Sydney hotel for a week before our cruise

Plant

Thank you. When are you planning on being there next?

After more searching it seems we can get a 1-bedroom suite with in-suite laundry at a few other places for close to the cost of a room at HI. May be a bit more convenient to have the washer/dryer in-suite....that way I can do laundry in my pj's, if I feel so inclined :D

Not sure when I'll be there next.

For a week I'd much rather an apartment with laundry and kitchen than a hotel room.

For a week I'd much rather an apartment with laundry and kitchen than a hotel room.

Even for a couple of days it's worth it, as we discovered last month in Auckland before boarding our cruise. We had a couple of nights there to catch up with friends and it rained heavily on the day before boarding. Naturally that's when my umbrella decided to break, not that a small travel umbrella was all that efficient in driving rain but at least it usually keeps by head dry and my glasses clear. By the time we got back to our apartment in the late afternoon we were like drowned rats. We just chucked all our clothes into the washing machine and dryer and had nice clean dry clothes to pack next morning.

Even for a couple of days it's worth it, as we discovered last month in Auckland before boarding our cruise. We had a couple of nights there to catch up with friends and it rained heavily on the day before boarding. Naturally that's when my umbrella decided to break, not that a small travel umbrella was all that efficient in driving rain but at least it usually keeps by head dry and my glasses clear. By the time we got back to our apartment in the late afternoon we were like drowned rats. We just chucked all our clothes into the washing machine and dryer and had nice clean dry clothes to pack next morning.

Yeah it really comes down to what we're doing before hand.

Now, with no flying, it's just the day before the cruise generally, but when there was a land trip before a laundry could be the turning point on where to stay.

Not sure when I'll be there next.

I completely agree. We will have 4 nights there and as well as laundry we can make our early morning tea and perhaps save a few $$ by preparing a few meals instead of eating out.

We decided on Meriton Serviced Apartments, Kent Street for our six night stay before our cruise. We'll be leaving the US next week:D!

We like that there's a kitchen and laundry in the apartment.

While we enjoy eating out sometimes we just want to lay around and fix a bowl of cereal or a sandwich!

Having a laundry means we can start our cruise with clean clothes.

GUT, I'd like to thank you for all the help you've given me about Sydney and Australia, whether you know it or not! You're a great representative of your area :) and I hope to meet you someday!

We decided on Meriton Serviced Apartments, Kent Street for our six night stay before our cruise. We'll be leaving the US next week:D!

We like that there's a kitchen and laundry in the apartment.

While we enjoy eating out sometimes we just want to lay around and fix a bowl of cereal or a sandwich!

Having a laundry means we can start our cruise with clean clothes.

GUT, I'd like to thank you for all the help you've given me about Sydney and Australia, whether you know it or not! You're a great representative of your area :) and I hope to meet you someday!

Very kind of you to say that.

I think you've made a good pick,

For six nights the kitchen and laundry will give you more options and personally I think Kent street is a good location, not as much traffic noise but still central.

I doubt I'll be in the city during that period, so unlikely to meet.

I genuinely hope you enjoy both your stay and your cruise.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Plant

Just wondering if you're home yet, and how it went?

Hello, GUT, thanks again for all your help! We are home and had a wonderful time! The Meriton, Kent Street, was great! We didn't get really early check-in, but went to the lounge and napped until about 11:30 AM, when Sam from Customer Service came up and said we'd been upgraded to a two bedroom suite and it was ready :). We were in 5307, which is actually 43 floors up (the check-in floor is the 10th). We faced southwest and could see the fireworks at Darling Harbor one night. We also could hear the work being done on George Street, but it wasn't as loud as it would have been on the other side of the hotel.

We went to Cole's Supermarket to stock up on a few things. We also went to Liquorland next door to Cole's! Both are only a block from the hotel. (Turn left out the front door, left again, go one block, Cole's is catty-corner and down the escalator). Don't waste your money at the convenience store on the corner, just walk another block to Cole's!

We took a cab from the airport to the hotel. It was rush hour and cost about $60.00 US. The cab from the hotel to the port was about $12.00 US.

If you have any questions I'll try to answer them :) !

Hello, GUT, thanks again for all your help! We are home and had a wonderful time! The Meriton, Kent Street, was great! We didn't get really early check-in, but went to the lounge and napped until about 11:30 AM, when Sam from Customer Service came up and said we'd been upgraded to a two bedroom suite and it was ready :). We were in 5307, which is actually 43 floors up (the check-in floor is the 10th). We faced southwest and could see the fireworks at Darling Harbor one night. We also could hear the work being done on George Street, but it wasn't as loud as it would have been on the other side of the hotel.

We went to Cole's Supermarket to stock up on a few things. We also went to Liquorland next door to Cole's! Both are only a block from the hotel. (Turn left out the front door, left again, go one block, Cole's is catty-corner and down the escalator). Don't waste your money at the convenience store on the corner, just walk another block to Cole's!

We took a cab from the airport to the hotel. It was rush hour and cost about $60.00 US. The cab from the hotel to the port was about $12.00 US.

If you have any questions I'll try to answer them :) !

