New GDPR laws- It could affect your loyalty points and booking.

Thejuggler

My wife had the 'New DATA regulations' letter today. Impossible to register her account - see previous posts - couldn't get through on phone.

The letter says "If you wish to remain a peninsular club member ... You will need to create an account ...

Does this mean that if she can't do this she will lose her benefits? Is this another example of P&O changing the rules after booking, in the same way as increasing the autotips or banning bringing alcohol aboard at ports?

Before we updated our P&O peninsular club membership my wife membership was not being

recognised when she tried to login but mine went through fine.

I phoned P&O up and they said they could see I had a booking on my account and all the past were through my e-mail as well.

They advised the easy way would be for her to re register with an alternative e-mail address.

SO that's what she did ,it will ask you to put your name address etc and then it invites you to put in your customer number

(This is in the letter she had sent to register or any past bookings with P&O)

Goes something like EWO*******H . Once entered hit update and it will show as your wife's account

also remember to tick the box I wish to remain a member of the Peninsular club and hit the update button and that's it, her membership is safe, she will lose nothing .:)

Yes, I have been a member for a few years, so I had to re-register, put in my Peninsular number - log out, then log in again and all my history was there and my Loyalty. I did it through the forgot my password option and then filled in my details.

I have finally got mine sorted out after several emails and posts on their Facebook page, all of which stated that I don't do hanging on the phone. The person who contacted me had to de-register my email, because I only have one, so that I could re register it.

My account works fine now. God help my daughter if she ever wants to get in, but I don't think she's able to cruise at present. If she did it would be with me and I have access.

My wife had the 'New DATA regulations' letter today. Impossible to register her account - see previous posts - couldn't get through on phone.

The letter says "If you wish to remain a peninsular club member ... You will need to create an account ...

Does this mean that if she can't do this she will lose her benefits? Is this another example of P&O changing the rules after booking, in the same way as increasing the autotips or banning bringing alcohol aboard at ports?

Nobody will lose their benefits. P&O are implying this to make people update their marketing preferences as, like most organisations, they haven’t fully understood GDPR and assumed that they need to seek consent when they don’t.

In fact, in the last few days Elizabeth Denhan, the Information Commissioner, has made a statement saying that many companies are wrongly jumping to the conclusion that they need to adopt a consent approach when they don’t.

Anyhow, for those who are anxious, P&O has stated that if someone doesn’t provide consent they will hold their loyalty points on record so that they can be reactivated at a later stage.

Nobody will lose their benefits. P&O are implying this to make people update their marketing preferences as, like most organisations, they haven’t fully understood GDPR and assumed that they need to seek consent when they don’t.

In fact, in the last few days Elizabeth Denhan, the Information Commissioner, has made a statement saying that many companies are wrongly jumping to the conclusion that they need to adopt a consent approach when they don’t.

Anyhow, for those who are anxious, P&O has stated that if someone doesn’t provide consent they will hold their loyalty points on record so that they can be reactivated at a later stage.

Thanks for that, because the phones seem to be too busy when I try... and my husband still hasn't had notice- and he books directly with them and pays! :o

Thanks for putting this so clearly. I have noticed the many varying approaches adopted by the companies I deal with. Many have just reissued their privacy policy and left it at that. I think you are right that it is all about completing their database for mail shots and junk email!

Now I know I updated my preferences in March but I just wanted to check its all ok today. I couldn't log into My Account as it said login failure, reset the password and got the same, unable to login. I have asked them on Facebook what's going on.

Now I know I updated my preferences in March but I just wanted to check its all ok today. I couldn't log into My Account as it said login failure, reset the password and got the same, unable to login. I have asked them on Facebook what's going on.

CCFC

I had a similar problem when trying to reset the password, tried using a different browser and it worked ok - not sure if I can say which one but it starts with F !

Ahh I wonder if Windows credentials manager is doing its thing, thank you for the tip I will give it a go. Surprisingly P&O replied to my Facebook message quite quickly telling me to reregister...

CCFC

I had a similar problem when trying to reset the password, tried using a different browser and it worked ok - not sure if I can say which one but it starts with F !

Thank you, opening My Account in Opera worked fine!