Tipping

FluffyFiFi

OK folks. Here's the truth. Because none of us seem to know for certain, prompted by this thread I emailed P&O customer services last week about this precise issue and have now received a reply.

I asked the following;

"My wife and I are regular cruisers with P&O (3 cruises this year) and we pay the automatic service charge, now £6 per passenger per day.

We also like to give our Cabin Steward an additional tip, but I have been told by other passengers that they are required to hand them in to P&O for the general 'pool'.

I understand that this might be the case if tips are given by passengers who have cancelled the auto service charge, but could you please answer my specific question i.e. are staff obliged to hand in additional tips given by passengers who have paid the automatic service charge? "

And this is the response I have received;

"Firstly I would like to thank you for your loyalty with us and I hope we can keep on exceeding expectations with our cruises.

In regards to tipping under no circumstances are staff obliged to hand in their tips. We understand that some staff are more guest facing than others so that is why we set up the Service Charge scheme so that the staff 'behind the scenes' still get appreciated too. However staff that do have a guest facing role and who make the impact on our cruises would never be penalised for earning more tips, they work hard and I think you will agree with me that they deserve them.

I hope this information has helped to answer your enquiry and we look forward to welcoming you on board soon."

Now admittedly, my specific question was regarding tips received over and above the auto service charge, but the reply does say that staff are not required to hand in tips under any circumstances.

So it can't be any clearer than that.

Obviously, whether to pay the auto service charge or not is a matter of individual choice for as long as P&O chooses to have a discretionary system, but hopefully this now clears up the issue regarding staff having to hand in tips. They don't!

OK folks. Here's the truth. Because none of us seem to know for certain, prompted by this thread I emailed P&O customer services last week about this precise issue and have now received a reply.

I asked the following;

"My wife and I are regular cruisers with P&O (3 cruises this year) and we pay the automatic service charge, now £6 per passenger per day.

We also like to give our Cabin Steward an additional tip, but I have been told by other passengers that they are required to hand them in to P&O for the general 'pool'.

I understand that this might be the case if tips are given by passengers who have cancelled the auto service charge, but could you please answer my specific question i.e. are staff obliged to hand in additional tips given by passengers who have paid the automatic service charge? "

"Firstly I would like to thank you for your loyalty with us and I hope we can keep on exceeding expectations with our cruises.

In regards to tipping under no circumstances are staff obliged to hand in their tips. We understand that some staff are more guest facing than others so that is why we set up the Service Charge scheme so that the staff 'behind the scenes' still get appreciated too. However staff that do have a guest facing role and who make the impact on our cruises would never be penalised for earning more tips, they work hard and I think you will agree with me that they deserve them.

I hope this information has helped to answer your enquiry and we look forward to welcoming you on board soon."

Now admittedly, my specific question was regarding tips received over and above the auto service charge, but the reply does say that staff are not required to hand in tips under any circumstances.

Obviously, whether to pay the auto service charge or not is a matter of individual choice for as long as P&O chooses to have a discretionary system, but hopefully this now clears up the issue regarding staff having to hand in tips. They don't!

Thank you for taking the time and effort and subsequently informing us all regarding the tips.

We always autopay and give extra and it is pleasing that the crew who serve us well are not penalised.

Your post is the reason i read and post myself.

Thank You.

Graham &Pauline.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

I asked the following;

Clear as mud then because in the past P&O have said that only butlers, cabin stewards and waiters/assistant waiters are rewarded from the Service Reward Scheme but now they are saying "backroom staff" are now receiving payment from Service Reward Scheme. So that has cleared nothing up as usual and a "muddy waters" response from P&O once again. If you sent the same e-mail again and you received a response from different member of staff you would probably get a different response.

I asked the following;

So logically everyone who thinks their steward or waiter has done a good job should remove all of the service charge and give the whole of that amount in cash to the steward and waiters.

That way the steward and waiters not only will you be certain they get the cash tip, but they will get double pay as they will still receive their share from the tip pool.

They will be over the moon.

Clear as mud then because in the past P&O have said that only butlers, cabin stewards and waiters/assistant waiters are rewarded from the Service Reward Scheme but now they are saying "backroom staff" are now receiving payment from Service Reward Scheme. So that has cleared nothing up as usual and a "muddy waters" response from P&O once again. If you sent the same e-mail again and you received a response from different member of staff you would probably get a different response.

Seems clear to me.

Do the right thing and prepay the tips and if anyone gives you exceptional service you can give them a cash tip and know they can keep it for themselves.

Seems clear to me.

Do the right thing and prepay the tips and if anyone gives you exceptional service you can give them a cash tip and know they can keep it for themselves.

Absolutely clear to me as well but there again we don't fall into the trouble making or moaner categories.

Seems clear to me.

Exactly as we have always done. My gripe with the auto tip is that it is not compulsory so I feel that those of us who do the right thing are subsidising those who choose to pay no tips. We had appalling service from the cabin steward on Ventura in March but I felt powerless to remove the tip from him because I felt that I would be adversely impacting other hardworking staff because the auto tip is presumably split according to a given algorithm.

Seems clear to me.

