Is FTTF worth it??

bobjer17

Hi we are considering another Carnival Cruise for January. My two previous Carnival cruises we didn't get FTTF as I felt embarkation lines moved quickly enough that we didn't need it. I know FTTF is more than just getting on the ship faster but is it worth the money?

Hi we are considering another Carnival Cruise for January. My two previous Carnival cruises we didn't get FTTF as I felt embarkation lines moved quickly enough that we didn't need it. I know FTTF is more than just getting on the ship faster but is it worth the money?

Depends. Do you want to pay Carnival for items that are free? If so, and you want to gain an extra 15 minutes than it is worth it. For me, I think people give Carnival enough money, and paying for free items is just silly.

Does your cruise have tender stops where you want to get off the ship asap for a private excursion? Would having the priority line at guest services help you? Only you can answer your questions.

Some swear by it, say it's great for them. Others say they wouldn't waste the money. It's a personal choice. No one has the right to enforce their personal opinion on you, one way or the other. You decide after hearing the pros and cons.

Depends. Do you want to pay Carnival for items that are free? If so, and you want to gain an extra 15 minutes than it is worth it. For me, I think people give Carnival enough money, and paying for free items is just silly.
That is kind of my thoughts about it. Thanks!

My favorite part of FTTF is the ability to debark early and relatively quickly. This is because we usually drive home from the port (12-19hrs) and want to get straight home. I can be very patient when it comes to starting my vacay, but I lack patience for sitting around waiting, when I really need to be on my way.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

We had it on our last cruise and we liked getting on early, not having to drag our bags around with us and I did have to go to the help desk once, so that was great not having to wait on line.

Is it essential? No, but there are a lot of optional expenses on cruises. This is what makes cruising so great, you can do it cheaply by getting an inside cabin, not buying drinks, pictures, etc or you can spend a little more for things that you value.

We have had FTTF twice. Last time we had two in our party we requested wheelchairs for. We bypassed the long line outside the terminal. However were last in the terminal to board (12:30) as we waited for wheelchairs to return for them. Bypassing line at guest services and priority tender is very good too. Also luggage early is nice. We like having it.

We have always purchased when able to get it, and booked it already for our cruise in August 2018. I almost always have to go to guest services for something or other and it's really nice not having to wait in line. We have young kids so being able to drop our carry ons off at the room and have access to the room immediately is very nice. That combined with priority debarkation makes it worth it for us. We always stay the night before in a hotel, and like to check out early and get to the port and on the boat as quickly as possible. I like to get our vacation started!

I've cruised twice, 1 time I had it and the other I didn't. My upcoming cruise I do have it. I like it for the tender ports. It's all just a matter of ones opinion. I don't drink much, so I'm not spending money on that.

As of now, I like paying for the FTTF since I don't drink alcohol. I feel that Carnival is losing money on me everytime that I cruise, so I try to make up for lost costs. Soon I will not have to pay for the FTTF since I am almost a Platinum member and when that happens, I will have to double everyones tip onboard to keep the cash flowing. Consider myself a loyal guest. 😀

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Forums mobile app

We have always purchased when able to get it, and booked it already for our cruise in August 2018. I almost always have to go to guest services for something or other and it's really nice not having to wait in line. We have young kids so being able to drop our carry ons off at the room and have access to the room immediately is very nice. That combined with priority debarkation makes it worth it for us. We always stay the night before in a hotel, and like to check out early and get to the port and on the boat as quickly as possible. I like to get our vacation started!
We generally do a pre-cruise hotel stay and like to get on the ship as early as possible as well. Enjoy your cruise!

It's all subjective and you will find a huge range of opinions on the matter. If you use the search function and search for "FTTF worth it," you'll find a ton of posts about it (or even google it).

Review the benefits of FTTF and determine if they are worth it for you. For us, it's worth every penny just be able to access our stateroom early.

Priority Security, Check-in and Boarding

A dedicated security and check-in lane has been set aside for all Priority guests on embarkation day. FTTF guests will board after VIFP Diamond, Platinum and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations.

Note: Only Diamond, Platinum and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations have access to the Captain’s Lounge.

First Access to Stateroom

Your stateroom will be ready for you as soon as you board, so you can relax or freshen up for all the fun you are about to have.

Note: This is also a benefit for VIFP Diamond and Platinum guests.

Priority Luggage

While we process thousands of bags, FTTF luggage will receive priority delivery.

Guest Services

Quickly have any of your questions answered or requests addressed as you will have a dedicated phone extension and line at Guest Services.

Dining Reservations

Priority Dinner Time Assignment: FTTF guests will be cleared after VIFP Platinum guests. This benefit does not include specific time reservations for 'Your Time Dining'.

Note: VIFP Diamond guests and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations are guaranteed their dining in the Main Dining Room.

