Bringing alcohol on board from port visit

Becstar101

apologies if this is has an obvious answer.

I'm aware that there is a single bottle limit of wine/champagne per passenger on embarkation, but I was wondering if the same applies to alcohol purchased in port. We will be visiting a port where we are hoping to visit a boutique distillery and purchase some whisky and gin as souvenirs. Is there an issue bringing these items back on board?

Thanks in advance.

Officially the answer is that you're not allowed to bring it to your room.

You're supposed to check it in at the alcohol collection desk set up in the embarkation area.

BUT

the actuality of the system is that many people simple walk by the desk & bring it to their room.

I prefer my own cabin for safekeeping.

Officially the answer is that you're not allowed to bring it to your room.

You're supposed to check it in at the alcohol collection desk set up in the embarkation area.

BUT

the actuality of the system is that many people simple walk by the desk & bring it to their room.

I prefer my own cabin for safekeeping.

To Princess Cruises: I highlighted it in red in case you missed it the first time. Seems like it's time to step up security and remind the staff to be more alert since passengers are outright bragging about circumvention.

It's exactly these posts --I think, based upon my personal conversations with them-- why some Carnival Corporation executives loathe Cruise Critic, and why they can refer to Cruise Critic sometimes as a cesspool of smugglers and cheats who promote the circumvention of cruise line policy.

The OP asked a legitimate question and the answer according to policy is that passengers are permitted to bring spirits that purchase in ports of call, then declare them to be held in safekeeping until the last night of the cruise.

To Princess Cruises: I highlighted it in red in case you missed it the first time. Seems like it's time to step up security and remind the staff to be more alert since passengers are outright bragging about circumvention.

Yes Princess, myself and many others don't care for you collection services when returning to the ship at distant ports but do appreciate your lack of enforcement.

To the OP- Princess will collect you liquor purchases & hold them for you until the last night on board the ship.

I for one store my purchases in my own cabin for safekeeping rather then trust it to your crew for storage & distribution.

I make my future purchases at lower cost ports & when returning on subsequent cruises, smuggle it back for my enjoyment.

Yes Princess, myself and many others don't care for you collection services when returning to the ship at distant ports but do appreciate your lack of enforcement.

To the OP- Princess will collect you liquor purchases & hold them for you until the last night on board the ship.

I for one store my purchases in my own cabin for safekeeping rather then trust it to your crew for storage & distribution.

I make my future purchases at lower cost ports & when returning on subsequent cruises, smuggle it back for my enjoyment.

:confused: :D :cocktail: :tropical-drink: :')

In reality it depends on the port and ship - I have had multiple bottles of wine (4-5) purchased and wineries in different ports and there is rarely an "alcohol" table set up. I put the wine through the x-ray machine and if no one says anything and there is no designated table I just take it back and store it in my cabin. I always have the beverage package so no need to smuggle and hard liquor.

In reality it depends on the port and ship - I have had multiple bottles of wine (4-5) purchased and wineries in different ports and there is rarely an "alcohol" table set up. I put the wine through the x-ray machine and if no one says anything and there is no designated table I just take it back and store it in my cabin. I always have the beverage package so no need to smuggle and hard liquor.

Alcohol is not wine, even though wine is a type of alcohol. Different treatment. But I would do the same - they can collect corkage at the DR.

Whether they collect it or not also depends on your Captain Circle status. Black cards got to keep their alcohol when returning from port on our British Isles cruise.

This ought to be rubbish. There is no such policy and if it was being handled as such, it is just plain wrong.

It's exactly these posts --I think, based upon my personal conversations with them-- why some Carnival Corporation executives loathe Cruise Critic, and why they can refer to Cruise Critic sometimes as a cesspool of smugglers and cheats who promote the circumvention of cruise line policy.

The OP asked a legitimate question and the answer according to policy is that passengers are permitted to bring spirits that purchase in ports of call, then declare them to be held in safekeeping until the last night of the cruise.

How do you know some Carnival executives loath Cruise Critic? I don't care what Carnival executives think about Cruise Critic. Not my problem.

The answer given was a legitimate answer. They want you to turn in the bottles but you can walk by the table and probably won't be stopped from taking the bottles up to the cabin.

/interestsing, I have read on CC that a guest on a VBE is allowed to bring on a bottle of wine, Yet when I asked (today) I was told no wine, no balloons, nothing may be brought on the ship???? Is the Princess Rep correct or is the CC poster correct.??? I would like to know if anyone has experienced this as we depart on Feb 4.

Odd thing to say, such as what. The post about status and alcohol is completely incorrect

I know it doesn't sound correct for the Caribbean ports but since I've never been to the UK I'd have to believe what he posted.

It could could have been that an Elite walked by the check in desk as a lot of people do & made a comment to other passengers, "we're Elite & it doesn't apply to us". :D:D

Who knows?

/interestsing, I have read on CC that a guest on a VBE is allowed to bring on a bottle of wine, Yet when I asked (today) I was told no wine, no balloons, nothing may be brought on the ship???? Is the Princess Rep correct or is the CC poster correct.??? I would like to know if anyone has experienced this as we depart on Feb 4.

I recall the discussion about this. There were several posters who were adamant that their

guests had brought on wine during a BVE, THEREFORE IT WAS ALLOWED.

One even called princess (I don't know how many times it took) -- and got an answer they liked.

Of course, another poster reported calling princess and hearing: "What's a BVE?"

So, calling princess is like new england weather -- just wait a minute and it will change.

No one has ever posted a written policy.

I read no balloons, too -- but did take some on board once. The world did not end.

I read no balloons, too -- but did take some on board once. The world did not end.

Now you've piqued my interest. What's with "no balloons"?

Are you saying that you're not allowed to bring balloons aboard the ship?

I just read the previous comment about balloons- totally ridiculous.

Thanks for the replies.

If we need to hand over the alcohol we will of course do so. If it is returned on the final night of the cruise we will be getting it back 24 hours later, which seems like a fairly pointless exercise, but we will absolutely comply with the rules set.

All alcohol purchase on port of call is confiscated when returning to the cruise and will be returned last night of the sailing.

Didn't happen in my recent experience on the Royal. We often bought a small bottle of wine (Moscato which the ship had run out of) to drink on the balcony at various ports and put it on the scanner when we returned. Quite often it was in an almost clear bag and our attitude was if they take then our bad luck, but we never tried to camouflage/hide it. It was never taken.

Princess shouldn't have worried as they still got $1800 of drinks out of us.

Thanks for the replies.

If we need to hand over the alcohol we will of course do so. If it is returned on the final night of the cruise we will be getting it back 24 hours later, which seems like a fairly pointless exercise, but we will absolutely comply with the rules set.

Many times if you purchase liquor in the ship store if within a couple of days before disembarkation, they'll just let you take it to your cabin. It's just not worth their effort to deliver it since you're practically off the ship anyway.

Oh- btw, they also give a 10% Elite discount so have an Elite friend make the purchase for you. :)