Oceana 4th - 10 May

GP&LK

We came off Oceana on Thursday and have to say it was an amazing cruise.

It started off on a wobbly as Thomas Cook removed a load of cases due to the plane being over weight, so we didn’t get them until 3rd evening. P&O helped us cope considerably and did their best.

The ship though was very nice, as were the ports (Split, Venice, Ravenna and Dubrovnik). We had an inside that was always kept clean and tidy.

I have to say the staff on this ship really do stand out, they go out of their way to help you! I can see why Oceana has a loyal following.

We also found the food on this cruise great, the buffet being the only one that isn’t a bun fight.

I’ve got a diary from the cruise on my blog and we’ll have a video up soon, so if you are interested the details are in my signature.

It started off on a wobbly as Thomas Cook removed a load of cases due to the plane being over weight, so we didn’t get them until 3rd evening. P&O helped us cope considerably and did their best.

The ship though was very nice, as were the ports (Split, Venice, Ravenna and Dubrovnik). We had an inside that was always kept clean and tidy.

I have to say the staff on this ship really do stand out, they go out of their way to help you! I can see why Oceana has a loyal following.

We also found the food on this cruise great, the buffet being the only one that isn’t a bun fight.

I’ve got a diary from the cruise on my blog and we’ll have a video up soon, so if you are interested the details are in my signature.

Yes, we also had a great cruise when we were on board Oceana last month.

Eeek - no clothes for 3 nights!! I’d be going bonkers!

Anyone heard of this before - nervous as flying 31 May and have cruised before with no luggage - [emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's lovely to read. Love the ship and totally agree re having great cruises on her.

Have to say I would not have been happy re the Thomas Cook issue at all ! I am not a complainer but would have hit the roof on this one. What on earth was the reason for this and hope that you got lots and lots of OBC !!! Not P&O's fault but am speechless as I've never come across this one before .... gobsmacked to be honest.

I'm really disturbed by this - we are flying to the Oceana with Thomas Cook and the prospect of being on a cruise without any change of clothing for half a week is quite a worry. Hope it was a one-off - as eddie11 says, how can that be? Surely they haven't accepted so much additional hold luggage that it makes them unable to fly with it all. Beggars belief really.

Sorry the OP had to deal with this - but glad the overall impressions and enjoyment of the cruise was so positive.

Eeek - no clothes for 3 nights!! I’d be going bonkers!

Anyone heard of this before - nervous as flying 31 May and have cruised before with no luggage - [emoji85]

It seems that this was a 7 night cruise so 3 days with no luggage. The more I think about it the more confused I'm getting. How on earth can that happen? Never heard anything like it. OK heard of the odd case going missing but an airline taking cases off due to a weight issue. Just surreal

Sorry to hear about your Thomas Cook experience but hopefully this was a one off occurrence.

Glad it didn't spoil your cruise.

We flew out to Oceana on a Thomson charter flight and thankfully there were no problems for us.

Sorry to hear about your Thomas Cook experience but hopefully this was a one off occurrence.

Glad it didn't spoil your cruise.

We flew out to Oceana on a Thomson charter flight and thankfully there were no problems for us.

To be fair (and to stop anyone about to sail from worrying) we have now done 3 fly cruises with Oceana with TUI and Thomas Cook and all flights and transfers were perfect.

To be fair (and to stop anyone about to sail from worrying) we have now done 3 fly cruises with Oceana with TUI and Thomas Cook and all flights and transfers were perfect.

Thanks for the confirmation, that's reassuring.

It seems that this was a 7 night cruise so 3 days with no luggage. The more I think about it the more confused I'm getting. How on earth can that happen? Never heard anything like it. OK heard of the odd case going missing but an airline taking cases off due to a weight issue. Just surreal

Maybe they just ‘lost’ some bags and have used ‘weight’ as a cause?

My missing case was on a Cunard charter so I’m doubly worried now!

Ship was great and Customer Services onboard the ship did all they could to help, liaising with Thomas Cook, we were in direct contact with the Custoner Service Manager for Oceana several times a day. They provided us with toiletries, some OBC and even provided jackets for formal night. As a male couple, we were able to share clothes, so not too bad. Advised by them this DOES NOT HAPPEN VERY OFTEN AND WAS A RARE INCIDENT - this was our first fly cruise.