Tender Priority

You will have priority tender service from ship to shore (multiple departure times may be possible) so you can explore ashore as quickly as you want to. When ready to go ashore, if not on a Carnival shore excursion, present yourself at the Guest Services Desk.

Note: This is also a benefit for VIFP Diamond and Platinum guests and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations.

Debarkation Choices

When it’s time to say good bye, you may choose an early or late disembarkation time upon arrival to your homeport.

Note: This is also a benefit for VIFP Diamond and Platinum guests and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations.

I have done it both ways. I don't think its worth it for me though.

Now I just show up around 2pm at port---small lines and you can get right to your room. I go to guest services at odd times if need be to avoid lines and we don't care about the tender port stuff.

We stay the night before in a hotel so always just request a late check out and relax until leaving for the ship around 1 or 1:30p

Considering you proudly proclaim to give Carnival no money whatsoever, your opinion is irrelevant.

Here's my take benefit by benefit...

Priority Security, Check-in and Boarding

A dedicated security and check-in lane has been set aside for all Priority guests on embarkation day. FTTF guests will board after VIFP Diamond, Platinum and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations.

Note: Only Diamond, Platinum and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations have access to the Captain’s Lounge.

This works out great for those forced in to a later check-in time than their transportation options allow for, but the funny thing is the initial run of FttF tends to sell out before the check-in appointment times become available. Those that are able to choose an early check-in time, should really look if the other perks will do them any good, as most with the first set of check-in appointments will board shortly after those with priority. But this does not mean that there will not be any wait in the terminal as check-in times start about an hour or so before the ship is ready to board. The difference here is that the wait will (hopefully) be in seats at the terminal instead of on line waiting to be processed. Also the priority check-in lines tend to be the longest (sometimes much longer than general boarding) first thing after the port opens to new passengers.

Another outstanding feature is for those with a later check-in times is that generally after the first hour of accepting new passengers the lines shift from priority having the long line to general boarding having the longer wait. So those with a check-in time that coincides better with the actual boarding time will have a faster processing by being able to access the priority lines. Furthermore they get to skip getting a zone number and will proceed on board along with the next group of general boarding passengers.

Take note of when your port's parking lot opens if driving in. This may impact parking arrangements as some ports like Baltimore don't allow new cars until 1/3-1/2 of the previous cruiser's cars have left. No amount of priority will get your car parked faster, in cases such as this which could mean even with priority your will not enter the terminal any sooner than those with general boarding.

First Access to Stateroom

Your stateroom will be ready for you as soon as you board, so you can relax or freshen up for all the fun you are about to have.

This is perhaps what sells most passengers on getting FttF. Early check-in can always be arranged if booking early and being vigilant about checking for the appointment times to open, but an early check-in time without priority doe not get your cabin cleaned and ready for occupation any sooner than 2.5-3 hours prior to departure (San Juan is an exception).

If you transportation options will not have you to the port terminal until around the cabin ready time this is a wasted perk.

Priority Luggage

While we process thousands of bags, FTTF luggage will receive priority delivery.

Priority here is a very relative term, your bags will end up at your cabin door faster than others from general boarding that arrived to the porters at the same time as you did. But don't go expecting the bags to arrive before everybody else that did general boarding, unless there at the crack of the port accepting new passengers (usually 1 hour before the first published check-in time) as more passengers arrive the more complex the sorting of checked luggage gets, making even priority luggage take 1 or 2 hours to arrive at your cabin door.

For those carrying on all their luggage the priority delivery has no impact.

Guest Services

Quickly have any of your questions answered or requests addressed as you will have a dedicated phone extension and line at Guest Services.

A great perk to have if you visit the GS desk often, but lines sometimes at the Platinum+ window can be just as long as the general line especially when there are 3 crew members handling the regular line and only 1 maybe 2 sharing a workspace for priority.

Dining Reservations

Priority Dinner Time Assignment: FTTF guests will be cleared after VIFP Platinum guests. This benefit does not include specific time reservations for 'Your Time Dining'.

Note: VIFP Diamond guests and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations are guaranteed their dining in the Main Dining Room.

If not already confirmed for your prefered dining time or a reservation time at a specialty restaurant this perk will move you further up the waitlist. If confired and happy with your dining tie choice this does nothng for you.

Tender Priority

You will have priority tender service from ship to shore (multiple departure times may be possible) so you can explore ashore as quickly as you want to. When ready to go ashore, if not on a Carnival shore excursion, present yourself at the Guest Services Desk.

Those with shore excursions at tender ports that leave the first 2 hours or so after anchoring will have priority that supercedes even Diamond status. This is only needed if you plan to explore the island on your own or through a 3rd party pre-arranged tour company. But you still might have to wait if the first few tenders are reserved for those on ship's tours.

If no tender ports on your itinerary this is a wasted benefit.

Debarkation Choices

When it’s time to say good bye, you may choose an early or late disembarkation time upon arrival to your homeport.

