What's in a name? (For Cunard's new ship)

koliviera45

Apparently choosing a new name for Cunard's new ship might be quite complicated and all depends on whether HM The Queen is still alive in 2022.

https://cruisearabiaonline.com/2017/09/26/cruise-industry-cunard-face-dilemma-in-choosing-name-for-fourth-ship/

We might have to wait until she's actually launched to find out, like what they did with QE2 :eek:

What do we all think she'll end up being called?

Queen Anne.

Queen Alexandra.

Queen Catherine.

My personal choice would be the second name (but that doesn't mean I think they'll pick it).

Neither Anne or Catherine have been particularly distinguished names in British royal history as queens (so far... ;)), unlike Mary, Victoria and Elizabeth.

Guest SilverHengroen

Queen Anne is an architectural/ design style; I know they emphasised the QV had Victorian styling and QE had Art Deco (after her first predecessor) - maybe they’ll go with a similar thing here? There again, in the same vain they could use Alexandra and the tenuous link to Edwardian era styling (a la Mauretania or even Titanic/Olympic!)

Someone on another thread cleverly noted that the four forward suites on Deck 10 of QM2 are named: Queen Mary, Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Anne.

Based on the fact the other three ship names already apply to vessels still used today, Queen Anne certainly does seem the likely choice based on this observation.

Until Camilla decides at the naming ceremony to name it after herself. It's happened before (Queen Mary thought herself England's most loved queen and so we got RMS Queen Mary instead of RMS Queen Victoria).

It's a shame Cunard have boxed themselves in with all this "Queen" stuff when their traditional "-IA" ending names are both far more pleasing, concise and no more potenially controversial than the original names for Roman provinces they were largely named after. CARONIA, FRANCONIA, CARMANIA, MAURETANIA... what a choice, what history and what great associations with Cunarders past.

I doubt they will name her QUEEN ALEXANDRA even if that sounds far better than the other choices. The Danish-born Queen Consort to King Edward VII was the most ardent and outspoken anti-German in the Royal Household and thus hardly a diplomatic choice for Cunard given its newfound interest in the German cruise market. She'd spin her grave if she knew a ship named after her would call at Hamburg or Kiel.

And besides, Queen Alexandra was, by all accounts and by a far margin, the most beautiful, radiant and lovely Queen of them all... surely not suitable for the name for this hulking, towering block of flats. Surely.

It's a shame Cunard have boxed themselves in with all this "Queen" stuff when their traditional "-IA" ending names are both far more pleasing, concise and no more potenially controversial than the original names for Roman provinces they were largely named after. CARONIA, FRANCONIA, CARMANIA, MAURETANIA... what a choice, what history and what great associations with Cunarders past.

I doubt they will name her QUEEN ALEXANDRA even if that sounds far better than the other choices. The Danish-born Queen Consort to King Edward VII was the most ardent and outspoken anti-German in the Royal Household and thus hardly a diplomatic choice for Cunard given its newfound interest in the German cruise market. She'd spin her grave if she knew a ship named after her would call at Hamburg or Kiel.

And besides, Queen Alexandra was, by all accounts and by a far margin, the most beautiful, radiant and lovely Queen of them all... surely not suitable for the name for this hulking, towering block of flats. Surely.

I'm with you on this. My personal favorite has always been Mauretania. But as Wripro said, Queen Latifah might be out there......:eek::cool:

Hi,

I think the new ship most likely will be named Queen Anne. Because Mary, Elizabeth and Victoria are currently in use, there really aren't that many good choices.

If it were up to me, I would have reserved the "Queen" naming convention for the flagship ocean liners (like Cunard did in the past). I like the idea of using names such as Caronia and Mauretania for the other ships, but I'm not sure if the general public would appreciate this. Another option for the other ships would have been Cunard _____ (like the Cunard Countess and Cunard Princess). This naming convention would allow for many more options.

Chuck

Here's a radical thought (please don't flame me):).....

Instead of another "Queen" or even an "ia" ending name,

since Cunard seems to like to make reference to its White Star side heritage, how about a name ending in "ic" (so long as it's not "Titanic" LOL) ;p:D

since Cunard seems to like to make reference to its White Star side heritage, how about a name ending in "ic" (so long as it's not "Titanic" LOL) ;p:D

Hi,

I like this idea. Majestic, Olympic and Britannic are good names (but the last name is too similar to P&O's Britannia).

Chuck

Guest SilverHengroen

I believe I read in one edition of the Cunarder that their connection to white star is actually more tenuous than popularly believed - Cunard White Star was apparently a separate 3rd operating company which Cunard and White Star held the shares at a 60:40 ratio, transferring control of their fleets to the new company. When Cunard bought out WS, they just purchased the 40% holding that WS had in the company and took direct control again - the two companies never actually formally merged as is commonly believed. I assume White Star just finished trading after this? It’s been a while since I read it but I’m certain that was the gist of it all.

Hi,

The last "ic" ship to sail for Cunard was the Britannic (which entered service in 1930 and was scrapped in 1960). It retained the traditional White Star buff funnel color until the end. The Georgic entered service later (1932), but was scrapped in 1956.

Chuck

I like your post kohl 57. I opt for Queen Alexandera anyway- I know she was almost deaf and not blind- so maybe she will spin in her grave when they dock in Germany! I am quite sure they ( Cunard ) stick to their " Queen" tradition! A ship in de Edwardian style- hm- I think we have that a bit in the Queen Victoria already! Cunard told their will be traditionell Cunard style things on baord along with new ones! If they really do away with the prommenade deck the new Cunarder, whatever name they may choose for her will not be my ship of choice!

Hi,

I like this idea. Majestic, Olympic and Britannic are good names (but the last name is too similar to P&O's Britannia).

Chuck

And the Titanic's sister ship Britannic did sink in 1916. If they did the bizzaro world thing and name this new ship Queen Melania well at least it does end with the letters ia just like Queen Victoria.If they wanted to use one of the White Star Line names Olympic would be a good choice. However for marketing reasons Cunard probably would want to go with a Queen name and it probably will be Queen Anne. Regards,Jerry

While Cunard will likely keep withing the Queen____ naming convention, I personally would like to see Aquitania. A beautiful name for a ship.

More appropriate would be the Caronia, fondly known as the green goddess for being painted multiple shades of that colour. She was Cunard's first purpose built cruise ship.

While Cunard will likely keep withing the Queen____ naming convention, I personally would like to see Aquitania. A beautiful name for a ship.

And a beautiful 4 masted ship!

My father sailed on her as a troop ship, when he was deployed to Europe during WWII...he came home on a Liberty ship...guess which one was nicer... :D