To explain the situation:

6am flight was supposed to depart Bristol. At 6:20 captain advised there was paper work issues. We saw about 20 random cases being taken out. In Malta both P&O and Thomas Cook customers were missing cases. We all logged this at the lost luggage area and a P&O rep caught wind and came to assist taking our details, photos of the Irregular Property Report and receipts. Once onboard we were told to go to reception, the person on reception told us to wait aside and he would get the manager. Nick, the CSM was very apologetic, saying they were aware of 5 P&O cases left at Bristol (to clarify, not lost but removed). He advised they would try to get them to Malta but it was unlikely to be in time. Around 1pm we headed in to Malta and bought my essentials like undies, new pair of trousers and shoes, everything else I could borrow from my partner. Back on ship they confirmed cases would not be arriving before departure at 8pm - offered a small amount of OBC and free express service laundry.

Day 2, sea day it was confirmed cases would arrive following afternoon, so 3rd full day. Also received letter from Thomas Cook advising ‘for operational reasons’ Bags had to be taken off the plane. The clarification we got is there was excess weight and possiblely due to bad weather they could not fly at this weight. The letter stated they understood how inconvenient this was on a cruise and to retain receipts for clothing and these would be reimbursed by TC once back in the uk (waiting for that now).

On returning to our cabin after a port day in Split, the cases arrived.

So 2 nights/3 days without luggage and we still had an amazing time! I wouldn’t let that get me down, P&O did all they could, the staff were brill, the ship great and the ports stunning!

Ship was great and Customer Services onboard the ship did all they could to help, liaising with Thomas Cook, we were in direct contact with the Custoner Service Manager for Oceana several times a day. They provided us with toiletries, some OBC and even provided jackets for formal night. As a male couple, we were able to share clothes, so not too bad. Advised by them this DOES NOT HAPPEN VERY OFTEN AND WAS A RARE INCIDENT - this was our first fly cruise.

6am flight was supposed to depart Bristol. At 6:20 captain advised there was paper work issues. We saw about 20 random cases being taken out. In Malta both P&O and Thomas Cook customers were missing cases. We all logged this at the lost luggage area and a P&O rep caught wind and came to assist taking our details, photos of the Irregular Property Report and receipts. Once onboard we were told to go to reception, the person on reception told us to wait aside and he would get the manager. Nick, the CSM was very apologetic, saying they were aware of 5 P&O cases left at Bristol (to clarify, not lost but removed). He advised they would try to get them to Malta but it was unlikely to be in time. Around 1pm we headed in to Malta and bought my essentials like undies, new pair of trousers and shoes, everything else I could borrow from my partner. Back on ship they confirmed cases would not be arriving before departure at 8pm - offered a small amount of OBC and free express service laundry.

Day 2, sea day it was confirmed cases would arrive following afternoon, so 3rd full day. Also received letter from Thomas Cook advising ‘for operational reasons’ Bags had to be taken off the plane. The clarification we got is there was excess weight and possiblely due to bad weather they could not fly at this weight. The letter stated they understood how inconvenient this was on a cruise and to retain receipts for clothing and these would be reimbursed by TC once back in the uk (waiting for that now).

So 2 nights/3 days without luggage and we still had an amazing time! I wouldn’t let that get me down, P&O did all they could, the staff were brill, the ship great and the ports stunning!

Very positive attitude and I’m glad it didn’t spoil your cruise - I’m sure that being able to share your partners clothes was a big help. I’m also sure not everyone would have been able to do so and as a consequence would have been very upset indeed

So glad that lovely Oceana and her crew looked after you. She is one of our favourites and has a special place in our hearts (soppy I know, but true)

Glad that you had a brilliant cruise - what a great attitude you have ! Imagine what she is like without the stress !!!! Even better !!!

I am guessing that this won't be your last cruise :)

Thanks for the clarification GP&LK - it's helpful to know the circumstances. So glad it didn't spoil your cruise and that you enjoyed the ship and itinerary so much. Happy future cruising - hopefully glitch-free!

Thanks everyone!

Didn’t mean to panic anyone, but hopefully if anyone is worried they can prepare better by spreading clothes and taking a set in carry on just in case. I always try and stay positive, at the end of the day we were there, Gin was in stock and there was unlimited food, could have been much much worse.

Won’t put us off, just makes us want to cruise longer than 7 days next time, haha!

Oceana is a lovely ship, all the staff so friendly, taking time to get to know you and have a laugh with you. We’d go back in a heartbeat!

I am sure that for most people who fly 2 or 3 times a year never experience lost luggage but it best to try to anticipate problems and do whatever you can to make life easier for yourself.

