Can’t believe I didn’t

gamecockinnc

I get horribly motion sick myself - so much so that I can get sick in the car when I'm driving, depending on certain factors. On cruises, I use the patch and have never had more than a brief, mild motion sick feeling during rougher seas that passed quickly after a few moments. I also have not noticed much difference between cabins at the end of the ship versus the middle. Those patches are awesome.... until I'm back home and take them off. Then I get horribly land sick and have to take Dramamine for another day or so until the effects wear off.

However, one poster mentioned cutting the patches in half. I'm not sure why someone would do that as they explicitly state not to cut them. I imagine cutting them would lead to the medicine "leaking out" of the cut side and could cause major differences in how the skin absorbs the medicine (i.e. too much as it leaks out, then too little as it dries out too soon.) Maybe someone with more medical/pharmaceutical knowledge could explain why its okay, or not okay to do that.

Another vote for Meclizine. There are slight variations on the market, but I prefer the pink, chewable kind, 25mg. I take one in the morning on our travel day, one that night at the hotel, then another in the morning before boarding. If the seas are smooth, then I just take one per day after that. I can always take a second if the swells are higher one day. I try not to sail on an empty stomach (not a problem on a cruise, I know!) which ironically can lead to worse stomach upset.

I am so mad at myself and to be honest peeved at my TA. We cruise a lot. And being platinum on CCL I cannot believe I was so stupid! I do a lot of my own research to select the cruise then have the TA I’ve used for 13 years book the cruise and give me cabin options. He knows our preferences. Balcony and not below a large public area. He also knows when we sail with our sons (19, 16 and almost 7) our middle son is very prone to sea sickness! And we prefer connecting cabins when we sail with our 3 sons.

We are cruising on the Magic over Christmas. When we booked I was distracted with 2 medical situations. My mother and my son but I trust our TA.

A few months later I finally could breathe and started getting caught up and looked up the cabins and was upset to see we are in 7210 and 7214 (they are connecting).

But they are the most forward cabins on deck 7! And I found a website that stated that cabin 7214 baloconnects to cabin 7218? Which isn’t even it’s connecting cabin! Cabin 7210 is. One benefit of booking a connecting cabin for a family of 5 is the additional space inside and out on the balconies.

My sister and I went on this exact cruise on November 11th and we were on deck 10 forward (10216 which btw is a great cabin). The first night was pretty rough and I never feel the motion. During the cruise I had the opportunity to speak to the family staying in cabins 7210 and 7214. I noticed their son had on a sea sickness ear patch but they said he/they were still impacted by the motion.

And cabin 7210 has a walkway overhead the balcony.

So I am venting!

I am mad at myself for not catching my TA’s goof up!

I am peeved that I asked him for over 4 months to try to change it and he didn’t. I was open to a suite and balcony. Suite and inside. And the cabins being separated. I kept checking the website but the ship was full.

I am peeved about the overhang and the balcony partition not opening.

BUT I AM MOST worried about our middle sons sea sickness. I haven’t said anything to him and won’t because I don’t want to introduce a mental element to his nausea.

He has an appointment with his PCP to get a prescription for ear patches. And I have plenty of Dramamine.

I’ve heard Ginger helps but does anyone have any recommendations for using Ginger?

And I own my part! I should know better and messed up big time. The ship is sold out online. I think I ruined our Christmas cruise!

Sorry to be so negative.

Any advice other than triple check any TA in the future and we should probably use a CCL vacation planner in the future.

And any advice to deal with sea sicknesses?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just can't imagine Fred MacMurray complaining about any of this.

You will find that connecting cabins (interior connecting door) will never have balcony connection capability except on Spirit class. With the doors near the same wall as the connecting door, if the partition is opened, it blocks one of the doors to the balcony. Spirit class partitions open toward the railing, and are clipped to the railing allowing the open passage to the next cabin, but clocking the view of one of the cabins. EM

You will find that connecting cabins (interior connecting door) will never have balcony connection capability except on Spirit class. With the doors near the same wall as the connecting door, if the partition is opened, it blocks one of the doors to the balcony. Spirit class partitions open toward the railing, and are clipped to the railing allowing the open passage to the next cabin, but clocking the view of one of the cabins. EM

The Magic is the Dream Class. And we have sailed her before. The latest was last month. Same as the Breeze (Dream class) which we have sailed a lot and the connecting cabin balconies have the ability to open the partition.

