Labadee - Quiet - Amiga Island?

SeaStar86

judging by those photos and the instagram pictures, i think my mind is made up!

You won't regret it. Actually we ended up choosing Amiga at the last minute as Malfini cancelled on us at the last minute, with less than 24 hours notice. We literally came back from our Jamaica excursion to find a note on our bed that Malfini cancelled on us. We were so angry at the time, but so happy with what we ended up getting at Amiga island that it more than made up for it.

You won't regret it. Actually we ended up choosing Amiga at the last minute as Malfini cancelled on us at the last minute, with less than 24 hours notice. We literally came back from our Jamaica excursion to find a note on our bed that Malfini cancelled on us. We were so angry at the time, but so happy with what we ended up getting at Amiga island that it more than made up for it.

Was your Malfini excursion cancelled due to weather???

No, it was a beautiful day as you can see from the pictures I posted. Apparently they didn't have enough people. Another couple we ended up on the Amiga island tour had the same thing happen to them.

Oh Man! I got the impression when I booked this excursion a few weeks ago that we were the only ones currently booked although the CM would not confirm that........I dearly hope we don't get cancelled!:eek:

Oh Man! I got the impression when I booked this excursion a few weeks ago that we were the only ones currently booked although the CM would not confirm that........I dearly hope we don't get cancelled!:eek:

it seems relatively new so that would be a concern for me as well! i always hope for less people, but at least enough to get us there!

it seems relatively new so that would be a concern for me as well! i always hope for less people, but at least enough to get us there!

I agree! I will try to convince the other family travelling with us to sign up. I think I will mention it on our roll call site too.

I read that the island is surrounded by coral reefs and we do plan to snorkel. Would you recommend water shoes?

Our excursion is from 10-1 and we will be missing out on the buffet at Labadee (confirmed this with RCCL). I would recommend taking the later option so you can grab lunch first. But, I have not been yet, so that is just my uninformed opinion.:D

We just got back from a visit to Amiga Island, and I can honestly say it was complete paradise. The crew is friendly and accommodating, and they provide as much or as little attention as you want. The island is breathtaking; white sand beach surrounded by crystal clear blue water, and reefs. Bring your own snorkel gear; the main guide eagerly took those of us who had gear out, and showed us sea urchins, artificial reefs, sunken cannons and sea life. There are many types of coral and tropical fish to be seen just off shore. If you want to relax you can float away on a floating mat, relax in a hammock or lounge chair or sun on the provided reed mats. Walking around the island you'll find conch shells and crabs. Note it is a cash bar except for the welcome cocktail, but the experience was so relaxing and beautiful, it is a small price to pay. There is a washroom on the island. I would hands down recommend it to anyone, we were all sad when it was time to leave.

Can we rent snore gear on labadee before leaving?

We ordered mask sets from Amazon and are bringing with us.

http://www.amazon.com/Seavenger-Adult-Snorkel-Combo-Yellow/dp/B00VEZEVLY?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A25HY0DCUX4AC0

I will let you know how they work out when we return at the end of April. 14 days until we are on Amiga Island!:D

• 2 weeks later...
The island is only a 15 minute boat ride from the ship, so you really get the full three hours on the island to relax.

Here are a few photos to give you an idea:

[ATTACH]380963[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]380964[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]380967[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]380966[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]380965[/ATTACH]

Thanks for sharing the pics. It looks beautiful, almost like a motu in Tahiti.

We're beach slugs and not crazy about crowds. DH is excited about the snorkeling so we went ahead and booked it.

May I ask what kind of boat takes you there?

I would love to go to Amiga but the Allure is not offering this excursion. It shows it on the list but it is greyed out so it is either not offered at all or booked. Does anyone know if you can request a boat ride over there once on Labadee or does it have to be arranged through the ship excursion? Thanks!

We were there on Wed and it was fabulous! Will post pics when I get home. There was a family on the island that was not with our group, but IDK how they got there. Our excursion was fully booked with 30-35 folks.

We were there on Wed and it was fabulous! Will post pics when I get home. There was a family on the island that was not with our group, but IDK how they got there. Our excursion was fully booked with 30-35 folks.

Thanks disneynan!! Can't wait to see your pics! Let me know how you liked the AM excursion and whether you made it back for the bbq.

Our time was changed to 8:30-11:30. We only found out about the change on the ship. Our excursion paperwork was in our cabin when we arrived. So we were able to have the bbq no problem. I will say the food on the ship was much better though.

Our time was changed to 8:30-11:30. We only found out about the change on the ship. Our excursion paperwork was in our cabin when we arrived. So we were able to have the bbq no problem. I will say the food on the ship was much better though.

can't wait to see your pics! i think i'm really looking forward to this one.

We took the boat shown from the dock at Labbadee; was about 20min out. They played 80s hits set to reggae. We did have to wade onto shore which was fine for us, but might be difficult if you have mobility issues. The water was cooler than expected, but not as bad as the Atlantic we usually swim in LOL. The sand was so soft and the water so clear and beautiful blue. There were about 35 of us on the excursion. There was one other family on the island not from our excursion. At one point, several men came in boats and took out the boats that were on the island when we arrived. They had hammocks and adirondak chairs. Bathroom was a pit toilet. We walked all around the island, such a beautiful, continuous beach. Lots of shells and sand dollars to be found. Everyone got a complimentary rum punch or fruit punch. The only negative aspect was that we had 2 hours on the island......didn't feel like enough time! They were building a pavilion, so I don't think it is going to remain as untouched as it is now. I would highly recommend this excursion.

Thanks Disneynan for providing your thoughts on Amiga Island. Looks like you had a beautiful day. Would you say the beach there was better than the beaches on Labadee? I love Labadee but have always found that the sand was not the best nor the water visibility as clear as I have seen at other islands such as Grand Cayman.

Thanks Disneynan for providing your thoughts on Amiga Island. Looks like you had a beautiful day. Would you say the beach there was better than the beaches on Labadee? I love Labadee but have always found that the sand was not the best nor the water visibility as clear as I have seen at other islands such as Grand Cayman.

Yes, the beach at Amiga was 100% better than Labadee. After the excursion, DD and I went over to the beach at Labadee (we were at the one with the zipline). We tried to go in the water, but it was so murky, with small and large rocks, seaweed and a huge piece of burlap that we got grossed out. I got the feeling that it was a man-made beach.

The beach around Amiga was what you would hope to see in the Caribbean - crystal clear water and fine, soft white sand. There were some rocks in the water, but they were large and you could avoid them. The beach was also littered with sand dollars and shells. There was a sitting area with palm trees with the chairs and hammocks near the bar and pit toilet. There were also woven mats you could use if you wanted to lay on the beach.

We brought some inflatable pool floaties ($2 from Walmart) with us that the kids blew up when we got there, they really enjoyed floating around in the water.

There were no small children with our group. My children, ages 15 and 17 were the youngest ones present. There was another family on the island that day with younger children, but they were not with our group; and they stayed on the far side away from the chairs and bar area. I don't think there was an age limit. We were all given a rum punch when we arrived, my kids were given fruit punch. It was interesting to be drinking rum punch at 9:30 am.:D

Do you think it would be okay if we did this excursion with our 13, 10, 8 year olds or too young? I know it says kids and adults welcome but didn't know if couples escape and go on this excursion to get away. It looks gorgeous there and we would love to do it! The drink sounds amazing right now, ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app