The BIG 60!

Lois R

Hi,:) as many of you regulars know, I took my first River Cruise last year on AMA and LOVED IT:D.......since that cruise

I have taken 2 Ocean Cruises and will be going on another one in August.....the newest is on Silverseas and am quite

excited about it.:D...AMA was fabulous and from everything I have been reading, SS is fabulous too:)....it is much

more $, but circumstances in my life have given me the opportunity so I am grabbing it.

Now, March of 2018 is the BIG 60.......I know how much I loved the River Cruise and just wanted to get some input on

suggestions for the big birthday......just not sure if I should do another River Cruise or not........I did love the first one so

I am guessing I would enjoy a 2nd too........any recommendations/input would be appreciated:)

Question, is the edit feature for changing the Title of a thread no longer working?:eek:....I tried the " Go advanced" feature

and it won't even work.......I meant to type that BIG in all caps.......

Hello Lois R,

of course I recommend another river cruise. I do not want to dampen your spirits here but the date is a tricky one: March! A bit on the cold side and only the beginning of European itineraries you might have a little difficulty finding the right one. But then again, there might be an inaugural sailing of a new ship... Or head out to Asia...

I hope you find the right ship for the big occasion. Have fun planning.

notamermaid

If I have to go in April I will do that.......it would be a belated birthday cruise:D...when I did the first one it was a year ago

THIS WEEK:D..........where has the time gone?:eek:

Lois, Absolutely go! We just completed our 4th river cruise, the second in the month of March. The weather was perfect. Sunny and 65-75 every day.

This year, we did the Rhine. Last year, the Danube, and the year prior, the Seine. They all have a "favorite" part, but for pure scenery, we'd pick the Danube.

This year's trip is our overall favorite, for the ship, the food, the crew, and the new friends we've made. It's so easy on a river cruise to meet new people. (And it was my 50th:-) )

Robin

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for all the replies:)......I wish there was a River Cruise to the British Isles......does anyone know if that is done?

I know in London there is the Thames.......and of course they have River Cruises on the Seine.....but are there any River

cruises in the Scotland/Ireland/England area of the world? .

The Queen's birthday is at a bad time weather-wise, like yours -- and she has always celebrated it later when the weather was likely to be better. If it's good enough for the Queen ... it should work for you too!

[PS - I fixed the title for you.]

The Queen's birthday is at a bad time weather-wise, like yours -- and she has always celebrated it later when the weather was likely to be better. If it's good enough for the Queen ... it should work for you too!

[PS - I fixed the title for you.]

Hi Jazz, thanks:D...LOL.....PLEASE....lol.......I am sure it will work....... looks like most March river cruises start at the

end of March and that is the time of the month I cannot sail:rolleyes:......so should I decide on a River Cruise it will be April or

May.

The only river cruises I've found were barge cruises on the Thames. Not the same as River Cruises. We finally decided to do an independent land tour using London as our base and then taking tours to the countryside from London. There are a few itineraries leaving Southampton around the British Isles on a couple of the big ships.

The only river cruises I've found were barge cruises on the Thames. Not the same as River Cruises. We finally decided to do an independent land tour using London as our base and then taking tours to the countryside from London. There are a few itineraries leaving Southampton around the British Isles on a couple of the big ships.

Thanks:)...I know many of the "big ships" have British Isles itineraries.....I just have to decide what I really want to do.

Lois, Absolutely go! We just completed our 4th river cruise, the second in the month of March. The weather was perfect. Sunny and 65-75 every day.

This year, we did the Rhine. Last year, the Danube, and the year prior, the Seine. They all have a "favorite" part, but for pure scenery, we'd pick the Danube.

This year's trip is our overall favorite, for the ship, the food, the crew, and the new friends we've made. It's so easy on a river cruise to meet new people. (And it was my 50th:-) )

Robin

Hi Robin, you were on Uniworld, correct? How did you like them? Is your next cruise with them too?

Daisi, I see you are going on Avalon. Have you sailed them before?

Lois R, we are taking a Grand Circle British Isles trip in July. The ship, Corinthian, only has 90 people and gets right into most ports in or very near town. It is very similar to river cruising. This will be our third time on this ship.

Hi Robin, you were on Uniworld, correct? How did you like them? Is your next cruise with them too?

Lois,

We have done Uniworld 3 times, including the one a couple of weeks ago, on the SS Antoinette. Last year, we were on Avalon, and didn't care for it nearly as much.

Next year, we are switching things up, and doing a Viking Ocean cruise around Italy.

Robin

Hi Lois,

This might be what you are looking for:

Rhine & Rhône Revealed – Northbound 2018

16 Day River Cruise from Côte d’Azur to Amsterdam

http://www.avalonwaterways.com/river-cruise/rhine-rhone-revealed-northbound/wla/?nextyear=true

Happy B'day

Ira

Thanks........I appreciate that link and will look at Avalon but that is not a cruise I was looking to do.....a bit too long

(I still work:rolleyes:)........and for a 16 night cruise, it would almost total 3 weeks away.......pre-cruise, post, etc.......

Thanks........I appreciate that link and will look at Avalon but that is not a cruise I was looking to do.....a bit too long

(I still work:rolleyes:)........and for a 16 night cruise, it would almost total 3 weeks away.......pre-cruise, post, etc.......

Ah, work -- the curse of the drinking class! :D

Hello Lois,

river cruising in the UK does not really work like it does in Europe as the rivers do not lend themselves to it. The Thames, yes, sort of, but the rest are mostly canals (and a few river sections), i.e. on smaller boats, sometimes even just the narrowboats, designed, I think, just for a family. Here is a company in Scotland that might be interesting for you: http://www.caledonian-discovery.co.uk/

I read somewhere that wherever you stand in the UK, you are never further than 150 miles from the sea. Not sure if it is true, have not tested it.

notamermaid

Here is an English barge cruise that I noticed a while back and filed away for future reference:

http://www.magna-carta.co.uk/itineries/classic-england-cruise/

They sail all year 'round [probably on the Flanders & Swann idea that English weather is equally bad in every month].

There is also the Lord of the Glens, a small ship that sails rivers and canals across Scotland. I believe that different sailings are run by different lines, but the ones I know of are through National Geographic/Lindblad [June-August only]:

http://www.nationalgeographicexpeditions.com/expeditions/scotland-cruise/detail