Unless I am misreading your post.

I just can't imagine Fred MacMurray complaining about any of this.

Of course not. Because all I am doing is complaining and not taking ownership of my part in the situation right? Incorrect.

And asking about advice for my sons sea sicknesses is such a whiner move.......[emoji848]

I'm curious which walkway you're referring to. Above 7210 is the bridge and more balcony cabins...

I was on the November 11th Magic sailing in cabin 10216 (great cabin btw). Being on deck 10 forward and only a few cabins back I was able to get a good view of the walkway and even took pictures and sent them to my TA while at sea. The walkway is a white metal walkway that extends from the bridge over cabin 7210 and a bit of 7214.

And as I have said. I was going through a lot with two medical situations with our eldest son and my mother. BUT I am a very experienced cruiser and OWN my part. And I even titled my post to say “I can’t believe I didn’t .”

Meaning, I can’t believe I didn’t check my TA (trusted or not), do research etc.

I will take pictures of the cabin. The walkway over the balcony and write a review so others can make an informed decision.

After an extremely rough year as we all do I just wanted this extra special cruise to go as well as possible. Life will always throw curve balls. Trust me, I feel like a professional catcher sometimes.

But at the end of the day I would rather be sailing than not. And my family will be together.

Edited by gamecockinnc

I bought Seabands. Does anyone have any experience with Seabands?

I will buy Ginger. I was curious if the pill form, candies or gum are the best?

And yes I have reached out to my TA again and his response was he can’t do anything.

But I should have caught the error. I have a lot and know better! I should have looked! Really looked! Not just left it. Yes, I had urgent distractions and yes I have been trying to have it changed for a few months but I wasn’t vocal enough with him about it. And before final payment we should have considered changing to another ship.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda.......

Mind over matter. We can go. It will be ok. Hard lesson learned and time for a new TA too.

Edited by gamecockinnc

I bought Seabands. Does anyone have any experience with Seabands?

I will buy Ginger. I was curious if the pill form, candies or gum are the best?

And yes I have reached out to my TA again and his response was he can’t do anything.

But I should have caught the error. I have a lot and know better! I should have looked! Really looked! Not just left it. Yes, I had urgent distractions and yes I have been trying to have it changed for a few months but I wasn’t vocal enough with him about it. And before final payment we should have considered changing to another ship.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda.......

Mind over matter. We can go. It will be ok. Hard lesson learned and time for a new TA too.

Yes one in our party used SeaBands when she got so sea sick staying in a very aft cabin - 2473 on Glory to be exact. My mom even said her eyelashes were white. She takes medicine and wasn’t sure if Dramamine would interact with it so we figured we would try them. As soon as she put them on, she was better. No more nausea or vomiting and was fine just like the rest of us. Now she only stays midship. Couldn’t handle the motion or vibration of the aft cabin.

I used to use the patch, but, for me, it had too many side affects. My vision was distorted and I felt I were dying of thirst. I switched to generic Bonine, which I can get at Walmart really cheap. I start taking it the night before the cruise and take one every night until I decide I no longer need it.

If I have stopped the Bonine, and feel a bit nauseous, I also have ginger mints that I get at Trader Joe's. I just use one and the nausea is gone, but I do follow up with a Bonine. I have not gotten seasick in years using these two even when cruising with high swells.

Ginger pills and Motioneaze oil worked for us on the rockiest of cruises. We avoid patches, Dramamine and Bonine because they are contraindicated with alcohol and we like to enjoy 2-3 drinks per day. The patches gave us HORRIBLE side effects so we take the natural route now. It works great!

I have been reading about the patch for the last few days and am very concerned about the side effects. Our middle son is 16.5 years old (5’11”/166 lbs).

He plays competitive baseball so the strongest medicine he takes is Motrin. Dramamine knocks him out.

