Galapagos

• 3 weeks later...

anyone else out there in CC-land going to Galapagos with us?

we can't wait.....even tho i am a pathetic swimmer and hardly a waterbaby :(, i trust that won't make a huge difference in the experience...

sure hope i don't forget the rules and reach out to pat a baby seal! :eek:

(we have three days post-Galapagos in Quito...guess i better go ck that thread)

any suggestions/advice/stories will be appreciated!

susan

• 3 weeks later...
We are on the March 6th embarcation. Susan if you check back, we will be interested in your comments from Feb trip

Looking forward to this great trip!

Tyler, we are halfway through this amazing adventure (no one could ever mistake it for a CRUISE!) internet availability is rare and expensive, so if you will e-mail me your questions, i will do my best to give you our impressions.

susan murray

srmsmu73 at a o l etc

• 2 weeks later...
March 28 embarkation. Category 1 cabin. I just can't wait.

we just got back from the most amazing week on the Endeavor in the GI!!!

also Cat 1...would be happy to share info if you want to email me at srmsmu73 at a 0 l, etc.....

susan

• 2 weeks later...

All glowing details, but if you are expecting 5 star food and cabins, remember this is Adventure travel, not Regent. That said, the trip is a once in a lifetime excursion. Roughly 100 guests and enough Naturalists to make groups of 12 in each walk or snorkle trip. All embark and disembark is onto rubber Zodiacs, and can be tricky in even light seas.

This is not a trip for those in ill health or with mobility issues.

Walks are slow paced nature hikes on lava, many time slippery but with good shoes or boots accessible. There is NEVER a need to be in the first group: Amazingly the animals are never scared away. Those who come through last see as many or more as the first group. Certain groups are labled as "photograhy buffs" and are at a snail's pace. Expect to see and/or swim with playful sea lions (NOT SEALS), Blue footed and Nasca Bobbies, Iguana, penguins, Sea Turtles and local endemic birds. Do not touch the animals, but be thrilled when they approach you...and they will.

The food is good, though not excellent. All meals are at one sitting and breakfast and lunch are buffet style and dinner is seated and plated. Our favorite meal was an Equadoran Lunch with fresh Cevice as an appetizer. Vegetarian is available each evening as a selection, in addition to a meat or fish.

The wine selection is quite good and reasonably priced, most bottles in the $20 to 35 range. By the glass is $5-8. Many options by the glass, so no need to drink the house pour. Almost all Chilean if memory serves.

A few talks but not an endless lecture series. Photographers got the biggest crowds, and added a pair of technical breakouts at our request to talk about camera settings on specific models. Local dancers boarded one night for a delightful exhibition.

Cat 3 Room 209. Two of us in a room designd for 3. Sleep sofa was unsuitable for humans (I snored one night so was relegated there) Maybe a child could find a reasonable sleep position, but I could not. Most room have twin beds (as did ours) but there are a nice number of single accomodations, which I found thoughtful.

Average age was probably 60, and we had 6 teens who were well behaved and charming. You will be hit up for a donation to the local conservation group the Lindblad supports, but it is not strong armed, and is US tax deductible according to Lindblad (501-c(3)).

Plan to rise early, most days up at 6:30 or so, with some optional pre- Breakfast excursions. In bed by 9 or 930 most every night.

Questions?

tyler (nine one nine) at comcast dot net

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We just booked the Islander for March 2011. Can't wait to get out our adventuring clothes! We chose Lindblad for the superior MP extension. There is a lot of helpful info on the Celebrity Xpedition thread about packing and whatnot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Enjoyed this thread through the years. We are going on the M/V Endeavor with an International Expeditions tour. this is our 3rd trip with IE. We have already been to Machu Pichu and it is magical. We are going to 9 islands and will snorkel on all. DH really wanted this tour so I hope he has a great time -- sure we will. For those who have gone earlier. Please report back so we can "pre - enjoy".

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Galapagos islands is a good place to go and take a cruises, i have a good options in this link <a href="http://www.galapagoscruise.com.ec/galapagos-legend" title="Galapagos islands travel and cruises in Legend is luxury class cruise, ship sailing, Galapagos tours in Enchanted isles, bookings, reservations, nature trips, wildlife cruises">Galapagos Islands Travel</a>

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry, was not on the Isabella. Went with Celebrity's Xpedition. Animals you will see:

Sea lions, lots

Sally lightfoot crabs, lots

Marine iguanas, lots

Birds: bluefooted boobies, pelicans, frigate birds, sea gulls, brown noddies, flightless cormorants, herons, finches, mocking birds, yellow warblers

Giant land tortoises

land iguanas, not many

We also saw and I don't know whether it's normal or rare: sea turtles, dolphins, flamingos

Snorkelers saw fish, of course.