Service Reward Letter

jeanlyon

Oh dear, it's so easy. We tip our Cabin Steward on the penultimate night - they are always around then. As to the waiters, they are also there on the last night. As to taking cash, I draw the cash from Reception 2 days before we get home. There is no extra charge on my credit card for drawing cash. Lastly, if the cabin steward isn't around, you simply leave an envelope on the bed with his name on it. That's what my friend does who travels alone.

If tips were included in the upfront cost, wouldn't you still give a little tip. We would.

Oh dear, its even easier to leave the auto gratuity on too. No messing about with getting cash however collected, no filling envelopes, no hunting down staff. How much time of your holiday are you wasting in line at reception to get cash (isn’t it in £s on P&O anyway, I was referring to exchanging currency into $), dividing up the cash, putting it into the envelopes, carrying them around? But then again some people love the drama of handing over an envelope, however discretely to a worker. I don’t, I find it very embarrassing for myself and the recipient, so once again I stand my decision to keep auto gratuities in place.

Let’s face it, whatever I say or do, you always, and I mean always have an answer on any thread where you like to try and rebuke me. So, you continue to remove your gratuities and reward those you feel deserve it in whatever way you feel is appropriate. I’ll continue to express my views and preferences that auto or pre paid is my preference, and that the amount on P&O is one of the lowest in the industry and I do not object to those on the other lines I sail on. Basically those who sail on P&O should stop moaning about £7 pppd as it’s nothing compared to other lines, but I happily pay it. What I get from reading the comments on here is that people object to the cost of £7 pppd. They think it’s expensive and that it has increased a lot over recent times. Maybe it has, but it’s still less expensive than on other lines.

I am making comparisons which I am fully entitled to do to ensure a more informed picture is given and I stand behind my comments that it’s low on P&O and good value compared to other lines.

Edited by peteukmcr

Oh dear, its even easier to leave the auto gratuity on too. No messing about with getting cash however collected, no filling envelopes, no hunting down staff. How much time of your holiday are you wasting in line at reception to get cash (isn’t it in £s on P&O anyway, I was referring to exchanging currency into $), dividing up the cash, putting it into the envelopes, carrying them around? But then again some people love the drama of handing over an envelope, however discretely to a worker. I don’t, I find it very embarrassing for myself and the recipient, so once again I stand my decision to keep auto gratuities in place.

Let’s face it, whatever I say or do, you always, and I mean always have an answer on any thread where you like to try and rebuke me. So, you continue to remove your gratuities and reward those you feel deserve it in whatever way you feel is appropriate. I’ll continue to express my views and preferences that auto or pre paid is my preference, and that the amount on P&O is one of the lowest in the industry and I do not object to those on the other lines I sail on. Basically those who sail on P&O should stop moaning about £7 pppd as it’s nothing compared to other lines, but I happily pay it.

I am making comparison which I am fully entitled to do to ensure a more informed picture is given.

I agree the old way of giving out envelopes was stressful.

We autopay tips on P&O and it comes out of our obc for booking select and a better cabin.

I always give extra tips in cash to any outstanding individual or at a speciality restaurant.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Forums mobile app

Let’s face it, whatever I say or do, you always, and I mean always have an answer on any thread where you like to try and rebuke me. So, you continue to remove your gratuities and reward those you feel deserve it in whatever way you feel is appropriate. I’ll continue to express my views and preferences that auto or pre paid is my preference, and that the amount on P&O is one of the lowest in the industry and I do not object to those on the other lines I sail on. Basically those who sail on P&O should stop moaning about £7 pppd as it’s nothing compared to other lines, but I happily pay it. What I get from reading the comments on here is that people object to the cost of £7 pppd. They think it’s expensive and that it has increased a lot over recent times. Maybe it has, but it’s still less expensive than on other lines.

I am making comparisons which I am fully entitled to do to ensure a more informed picture is given and I stand behind my comments that it’s low on P&O and good value compared to other lines.

I happen to agree with you that P&O are good value compared to other lines, but to be honest that's one of the reasons why we prefer to sail wth them.

But that’s a cabin with 4 persons, so that’s 4 lots of bedding, 4 lots of towels etc. Just because they are children does not reduce the amount of linens for a cabin of 4. People seem to think that you shouldn’t pay for children, but they still sleep in a bed using bedding, they still use a bathroom using towels and toiletries, they still discard rubbish. To me that’s why cruise lines consider a stateroom as having a number of berths, regardless of the ages of those inhabiting it.