Glad to hear it all worked out.

Yepcoles or Woolies beat a convenience store hands down.

Yikes US$60 for the cab seems a bit steep, that's near enough $100 our money. $12 to the Port sounds close, I think we paid about $20 Aus.

We did spend some time sitting still in traffic :(.

We also went to Woolies, about a block from the hotel.

You should have seen us trying to buy a ticket and then navigate the train from Town Hall Station to the Ferry Station :o! We made it, but only with help from a very nice lady who works there! She gave us some change so we had the exact amount for the ticket's. Why you can't pay more, I don't understand (the fare was $8.20 and we would have gladly paid $9.00, but that isn't allowed).

We found the signage to be lacking, too. I guess if you're used to using the train you don't need the signage, but we needed help!

I think I'm going to avoid train's from now on :D!

I'm also interested in a serviced apartment for our 7-night stay in Sydney pre-cruise in February 2018. The Meriton Kent Street sounds good, but I'm concerned about the George Street construction noise impacting my sleep. Is there construction during the night and in the early morning?

I'm also interested in a serviced apartment for our 7-night stay in Sydney pre-cruise in February 2018. The Meriton Kent Street sounds good, but I'm concerned about the George Street construction noise impacting my sleep. Is there construction during the night and in the early morning?

I doubt any noise from George will have any impact if your staying in Kent Street.

Last time I stayed in Sydney (no 2nd last time I think) we were in York Street, closer to George St than Kent is and the work was level with us we certainly noticed no more noise than on other stays.

We could hear some noise from the George Street construction, but it wasn't very loud. (We were 43 floors up). Unless you're on a very low floor I wouldn't worry about the noise. The Meriton, Kent Street is between Kent and George Streets. You might want to ask for an apartment away from George Street to be sure of a nice sleep!

• 2 weeks later...

When we visited Sydney in 2013 two of my Son's friends were staying at Merton Service Apts (we were at the Hilton). We visited them and found the apartments were spacious with kitchen and small dining table for four as well as bedrooms. Only disadvantage was the location was farther away from things, requiring more walking.

When we visited Sydney in 2013 two of my Son's friends were staying at Merton Service Apts (we were at the Hilton). We visited them and found the apartments were spacious with kitchen and small dining table for four as well as bedrooms. Only disadvantage was the location was farther away from things, requiring more walking.

hTTT

There are many Meriton Apartment's in the Sydney area. We enjoyed the one on Kent Street, but other people would like another area, depending on what's important to them. From the review's I've read, they're all nice and reasonably priced.

The George Street Construction works are due to be finished by the end of the year I believe so it probably shouldn't affect your stay in Sydney in February. We stayed at Meriton Apartments on Campbell Street, very close to George Street prior to our cruise in March and didn't hear any construction noise at all. These Meriton apartments ares just a few minutes walk to Central Station.

Leigh

• 2 weeks later...

We've stayed at the Meriton World Tower on Liverpool Street. Great views, very central with Coles Supermarket directly below the apartments. There's loads of places to eat and drink in the vicinity and an easy walk to Central Station, Townhall or Museum Stations. Darling Harbour, China town and Thai town are all a few minutes walk away.

We are flying in to SYD 6 days before our cruise in February.

We are looking at The Rendevouz at The Rocks.

It seems to be close to harbor and they have 1 bedroom apartments with kitchen. Is it a good location for venturing out for sights? (Close to transit). 🙏THANKS

We are flying in to SYD 6 days before our cruise in February.

We are looking at The Rendevouz at The Rocks.

It seems to be close to harbor and they have 1 bedroom apartments with kitchen. Is it a good location for venturing out for sights? (Close to transit). 🙏THANKS

The Rendezvous at The Rocks is in a great position to see the sights of Sydney. It is just a few minutes walk to Circular Quay Railway Station ferries and the Overseas Passenger Terminal where if is probable your cruise will sail from. I haven't stayed there but but my husband, son and son in law stayed there a few years ago and found it very convenient for their weekend in Sydney.

Leigh

Thank you so much for the reply. It sounds like this will be a good choice. We booked a 1 King apartment with harbor views. Sounds like we will have a balcony and views should be great. We are looking forward to see Sydney again. It has been 25 years since last visit.:o :D

We've booked the Meriton serviced Partments in Bondi Junction for aweek pre cruise in October. We hope to use trains and busses to get around. Are we too far away from everything?

No, great location. Bondi Junction is the train terminus and hub for bus transport. You can catch a council bus direct from the airport to Bondi Junction, without paying the high gate tax on the train at the airport. Just make sure you buy an Opal Card, as the fares are cheaper. The train to the city is quick. You can catch busses from Bondi Junction to Bondi, North Bondi and Watson's Bay for fish and chips, etc. Bondi Junction has great shopping, good restaurants, etc.

Thanks for the great info. We are planning on buying an Opal Card. We had planned on taking the train from the airport. Great news about taking the council bus direct to Bondi Junction. Where will we find these buses? Can we use the Opal card on these buses?

One more question, we hope to take the train to the Blue Mountains. We believe that we can also use the Opal Card for this trip. Are we correct?