British Isle Cruise 2017 Photo Review

FishinChris

We booked our air through Princess as well. It was half the price of what I was seeing through the major travel websites and airline websites. In our case, we had to change planes both going and coming back. American Airlines has the only direct flight to London from our airport (RDU) and that wasn't discounted through Princess EZAir. We did not book the cruise until June 22 and added the air four days later.

I mostly used the 10-22mm wide angle. But I also used a 24mm prime, 50mm prime, and 100-400L Telephoto. I believe if you click on my pictures it will take you to the Flicker website that is hosting them and from there you can find which lens I used for each picture. Thanks for the kind words.

Thank you so much for the info! I'm just beginning in photography and still trying to learn what lenses are best for which shots. On my last trip I found my 10-22mm gave me most of my favorite shots and I had never used it before. I'm going to stalk your photos to study up before my next trip. ;) :D

• 4 weeks later...
Next stop was the Carrick-a-rede rope bridge. There are a lot of stairs to climb down that you have to climb back up to go out.

36271479923_be53c35391_z.jpgBritish Isle 2017-674.jpg

Queuing up to cross the bridge.

36914508122_ee3cd6638b_z.jpgBritish Isle 2017-679.jpg

The views were fantastic while we waited to cross.

36914523282_ac0e433f1c_z.jpgBritish Isle 2017-681.jpg

Crossing the bridge.

36914544132_a807e6bb23_z.jpgBritish Isle 2017-687.jpg

This was taken at a harbor down the road from the rope bridge.

36261066414_bc3af09c8e_z.jpgBritish Isle 2017-729.jpg

Next up will be Giants Causeway.

Chris, if we don't cross the bridge, will we really be missing out? Some in our party would have a hard time, and we are trying to decide if we should make them wait for us, or to just enjoy the view and skip the crossing the bridge.

I was at Carrick-a-rede ( same sailing as Chris). I walked all the way towards the bridge ( about 10 minutes). A staff from the Park suggested to me that if I did not want to cross the bridge, I could take the pathway to the right up the slope and enjoy the scenery there. A short and gentle climb up the slope will get you to the dead end of the pathway and I recall there is a bench for you to sit. The view of the bridge from there is really great. I am attempting to post a photo taken from that vantage point. Hope it works

Sent from my iPad using Forums

IMG_3122.jpg.4418688db3ab05bba2480a124d59a544.jpg

I was at Carrick-a-rede ( same sailing as Chris). I walked all the way towards the bridge ( about 10 minutes). A staff from the Park suggested to me that if I did not want to cross the bridge, I could take the pathway to the right up the slope and enjoy the scenery there. A short and gentle climb up the slope will get you to the dead end of the pathway and I recall there is a bench for you to sit. The view of the bridge from there is really great. I am attempting to post a photo taken from that vantage point. Hope it works

This picture is quite small and hard to make out. Can you post a larger picture? Thanks

Most of the cruisers had booked the Military Tattoo in Edinburgh while we were in Greenock. Our departure time was 2 am to allow passengers to return to the ship after the Tattoo.

We didn’t go to the Tattoo but booked an all day Highlands photo tour with Photo Walk Scotland. http://www.photowalkscotland.com/

I requested from our guide Tom that we get to experience Scotland and hopefully get some good photos. Tom accepted our challenge and came through again and again. This was the best tour we had on our whole 17 day trip. We were truly blown away by how beautiful the highlands are. The scenery was breathtaking, Our guide was more then qualified for leading us on this tour. As well as being an talented photographer Tom has his MA Hons in Social and Economic History. It was just the 2 of us with our guide all day. We left the ship at 7am and returned after midnight.

Our First stop, Kilchurn Castle on Loch Awe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilchurn_Castle

36310340853_f28cc42205_z.jpgBritish Isle 2017-824.jpg

Photo of the photographer taking photos

36934524076_dec5d8508f_z.jpguntitled shoot-1145.jpg

It really did look like this! This isn't photoshop!

37123334505_f5a0af69dd_z.jpguntitled shoot-1159.jpg

36981414811_97ab4be907_z.jpgBritish Isle 2017-837.jpg

This one is my favorite. My wife took this one with her Olympus camera on the auto settings.

36310414293_3c5b1f79c1_z.jpguntitled shoot-1166.jpg

Coming up more highlands, lots more.

Thanks for the link. I took a look at the website but don't see the name of your tour listed. Was it discontinued?

Fabulous pictures--you have a great eye. We did the British Isles cruise with Princess two years ago, and I have also traveled several times to Scotland and Ireland on land trips so I recognize many of the places from your photos. You really captured the images as well as the spirit of these special places. Thanks for sharing your trip and allowing me to relive some great memories.

• Like 1

Chris, if we don't cross the bridge, will we really be missing out? Some in our party would have a hard time, and we are trying to decide if we should make them wait for us, or to just enjoy the view and skip the crossing the bridge.