Though any priority will get you off the ship faster, it does not speed up the process of Customs checking your bags and clearing you for repatriation or re-entry to the USA.

As long as you include flight informaion in your online check-in that meets Carnival's recomendations they will do their most to make sure you get a zone # (if doing traditional disembarkation) that will get you to the airport in a timely fashion. Within zone disembarkation those taking a post cruise excursion (bought through the cruise line) or the cruise line's transfer service will get an unofficial type of priority to insure these buses leave on time.

For those wishing to wait till as late as possible on debarkation day to leave the ship, this is an option for anyone regardless of priority. Most ships with a 4 pm departure will want you off by 10/10:30am to start boarding new passengers.

pay for free service??

Its only free service if your already Diamond, Platinum or book a suite.

I'll gladly pay extra to walk right in to the terminal first thing in the morning and go right through check in without waiting is worth it instead of waiting in line outside possibly in the rain, hot sun or cold depending where you embark.

I'll gladly pay extra for having your luggage at your stateroom door when you board instead of after dinner 6 hours later AND access to your stateroom at 11:30 am when you board instead of sometime after 1:30 pm and i've heard as late as after 3:00 pm sometimes too.

Which brings me to being able to board the ship with diamond and platinum members. Embarkation day counts as one of the days you paid to be on the ship. Why would I want to wait till 3-4 o'clock in the afternoon to board when most of the day is already gone that I again paid for?

Some excursions will only wait so long for you to arrive and when its a port that's tendered like Belize and the ride is 20-25 minutes to the dock once the tender begins to move. Some cave tubing guides will only wait 1 hour after the boat arrives. FTTF meet at guest services and someone takes you right to the head of the tender lines with diamond and platinum members and you get on the next tender. Sure I could get up really early in the morning to get a number for tenders but i'm on vacation, I dont want to get up at 4 or 5 in the morning to wait in a line in the dinning room for hopefully a low tender number. I'll gladly pay extra to just have a crew member take me right down to the head of the line so i can get to my shore excursion that takes all day to do.

I might have a problem and need to speak to guest services to get it resolved. I dont want to spend an hour or more waiting in line at guest services. Again, I'll gladly pay extra to use the priority line. I'm on vacation, I dont want to waste time standing in lines.

It may sound selfish but every passenger has the same opportunity to purchase FTTF or a suite and get the same perks. To me its a small price to pay to avoid waiting during my vacation. $70 for a 7 day cruise equates to $10 a day and covers everyone in my cabin. NOOOO PROBLEM MON. Its worth it to me.

For me, the best way to utilize the FTTF "benefits" was to first become a platinum, and finally a diamond cruiser. As I said in an earlier post, FTTF wasn't offered when I was a blue, red or gold cruiser.

If it was offered back then, I think instead of paying FTTF fee for each of 10 week long cruises, I would save that $$$ for my "Platinum" status 11th cruise!

To me its a small price to pay to avoid waiting during my vacation. $70 for a 7 day cruise equates to $10 a day and covers everyone in my cabin. NOOOO PROBLEM MON. Its worth it to me.

This, in a nutshell.

After we bypassed the LONG line of people waiting to enter the terminal at Miami and just breezed inside using the Priority entrance, my friend John turned to me and said "Okay, THAT right there makes the cost of Faster to the Fun worthwhile."

We had a Guest Services visit where FTTF saved John at least 30 minutes -- and maybe 45 -- by using the Priority line. That, plus the immediate access to our S&S cards and the stateroom, make it a no-brainer.

FOR US, having our room ready immediately is what makes it worth it. We aren't interested in getting there late enough that they're already ready and dealing with the regular crowds with our small children. If it was just my husband and I again, it wouldn't be such a big deal. Bypassing all the lines is a big extra bonus for us.

For priority at guest services do you go to the diamond/platinum line?

Always have FTTF, but have never remembered that it gives priority at GS.

I try to get FTTF every time I cruise with Carnival. The perks are worth it to me and I have by-passed very longs lines. I really like dropping my carry-on bags off at my room first thing. I like starting my cruise early. I don't want to wait until everyone is already on the ship to board. By then, I will have dropped my bags off at my room, had lunch, and explored the ship.

I think saying the perks are really things that are already offered for free is misleading. Fast passing your way onto the ship and into your room isn't something that is free to other guests. Guests can't opt to get in much shorter lines. Every time I board using FTTF and skip long lines I know I've made the right decision for me. Other people might not care, so it might be a waste of money for them.

It has been worth it for me for the last three cruises I took, but am considering not getting it next cruise.

Actually, not sure when I can cruise again, due to family issues at home. I need to be here now, 24/7, but all this considered, when I next cruise may actually not be on Carnival, but if it is, I doubt that I will spring for FTTF, and will just check in around 1pm and board by 2pm, when the room should be available. Aside from earlier boarding , the other perks are not really of interest to me.