Advice for mom taking two older teen girls on a cruise?

scooktn

Hi and welcome. What cruise line are you sailing? We have specific boards for each line and you can ask questions and read the threads to get more information.

We will be on NCL Escape for a 7 day Cruise.

We will be on NCL Escape for a 7 day Cruise.
The girls will enjoy Carnival the most. It's the ultimate party ship with non stop action and fun!

Even Royal has plenty of activities for them.

You and the girls will have a fantastic time on the Escape. It is a great ship with tons to do. Lots of venues (shows, eateries..etc.). I like that they have an actual restaurant..O'sheenahan's open 24/7. As far as safety, the girls are 18 and should be perfectly fine. Of course I would set a couple of rules, as one would for any vacation. For example: Always stay together, perhaps a curfew, and check in with you once in a while. Things like that. As far as Bermuda, you picked one of my favorite places for your cruise. I have been there numerous times. It is one of the most beautiful and safe Islands. The people are amazing, kind and respectful. FYI, since the girls are 18, just know that they cannot walk around in their bathing suits on the Island. The only place they can openly wear them, is on the beach. They are a very respectful people. Tons to do there. If you want any suggestions, just let us know. Have a wonderful time!

The girls will enjoy Carnival the most. It's the ultimate party ship with non stop action and fun!

Even Royal has plenty of activities for them.

Except that she's already booked on the escape

The girls will love the activities on the escape...do not worry

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m taking my 18 year old daughter and a friend on a Bermuda cruise. Any safety and/or entertainment guidelines or ideas for the cruise as well as Bermuda would be appreciated!

You picked a great ship and destination

I cruise frequently with my older teen and young adult daughters and have cruised out of NYC several times and love it as we live very close to the port

That said...and trust me about this....any cruise out of NYC in the summer will have an interesting demographic on it

Take that as you will but as far as my kids are concerned, they prefer to not party into the wee hours nor do they look to make new friends on the ship

They always have a great time with just our family and each other...rock climbing...going to spice h2o...rope course...shows...deck parties...

My kids have a great time and easily get by without finding a group to hang out with simply because they don't need to. Lol

Thank you, Maggie Cruises. I’m hoping to get that perfect balance of fun and safety!

Whenever I've cruised with just 2 of my 4 kids they have been just fine together and never bored so never a need to look for others to hang out with

Yours will have a great time but as a mom of 4 daughters please take my advice.....explain to your daughter and her friend that it's not wise to think that everyone else on the ship is worthy of their friendship. The vast majority will be great people of course but there will be some cruisers that are just not nice. Easily and not so easily spotted

I rarely tell my girls this these days because they figured this out years ago on our 1st cruise. Lol

Make sure you have written permission from the parents to take their child, and also something saying you can make medical decisions in their absence.

I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Will do! Thanks!

I’m taking my 18 year old daughter and a friend on a Bermuda cruise. Any safety and/or entertainment guidelines or ideas for the cruise as well as Bermuda would be appreciated!

Public transportation in Bermuda is inexpensive, safe, and easy to use. Do not let the girls rent mopeds/scooters! They are a common cause of injury on Bermuda cruises. (Narrow roads, driving on the left, unfamiliar surroundings, etc.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Public transportation in Bermuda is inexpensive, safe, and easy to use. Do not let the girls rent mopeds/scooters! They are a common cause of injury on Bermuda cruises. (Narrow roads, driving on the left, unfamiliar surroundings, etc.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good to know! That’s something I’m sure they would ask about, so I appreciate the heads up!

Make sure you have written permission from the parents to take their child, and also something saying you can make medical decisions in their absence.

I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Over 18 is an adult. I don’t think she would need her parents’ permission. Assume she has a passport. I would make sure she has valid medical insurance. Most 18-year-olds are on their parents ‘ insurance. Make sure she has coverage and ID card.

Over 18 is an adult. I don’t think she would need her parents’ permission. Assume she has a passport. I would make sure she has valid medical insurance. Most 18-year-olds are on their parents ‘ insurance. Make sure she has coverage and ID card.

Except that many insurance policies do not cover the insured on the ship or in a foreign country. A travel policy for an 18 yo should be relatively cheap.

Except that many insurance policies do not cover the insured on the ship or in a foreign country. A travel policy for an 18 yo should be relatively cheap.

That was why I suggested checking what her insurance covers. No need to buy additional insurance if she is already covered. Too many people assume young people are healthy but they still have emergencies and accidents.

She may find a "bundled" policy covering lost luggage, trip delays, and health would work.

Once you're feeling more comfortable with the ship and destination, your next thoughts should be about the logistics of bathroom / shower / mirror time, unless you and your girls are all low maintenance. It will count on the room /bathroom configuration (or two rooms?) on the specific ship. Ask on the specific line's board for specifics.

Just need to plan, not worry - we had three women in one room (two big make-up / hair prep girls, and one still a hippie). It worked. Because there was a mirror and make-up mirror and the blow-dryer in the room rather than the bathroom.

Have a GREAT time!

:D

Once you're feeling more comfortable with the ship and destination, your next thoughts should be about the logistics of bathroom / shower / mirror time, unless you and your girls are all low maintenance.”

😀 Good thing to think about! We’ll see if we can work out a schedule!

Whenever I've cruised with just 2 of my 4 kids they have been just fine together and never bored so never a need to look for others to hang out with

Yours will have a great time but as a mom of 4 daughters please take my advice.....explain to your daughter and her friend that it's not wise to think that everyone else on the ship is worthy of their friendship. The vast majority will be great people of course but there will be some cruisers that are just not nice. Easily and not so easily spotted

I rarely tell my girls this these days because they figured this out years ago on our 1st cruise. Lol

We’ve cruised 4 NCL ships with teens, they always found a great crew to hang out with. Our last cruise was with our 3 teens and 2 young adults, all met a lot of new friends. Dd20 and ds19 stayed together, no curfew, we signed the beer and wine waiver, plus they were legal in the Bahamas. Bermuda is beautiful and very safe.

We always had breakfast and dinner together, shows and excursions. My 2 oldest were a little concerned about aging out of the teen club, but there were young adult meet-ups. My kids are pretty social, and meeting others is one of the highlights for them when cruising - on our last one, my oldest ran into a girl they met on a previous cruise 3 years earlier.