When I am packing I always mix my husband's and my clothes across our cases because I was a frequent flier when I worked and I lost count of how many times my hold luggage was missing. I also pack underwear and light shirts or tops in our hand luggage. BA were by far the worst to the point where I refused to allow our travel dept to book me with them if there was a viable alternative. For health reasons my husband can't fly now so we always go from Southampton but I still pack as if we are flying because we once met a couple on Ventura whose luggage had somehow not been loaded at Southampton.

Whatever happens enjoy your cruise on one of my favourite ships, I am just sad that she no longer sails out of Southampton during the summer but it is a good excuse for us to take a winter cruise.

Edited by Josy1953

GP&LK Any recommendations for excursions? It's a fab itinerary and great ports for DiY but we've done most of the ports before so did you go on any trips and if so, were they good?

Take a look at my diary on my blog, has more info but general jist is:

P&O excursion to the Krka National Park in Split, we’ll worth the £50pp.

Venice we did the bell tower (pre booked on Internet so you can jump to the front) and also the roof top view point at the mall by Rialto Bridge. The rest of the time was spent getting lost, eating pizza and gelato.

Ravenna wasn’t for us, think this port needs research or a excursion to make the most of it.

Dubrovnik we did the cable car, walked the walls and Hunter Game of Thrones locations :) if we went back we would look at spending more time wondering around the old town and maybe a trip over to Lokrum island :)

Hopefully st least one of those ideas may help :)

Take a look at my diary on my blog, has more info but general jist is:

P&O excursion to the Krka National Park in Split, we’ll worth the £50pp.

Venice we did the bell tower (pre booked on Internet so you can jump to the front) and also the roof top view point at the mall by Rialto Bridge. The rest of the time was spent getting lost, eating pizza and gelato.

Ravenna wasn’t for us, think this port needs research or a excursion to make the most of it.

Dubrovnik we did the cable car, walked the walls and Hunter Game of Thrones locations :) if we went back we would look at spending more time wondering around the old town and maybe a trip over to Lokrum island :)

Hopefully st least one of those ideas may help :)

Yes thanks that's really helpful. :) We haven't got Ravenna on our itinerary so perhaps we've been lucky there (if the substitute is good!)

Didn't know of the view point at the Rialto - is that on the Bridge itself - I didn't know of a mall there? DH will certainly be interested in getting a good view point so will definitely investigate that - along with a visit to Nico's for an icecream. :D

I'd wondered about Krka so am pleased to get your recommendation for that.

I'll go to read your blog now - but thanks again for your advice.

Yes thanks that's really helpful. :) We haven't got Ravenna on our itinerary so perhaps we've been lucky there (if the substitute is good!)

Didn't know of the view point at the Rialto - is that on the Bridge itself - I didn't know of a mall there? DH will certainly be interested in getting a good view point so will definitely investigate that - along with a visit to Nico's for an icecream. :D

I'd wondered about Krka so am pleased to get your recommendation for that.

I'll go to read your blog now - but thanks again for your advice.

Krka is a 2 hour bus ride, some nice scenery and we had an excellent guide talking all the way. You have about 2 hours at the park, more than enough to do the trail.

The rooftop view point is free, but you need to book (we did it an hour before) and you get a 15min slot - here is the website to book on https://www.dfs.com/en/venice/t-fondaco-rooftop-terrace

Krka is a 2 hour bus ride, some nice scenery and we had an excellent guide talking all the way. You have about 2 hours at the park, more than enough to do the trail.

The rooftop view point is free, but you need to book (we did it an hour before) and you get a 15min slot - here is the website to book on https://www.dfs.com/en/venice/t-fondaco-rooftop-terrace

That looks absolutely brilliant! (y)(y) Just spent 5 days in Venice and had no idea it was there. Definitely a must do when we visit on the cruise. Excited about that - and the cafe looks great - guess it's pricy but given what we paid for a very mediocre coffee and location last week near the Rialto, I'm sure it will be worth the premium although perhaps not the €25 for a cappuccino in S. Mark's Square. We passed on that but enjoyed standing listening to the musicians nevertheless! Thanks again - great tip! ;)

We've also been on the Krka excursion and would definitely recommend it. The boat ride at the end reminded me of the Lord of the Rings raft ride.

If you do go pack swimwear as it gets hot and a dip at the bottom of the waterfall is very refreshing.

We've also been on the Krka excursion and would definitely recommend it. The boat ride at the end reminded me of the Lord of the Rings raft ride.

If you do go pack swimwear as it gets hot and a dip at the bottom of the waterfall is very refreshing.

Thanks happy v - good to hear another positive experience of Krka and useful to know about the potential for a dip. 😀