Just a minute, are we paying all their wages in AG? Or is this a tip for good service? I got paid for doing my job, never saw a tip however well I did it. If we are paying their wages then it is not a gratuity and you make it sound as though we are paying their wages and not giving something for good service.

Op earlier said that they were thinking of sending a letter before cruise to cancel AG. I guess that if one did that, if they were added one could just simply get home and tell CC company that this is a bad amount and ask for a refund.

Anyone tried cancelling before cruise on the grounds that if they inform you before you can cancel it before and not have to stand in a queue in valuable time of an expensive holiday.

Some people don't get on-board credit, so have to pay AG's themselves.

Anyone paying the service charge does so out of their own money. It’s a fallacy to believe that OBC is someone else’s money. P&O use OBC as a marketing tool, offering more at times when prices go up and less when prices go down. We always consider the price we are paying for a cruise as the net of the fare less OBC. So to suggest that those with OBC are getting service charges free whereas those without are paying is completely inaccurate.

Just a minute, are we paying all their wages in AG? Or is this a tip for good service? I got paid for doing my job, never saw a tip however well I did it. If we are paying their wages then it is not a gratuity and you make it sound as though we are paying their wages and not giving something for good service.
Well with RCI and Celebrity and can say that when pre paying, it shows on your invoice as On Board Service Charge, and has for years, so it is a payment for service.

It amuses me every time this subject comes up on CC. If I was staying in a hotel for a week or month would I have additional costs (Gratuities) placed on my bill? NO. Although the same person has cleaned my room every day they are not expecting a tip.

It is a straight forward case of making additional profit at the cost of the customer. I received a letter near the end of a recent cruise and it went straight in the bin.

It amuses me every time this subject comes up on CC. If I was staying in a hotel for a week or month would I have additional costs (Gratuities) placed on my bill? NO. Although the same person has cleaned my room every day they are not expecting a tip.

It is a straight forward case of making additional profit at the cost of the customer. I received a letter near the end of a recent cruise and it went straight in the bin.

Absolutely correct just a profit center for the cruise lines. Every extra dollar they can get from passengers amount to millions in added profit. The cruise lines wants you to feel sorry for the poor hard working crews so they can get more money from guests. I don't get these types of letters or issues anymore as I'm sure my file says something like "always removes daily services fees, cannot talk to him, will not change tips in cash, stay away from issue.... do not try to add"

Which is exactly the way I want things to be. My money and my choice of who how and when to tip.

I always tip the chambermaid when I stay I stay in a hotel, and wa brought up to do so. As I said said before it is a class thing, some people where never brought up to tip and do not know who to tip

Who knows? About 60% of their wages is guaranteed which means is paid out of revenue such as fares and on board spend. As for the rest???

I always tip the chambermaid when I stay I stay in a hotel, and wa brought up to do so. As I said said before it is a class thing, some people where never brought up to tip and do not know who to tip
Last time we were in Orlando I left $2 tip daily with a note saying thank you for the chambermaid.

Although you may not have gratuities added to your bill, in a lot of hotels there will be a little note letting you know the name of your room attendant and therefore, that’s a subtle way of asking for a tip. Happens all the time to us in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last time we were in Orlando I left $2 tip daily with a note saying thank you for the chambermaid.

I agree and usually near the ‘name tag’ left usually near the telephone introducing themselves . We leave the tip as we check out which is an amount multiplied by the number of days stay. E.g at Disney 3 weeks ago $10 for a 3 night stay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well with RCI and Celebrity and can say that when pre paying, it shows on your invoice as On Board Service Charge, and has for years, so it is a payment for service.

I must get some new glasses, the last time I looked at this thread it quite distinctly said P & O cruises. So why has it suddenly been changed to RCI and Celebrity thread?

Oh I see this post belongs in another section because it has nothing to do with P & O cruises.

If we are paying their wages through AG, PO tell us that removing it, as such, does not change what staff receive. So to give them a real tip on top of wages one has to remove AG and give them cash, which can be kept by the person it is given to.

I must get some new glasses, the last time I looked at this thread it quite distinctly said P & O cruises. So why has it suddenly been changed to RCI and Celebrity thread?

