Walk to town

jpres

Yes, it's right there if you dock at the cruise terminal. If you're on the other side of the harbor you can still walk. It's about 15 minutes I'd say. Or you can take a water taxi over to the cruise terminal. It's a nice town. Not all touristy jewelry stores so if that's your thing you'll be disappointed.

Yes, it's right there if you dock at the cruise terminal. If you're on the other side of the harbor you can still walk. It's about 15 minutes I'd say. Or you can take a water taxi over to the cruise terminal. It's a nice town. Not all touristy jewelry stores so if that's your thing you'll be disappointed.

Thanks again for all the info.

Sandra

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have traveled around the world.

This is not a place I feel comfortable walking around on my own.

Once you get a few blocks from the pier to me it is a bit scary. It is hard to put into words but just like in the USA in a major city sometimes if you turn off the beaten path you might find yourself in an area that just doesn't feel right.

I have no facts to back up that it would be unsafe but it looked unsafe and felt unsafe and I quickly turned around.

Keith

I always walk around St. Lucia. The fact that it’s not touristy (there are few Diamonds International-type stores) is why I like it. I haven’t done socio-economic research on it but it feels like a typical Caribbean island with some unemployment. By that I mean that it feels poorer than the US. You’ll see men standing around talking and shop vendors in the open market lounging around. It’s not all polished and glitzy but I love it for that reason. But whenever I leave the ship at ANY port, I leave my diamond ring and earring studs in my cabin and only take one credit card and $50 in small bills and my iPhone for my camera. I’ve never had a problem. And I’ve taken my 89-year old mother there.

I could be wrong, but as far as I can recall, there are terminals with shops at both piers. So browsing can be done just a few steps from the ship, without going into the town. The town itself caters more to the locals, with appliance stores, etc., and open-air produce markets.