Sandflies on South Island, New Zealand

Bourdieu

Just been warned about the sandflies on the west coast of South Island and how vicious they can be. I gather that to repel them you either need to carry a penguin as bait or cover yourself in vegamite! How serious a problem are they likely to be in February?

Just been warned about the sandflies on the west coast of South Island and how vicious they can be. I gather that to repel them you either need to carry a penguin as bait or cover yourself in vegamite! How serious a problem are they likely to be in February?

Vegemite and Penguins are used as a precaution against Australian Drop Bears, not sure they work on Sandies in NZ. Dawn and Dusk is worst time for the little devils. in OZ we use Rid, however the locals will sell you a repellent that works.

They'll be out in full force! Make sure you have a good insect repellent and cover up where possible. They don't come aboard cruise ships though.

Vegemite and Penguins are used as a precaution against Australian Drop Bears, not sure they work on Sandies in NZ. Dawn and Dusk is worst time for the little devils. in OZ we use Rid, however the locals will sell you a repellent that works.

Thanks for the advice. I've heard hopping on one leg and saying words like sheila and crikey helps keep drop bears away.

Thanks for the advice. I've heard hopping on one leg and saying words like sheila and crikey helps keep drop bears away.

Hopping only works on the left legclear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704 Re Sandies if you do get nipped don't Scratch under any circumstances treat with an anti itch product like Stingoes,Scratching can turn the bites Septic

We did a 3-day hiking trip on the West Coast of NZ a number of years ago in the month of February and despite using an insect repellant recommended by the local chemist, my daughter and I were severely bitten by sandflies. It’s not something to be taken lightly. I recommend covering up as much of your body as possible, regularly applying a strong repellant and carrying a good antihistamine to take to relieve the pain of itching when you are bitten.