A simple Google search uncovered the following recent article on UK average pub prices for a pint, which shows £3.05 for bitter (£3.58 for lager), with average prices of £4.20 in London and £4.40 in Surrey. As these are average prices, there will be as many places charging more as there are places that charge less.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/21/average-price-pint-bitter-tops-3-first-time/

As I have said before, cruise ships aren’t pubs. They are floating hotels, so comparisons with pubs are probably unfair anyway. Hotels and restaurants would be a fairer comparison.

So, I guess all this tells us is that if you live in one of the least expensive areas of the UK, P&O prices will always seem steep and most other cruise operators drinks prices will seem eye watering. And those who live in more expensive areas will continue to consider their prices to be reasonable compared to what we have to pay locally, even in pubs. Keep in mind that P&O operates from Southampton, after all, which is about as far South as you can get!

Finally, it’s good that P&O publishes all their drinks prices online as there are no surprises. As it’s a free market, we can all decide whether or not we are prepared to pay them and, if not, we can holiday elsewhere. I do, however, fully accept that the recent tightening of walk on allowances is a surprise for those who consider this to be important and had already made bookings.

And, as for John Smiths Smooth, I wouldn’t drink that stuff if they gave it away free of charge! I find the choice of beers on P&O ships to be excellent and I really like the fact that the waiters will (mostly) happily find me a ‘room temperature’ bottle, which is a godsend for those of us who feel that it should be illegal to serve bitter and ales chilled!

So, we have established that there is a North South divide in beer prices, just as there is with salaries, property prices and rental levels. The two are clearly linked as these cost factors will help determine prices at a local level.

The reality, though, is that P&O will not base their prices on the cheapest areas of the UK. Why would they? That would be daft.

A simple Google search uncovered the following recent article on UK average pub prices for a pint, which shows £3.05 for bitter (£3.58 for lager), with average prices of £4.20 in London and £4.40 in Surrey. As these are average prices, there will be as many places charging more as there are places that charge less.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/21/average-price-pint-bitter-tops-3-first-time/

As I have said before, cruise ships aren’t pubs. They are floating hotels, so comparisons with pubs are probably unfair anyway. Hotels and restaurants would be a fairer comparison.

So, I guess all this tells us is that if you live in one of the least expensive areas of the UK, P&O prices will always seem steep and most other cruise operators drinks prices will seem eye watering. And those who live in more expensive areas will continue to consider their prices to be reasonable compared to what we have to pay locally, even in pubs. Keep in mind that P&O operates from Southampton, after all, which is about as far South as you can get!

Finally, it’s good that P&O publishes all their drinks prices online as there are no surprises. As it’s a free market, we can all decide whether or not we are prepared to pay them and, if not, we can holiday elsewhere. I do, however, fully accept that the recent tightening of walk on allowances is a surprise for those who consider this to be important and had already made bookings.

And, as for John Smiths Smooth, I wouldn’t drink that stuff if they gave it away free of charge! I find the choice of beers on P&O ships to be excellent and I really like the fact that the waiters will (mostly) happily find me a ‘room temperature’ bottle, which is a godsend for those of us who feel that it should be illegal to serve bitter and ales chilled!

Great post all points covered excellently.

I guess all this tells us is that if you live in one of the least expensive areas of the UK, P&O prices will always seem steep and most other cruise operators drinks prices will seem eye watering.

Finally, it’s good that P&O publishes all their drinks prices online as there are no surprises. As it’s a free market, we can all decide whether or not we are prepared to pay them and, if not, we can holiday elsewhere.

And, as for John Smiths Smooth, I wouldn’t drink that stuff if they gave it away free of charge!

From my personal experiences , you could do a lot worse ..Sam Smiths comes to mind ! :eek: ;)[ /quote]

Excellent post Selbourne !

What a very good post. Might it possibly be the final one in this comprehensive but now exhausted thread?

I agree but these threads don't work like that unless someone "The Padlock Keeper " comes along ;p

Excellent post, well thought out and perfectly put together. Covers areas that we tend to forget, or ignore.

I find the choice of beers on P&O ships to be excellent and I really like the fact that the waiters will (mostly) happily find me a ‘room temperature’ bottle, which is a godsend for those of us who feel that it should be illegal to serve bitter and ales chilled!

Now that I do agree with.

Does anyone know why on earth P&O consider it acceptable to chill beer to death?

Is it the influence of their parent company who is demonstrating that Americans have no idea when it comes to beer?

Now that I do agree with.

Does anyone know why on earth P&O consider it acceptable to chill beer to death?

Is it the influence of their parent company who is demonstrating that Americans have no idea when it comes to beer?

I don't believe that any cruise line will serve cask conditioned beer, which needs to be served at cellar temperature which I doubt exist in a cruise ship bar. Most beers will be served pressurised from kegs and the recommended way to serve these is chilled.

All this talk reminds me of a joke from the 80's, I believe, "I don't mind these Camra guys trying to improve beer quality, but ever since they came on the scene you cannot find a decent pint of Watneys Red Barrel anywhere".