I ordered the Seabands and am buying the ginger.

I have regular and non drowsy Dramamine.

If I give him the ginger pill should he start the night before we sail or the morning?

Conflicted on whether to use the patch or not. At his PCP appointment we will discuss it with his doctor.

The Magic is the Dream Class. And we have sailed her before. The latest was last month. Same as the Breeze (Dream class) which we have sailed a lot and the connecting cabin balconies have the ability to open the partition.

Unless I am misreading your post.

Have you ever actually sailed on a Dream class ship in 2 connecting cabins AND had the balcony partition open or were you just in one cabin and noticed that the partition was capable of opening but was not actually opened? I ask because I believe that most balcony partitions CAN be opened but like Essiesmom said, they will block the door to one of the cabins if opened to the wrong cabin but they can still be opened for cleaning and other maintenance purposes.

I was on the November 11th Magic sailing in cabin 10216 (great cabin btw). Being on deck 10 forward and only a few cabins back I was able to get a good view of the walkway and even took pictures and sent them to my TA while at sea. The walkway is a white metal walkway that extends from the bridge over cabin 7210 and a bit of 7214.

Unless you think it will hinder the view from your balcony, this seems like a non-issue. It does not seem to be an area accessible by passengers. I'm guessing it is for crew to have access for window washing.

Yes on the Breeze three times. It made a long balcony for all of us.

You can always ask your cabin steward if they will open it for you. Like I said, I don't think it's a matter of them not being capable of opening, I think it's that they are not supposed to open them because the partition will block the door of one of the cabins. You can always ask and see what they say. However, there are always a fe w exceptions where balcony partitions cannot be opened because they physically won't open (like when the partition is actually a permanent fixture like steel) but I doubt that is the case for the balconies you booked.

Quite possibly, there was a problem with connecting rooms when you booked and this might have been the best available. No way to know now but at least you have the connecting door.

As for the motion sickness, Dramamine does nothing for me--it is too much like Benadryl. I have to take Bonine, which is prescription Meclizine, and I do pretty well with it. My doc won't prescribe the scopolamine patches for various reasons. So pick up some Bonine and see if that helps. GinGin candies also soothe my stomach as well.

Its a holiday cruise and you're going to have a great time.

Re Ginger.. I don't suffer seasickness so have never tried this, however a friend of mine swears by it!

She cuts a small piece of natural root ginger and puts it in her belly button and covers it with a bandaid .. I know it sounds bizarre but she swears it works :)

Quite possibly, there was a problem with connecting rooms when you booked and this might have been the best available. No way to know now but at least you have the connecting door.

As for the motion sickness, Dramamine does nothing for me--it is too much like Benadryl. I have to take Bonine, which is prescription Meclizine, and I do pretty well with it. My doc won't prescribe the scopolamine patches for various reasons. So pick up some Bonine and see if that helps. GinGin candies also soothe my stomach as well.

Its a holiday cruise and you're going to have a great time.

I will buy Bonine for sure. Thank you! And happy holidays !

You can always ask your cabin steward if they will open it for you. Like I said, I don't think it's a matter of them not being capable of opening, I think it's that they are not supposed to open them because the partition will block the door of one of the cabins. You can always ask and see what they say. However, there are always a fe w exceptions where balcony partitions cannot be opened because they physically won't open (like when the partition is actually a permanent fixture like steel) but I doubt that is the case for the balconies you booked.

May be the case. Your correct having the connecting doors is a benefit for a family of 5. Especially since our eldest two sons are 16 and 19 and the size of grown men. Then we have our late in life gift who is 6 (turning 7 very soon).

I will definitely take pictures and write a review for future cruisers.

We will make the best of it. And it is a Christmas sailing. We were pleasantly surprised how well CCL decorated the Breeze and had Santa appear in the main atrium on our last CCL Christmas cruise.

Happy holidays.

Re Ginger.. I don't suffer seasickness so have never tried this, however a friend of mine swears by it!

She cuts a small piece of natural root ginger and puts it in her belly button and covers it with a bandaid .. I know it sounds bizarre but she swears it works :)

That is an interesting method for sure. 🤣❤️