Oh I see this post belongs in another section because it has nothing to do with P & O cruises.

If we are paying their wages through AG, PO tell us that removing it, as such, does not change what staff receive. So to give them a real tip on top of wages one has to remove AG and give them cash, which can be kept by the person it is given to.

It hasn't changed to another lines thread. But as I stated earlier, I will continue to provide a comparison of the charges other lines make regarding to gratuities/service to broaden the horizons of P&O cruisers who think they are being 'ripped off' by the line.

There are several people like me who sail on other lines as well as P&O so they may be interested. If you sail exclusively on P&O then my information lets you know that you are not that hard done to with regard the £7 pppd which most are complaining about.

It hasn't changed to another lines thread. But as I stated earlier, I will continue to provide a comparison of the charges other lines make regarding to gratuities/service to broaden the horizons of P&O cruisers who think they are being 'ripped off' by the line.

There are several people like me who sail on other lines as well as P&O so they may be interested. If you sail exclusively on P&O then my information lets you know that you are not that hard done to with regard the £7 pppd which most are complaining about.

I am not complaining about the amount - just the process and the lack of confidence that all the money reaches the staff. I am not paying a fixed charge to fill P&O's coffers if it ALL doesn't reach the people it is supposed to.

I am sure that many on here have a good knowledge of other lines and I certainly have sailed them. But you were quoting them to try and say that PO were the same and that this was in UK parlance a "service charge". That may be a local cultural use of the word, who knows, but their threads are the place to debate it.

I have never suggested that one should not give gratuities nor that PO's AG's are greater than any other line. The debate is why one gives and how, so the staff receive the gratuity. On these threads there has been considerable doubt cast on who gets the money from AG's and the fact that customers generosity can be used against the very staff the money was given for. So seems that to give staff a real extra bit of gratuity, one can remove AG's, which PO says will not affect staff's income, and give that in cash, which the member of staff can keep and does not have to share or pool.

I do not believe that out of the goodness of their heart PO are concerned for staff when AG's are removed, which would seem to be the thrust that some are putting on that letter. If staff are not affected by removal then PO must be. Hence the letter.

The impression I get is that it is the other cruise lines that are ripping their passengers off not P&O. It's about choice not necessarily trying to bring P&O into line with the way other cruise lines operate. You pay your money and take your choice on the cruise line that you prefer.

The impression I get is that it is the other cruise lines that are ripping their passengers off not P&O. It's about choice not necessarily trying to bring P&O into line with the way other cruise lines operate. You pay your money and take your choice on the cruise line that you prefer.

Not sure why you think that about other cruise lines. For everyone I know the AG's are incorporated into the basic cruise fare, so you know what you are paying from the start and evry other cruise line sold in the UK will have to allow AG's to be removed. Cannot sell if there are extras that have to be paid not included in price.

What confuses me most on these threads is why some posters don't believe salaries should reflect living costs in their home countries.

If these crew members were to take up a UK land based contract, of course they would be paid more. They would have to pay UK prices to feed themselves, UK rent to house themselves, utilities, transport etc.

In reality they live on the ship for the duration of their contract and are not subject to the above costs. They then return home for a period and are subject to the cost of living in their home country - not the UK or USA.

As for tipping in cash, well that's personal choice but if all did it there could be a lot of wealthy cabin stewards around. If we all gave half the suggested AG (£3.50 pppn) they would easily net £100 per day in tips on top of their basic wage and bonus.

I know they work long and hard but that's would be quite a tidy sum for someone in the UK let alone in India or the Phillipines.

Agree with you. My parents always tipped the chamber maid when we stayed at hotels on holiday in my childhood. So I have always done the same. I think some people were brought up in families who did not stay in hotels so are not familiar with the concept. Many families stay in holiday cottages or caravans where tipping is not an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not sure why you think that about other cruise lines. For everyone I know the AG's are incorporated into the basic cruise fare, so you know what you are paying from the start and evry other cruise line sold in the UK will have to allow AG's to be removed. Cannot sell if there are extras that have to be paid not included in price.

The impression I got was that us P&O cruisers should be grateful and think ourselves lucky that we only have to pay £7.00 pp pd in AG's.

Whereas on other lines the equivalent charges apparently would be higher.