Absolutely not.

If someone has given exceptional service then don't pay the service charge but give those people the cash and the extra, so they get double paid.

Agree with your comments, P&O FAQ don't mention backroom staff so this P&O reply just adds more confusion.

From P&O FAQ.

During your time on board, you'll be looked after by lots of people - waiters, buffet staff and cabin stewards, who'll go out of their way to make each moment of your holiday special.

But, we know that rewarding good service every time it happens just isn't convenient. So, our Service Reward Programme is a simple, one-off way for you to say ‘thank you’ for all the service you receive. A discretionary daily amount of £6.00 is added to your on-board account for each guest aged 12 and over.

David.

Exactly as we have always done. My gripe with the auto tip is that it is not compulsory so I feel that those of us who do the right thing are subsidising those who choose to pay no tips. We had appalling service from the cabin steward on Ventura in March but I felt powerless to remove the tip from him because I felt that I would be adversely impacting other hardworking staff because the auto tip is presumably split according to a given algorithm.

The solution is speak to his supervisor or housekeeping manager and explain about the poor service and if it does not improve you can report both of them in your review and even email P&O if it was particularly bad.

Absolutely not.

If someone has given exceptional service then don't pay the service charge but give those people the cash and the extra, so they get double paid.

No it is not a fair way and might lead to the service charge being made compulsory.

If you prepay and don't give any extra would be better than what you suggest.

No it is not a fair way and might lead to the service charge being made compulsory.

If you prepay and don't give any extra would be better than what you suggest.

Of course it isn't fair, but the whole system isn't fair if what is being asserted is correct (i.e. cash tips don't have to be handled over when the service charge is not paid).

So if the system isn't fair then would you not want the staff member who provided excellent service to be properly rewarded and not suffer the vaguries of the unfair system?

I would be delighted if the service charge was included in the fare (the only way UK consumer law would allow it to be compulsory).

Of course it isn't fair, but the whole system isn't fair if what is being asserted is correct (i.e. cash tips don't have to be handled over when the service charge is not paid).

So if the system isn't fair then would you not want the staff member who provided excellent service to be properly rewarded and not suffer the vaguries of the unfair system?

I would be delighted if the service charge was included in the fare (the only way UK consumer law would allow it to be compulsory).

The prices have already gone up this year so maybe P&O are getting both the auto tips and higher cruise price.

I simply leave the auto-tipping facility on and tip extra if I feel this is appropriate. This may mean just £5 in an envelope for waiters last day. This is true even if the service has been so so. It is an excellent way to do things because there is no stress for me, I do not feel uncomfortable last day in MDR and staff probably get to know I have not tried to cancel. It means the tips are part of the fare in my case and what other passengers do is not my concern. If anyone on my table for example asks what I do I tell them but am not interested in what they do, but do recommend they follow my system as it's very easy and you just forget about after it's set in motion.

Regards John

I don't totally agree with you. There is no "right thing"? There are obviously three groups. Those who leave the auto-tips on, those that take them off and pay in cash and those that do not pay at all. I would imagine that the latter would be a very small minority. So who says what the "right thing" is. Our choice is to remove the tips and pay the correct amount in cash to the cabin steward and our waiters. That's what we did before autotips came in and that is what we continue to choose to do.

I don't totally agree with you. There is no "right thing"? There are obviously three groups. Those who leave the auto-tips on, those that take them off and pay in cash and those that do not pay at all. I would imagine that the latter would be a very small minority. So who says what the "right thing" is. Our choice is to remove the tips and pay the correct amount in cash to the cabin steward and our waiters. That's what we did before autotips came in and that is what we continue to choose to do.

And us

:D

The only thing I would add is that some may pay auto-tips and also extra cash tips.

However I agree with your point and no amount of discussing or arguing will change anyone's point of view as to what they will do.

:D

The only thing I would add is that some may pay auto-tips and also extra cash tips.

However I agree with your point and no amount of discussing or arguing will change anyone's point of view as to what they will do.

I agree as well - and am in the 4th category that you describe. We opt for Freedom Dining so tipping different waiters and assistant waiters every single meal (in a cash free environment) just isn't practicable and I suspect that the number of people that actually do this on each cruise can be counted on less than the fingers of one hand.

So who says what the "right thing" is. Our choice is to remove the tips and pay the correct amount in cash to the cabin steward and our waiters. That's what we did before autotips came in and that is what we continue to choose to do.

An interesting choice, but given the assertions being made this would result in the staff serving you being double paid (cash and share of the tip pool), meanwhile the other staff get less as the tip pool is reduced.

Is that fair?

An interesting choice, but given the assertions being made this would result in the staff serving you being double paid (cash and share of the tip pool), meanwhile the other staff get less as the tip pool is reduced.

Is that fair?

Like I say, people decide what they want to do with their hard earned cash and really it has nothing to do with what you may think is fair.

Like I say, people decide what they want to do with their hard earned cash and really it has nothing to do with what you may think is fair.

It just seems odd for someone to take steps that would result in some staff receiving double their pay whilst others go short because of that.

Fair enough wanting to reward staff you have dealt with, but depriving the others?