I don’t think you would be missing out on anything by not crossing the bridge. The best view is where janette went. Have fun on your trip!

Thanks for the link. I took a look at the website but don't see the name of your tour listed. Was it discontinued?

The tour was generated by emails to Photo Walk Scotland with the time requirements we had for each port. So you could say they were customized to us. It was the best tour of our whole trip in fact we are going back to Scotland just to do a photo workshop with Tom (it’s his company)at the Isle of Skye. Best thing to do is send him an email letting him know when, where, and what you want to see. Have a great trip!

Fabulous pictures--you have a great eye. We did the British Isles cruise with Princess two years ago, and I have also traveled several times to Scotland and Ireland on land trips so I recognize many of the places from your photos. You really captured the images as well as the spirit of these special places. Thanks for sharing your trip and allowing me to relive some great memories.

Thank you for your kind comments.

Lovely photo journal! Brought back so many wonderful memories. I've been to all those spots except Glasgow (our BI cruise went to Edinburgh instead). I highly recommend the Edinburgh Military Tattoo - was a real highlight of my trip.

All those ports and London offer such rich experiences that shouldn't be missed. Glad you had a great trip. :D

Thanks for the photos, great job you did. We are doing the same cruise on Royal next year and also did it in 2009 on Crown.:p We also always rent a car and do a few weeks car touring which is great, staying in the old pubs.

• 2 weeks later...
We were there just in time, the bells were silenced the following week.

36810712452_bb4e3341bb_z.jpgBritish Isle 2017-084.jpg

We recommend going to Westminster Abbey first thing in the morning to avoid the lines. No photography is allowed inside any of the cathedrals in London. It was quite the experience not to be missed.

36948569025_2cc582a557_z.jpgBritish Isle 2017-144.jpg

Photographers everywhere!

36761005896_09a1114977_z.jpgBritish Isle 2017-169.jpg

36808806681_373b30ae2f_z.jpgBritish Isle 2017-175.jpg

The Banqueting Hall was pretty awesome. https://www.hrp.org.uk/banqueting-house/#gs.cSI6lDQ

36948642665_93dc98e19c_z.jpgBritish Isle 2017-185.jpg

My family and I are doing this cruise next year but it ports out of Paris. Does anybody know how long the trip is from the London port right into London?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My family and I are doing this cruise next year but it ports out of Paris. Does anybody know how long the trip is from the London port right into London?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would give yourself 2 hours for travel time each way from South Hampton. That would give you maybe 4 or 5 hours in London.

Have a nice trip!

• 1 month later...
Most of the cruisers had booked the Military Tattoo in Edinburgh while we were in Greenock. Our departure time was 2 am to allow passengers to return to the ship after the Tattoo.

We didn’t go to the Tattoo but booked an all day Highlands photo tour with Photo Walk Scotland. http://www.photowalkscotland.com/

I requested from our guide Tom that we get to experience Scotland and hopefully get some good photos. Tom accepted our challenge and came through again and again. This was the best tour we had on our whole 17 day trip. We were truly blown away by how beautiful the highlands are. The scenery was breathtaking, Our guide was more then qualified for leading us on this tour. As well as being an talented photographer Tom has his MA Hons in Social and Economic History. It was just the 2 of us with our guide all day. We left the ship at 7am and returned after midnight.

Our First stop, Kilchurn Castle on Loch Awe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilchurn_Castle

36310340853_f28cc42205_z.jpgBritish Isle 2017-824.jpg

Photo of the photographer taking photos

36934524076_dec5d8508f_z.jpguntitled shoot-1145.jpg

It really did look like this! This isn't photoshop!

37123334505_f5a0af69dd_z.jpguntitled shoot-1159.jpg

36981414811_97ab4be907_z.jpgBritish Isle 2017-837.jpg

This one is my favorite. My wife took this one with her Olympus camera on the auto settings.

36310414293_3c5b1f79c1_z.jpguntitled shoot-1166.jpg

Coming up more highlands, lots more.

This tour looks fantastic! I just sent an inquiry to see if Tom is available for our day in Greenock in July.

• 3 months later...
36963434622_77b2bbc76b_z.jpgBritish Isle 2017-995.jpg

37134717295_719cf5db1a_z.jpgBritish Isle 2017-1010-HDR.jpg

Camusdarach Beach

37134720635_5d621eb8a6_z.jpgBritish Isle 2017-1074-HDR.jpg

Chasing the sun.

37134723395_5bbddc6c6e_z.jpgBritish Isle 2017-1098.jpg

Last picture of the highlands.

36963441252_bed433bfcb_z.jpgBritish Isle 2017-1117.jpg

We are doing this cruise in June on the Royal Princess....your pictures are just amazing...you have just jumped my excitement level through the roof!!! Thanks for sharing your art!