Thomas Keller on Odyssey

margbem

I didn't have ribs in the TK Grill. There are a number of things on the menu (steak, fish, eggplant parmigiana, various specials) . I also don't remember wine being served in tumblers. Our wine was served in regular wine glasses in the Grill.

The side dishes were served family style, but the plates were not large.

I really don't think that your fears are well founded here.

Don't like ribs, big plates of food in the middle of the table, wine in tumblers etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What you’re describing here is the TK style as presented in The Colonnade. The Grill is located in the former Restaurant 2 and it is much different. Give it a try!

We had a dismal time in the TK grill on Odyssey recently - however, do try it. Recommendations are:- try not to have one of the crushed up tables for 2 on the left hand side of the room. The Dover sole is apparently very good. The 'tableside preparation' of a Caesar salad did not work for me - possibly an inexperienced server, but it was mainly leaves and vinegary dressing. The vegetable dishes were good; the icecream dessert a very large standard dish you could have anywhere, others might be more interesting. We did not opt to try the grill again. I feel sure that at least the seating arrangements on the Encore are more spacious and comfortable.

On our recent Odyssey cruise we dined at the TK Grill twice and enjoyed it very much. Both times we were supposed to be at a table for four, sharing, but the other couple failed to show up. As a result we had a very pleasant, large booth for two.

We found the New York Strip and the Dover Sole to be excellent. We also had the Caesar salad to be great, I suspect that could vary by server since it is prepared table side.

The chicken and rib dinners are served in the Collenade not the TK Grill.

As others have said, give it a try!

On our recent Odyssey cruise we dined at the TK Grill twice and enjoyed it very much. Both times we were supposed to be at a table for four, sharing, but the other couple failed to show up. As a result we had a very pleasant, large booth for two.

We found the New York Strip and the Dover Sole to be excellent. We also had the Caesar salad to be great, I suspect that could vary by server since it is prepared table side.

The chicken and rib dinners are served in the Collenade not the TK Grill.

As others have said, give it a try!

Hello Steve and Maria

We are joining the Odyssey on the 11th November and I have reserved the TK Grill. I would like your advice please

"what is New York Strip"? I was hoping they were also preparing Lobster Thermidor but perhaps I am being too hopeful;

Thank you for your really helpful reviews on your voyage on Odyssey, it will be our first time with Seabourn and our first cruise.

Maureen and Jon

We went to TK and had the worst meal of the cruise. The room was freezing, too. Lobster Thermidor is a classic dish for a reason but the superior Keller has to reimagine it as a lake of melted butter with the odd bit of frozen lobster. Consommé tasted like a stock cube.

Anyone who thinks a ship can replicate food in a New York restaurant or a French Laundry in California is mistaken. However, it might fool people unaccustomed to eating in 'fine dining' restaurants with two or more Michelin stars.

We thought TK on Seabourn was all about snobbery and branding. And pushing fancy wines.

We are on the Quest later this year and won't be dining there.

Margbem,

Obviously when it comes to dining there is no one size fits all and you may or may not enjoy the TK Grill but it might be worth checking out.

I would like to clarify some of the misconceptions about the Grill and TK dining on Seabourn as people still have it all muddled up.

At present on Quest and Odyssey the former R2 Restaurant has been converted to IMHO opinion a lovely clubby elegant space that bears little resemblance to the dark and cramped restaurant that formerly occupied this space. The R2 on Sojourn is going to be converted to the Grill in December. And on Encore, while I have not been on it, from my understanding it is a slightly larger but similarly outfitted restaurant with the addition of a popular bar. See my pic of the Quest TK Grill

The Grill menu is not the ribs, tumblers etc. menu /environment- it is a formal venue with tablecloths and a menu that recalls a classic New York steakhouse. We actually PREFER it on formal nights as it is a quiet and lovely environment with good classic food and wonderful personal service.

The Colonnade is the venue that once or twice a week transforms into the casual restaurant serving American country favorites or as Keller puts it childhood classics that are served at his land based restaurant Ad Hoc. And it is not just ribs. I think the salads are outstanding as is the potted creamy cheesecake. And don’t get me started on the cheese course. People on this board may recall how I feel about the very special Humboldt Fog served at one of these dinners. I find these dinners, as they are served family style, are most fun to do with another couple or two. And as to the tumblers, I always nicely ask for, and receive, a proper wine glass.

The other TK dishes on Seabourn are found in the Restaurant and the Patio Grill. In the Restaurant there is periodically an insert in the regular menu with a handful of supplemental dishes based on Kellers flagship restaurant , the French Laundry. These dishes are more innovative in ingredient selection and preparation. Ironically these have been my least favorite Keller dishes on Seabourn even though I am a big fan of the French Laundry. I will say the dessert of the molten chocolate cake with passion fruit purée in the Center is delicious.

And finally now and then at the Patio Grill at lunch the TK hot dog (my suggestion is order it with out all of the relish etc. topping it) and the Napa burger (specially sourced beef) are offered. The meat of the hot dog is very good as is the burger.

And as a note, I have never (not on Seabourn nor at any other restaurant) seen a Caesar salad made with vinegar and find it hard to believe they use it in the table side prep. Classic Caesar uses lemon. As to it being all leaves, a Caesar salad is just romaine lettuce leaves — with a few anchovies and croutons added when served. As to an ice cream dessert , I highly recommend instead ordering the lovely light coconut cake.

The portions at the Grill are large so we usually have them skip the crudités with dip brought at the beginning of the meal. Also I’m afraid while we usually try to go easy on bread the classic Parker House rolls are irresistible. And we often share an entree- especially if we order a steak or the lovely roasted chicken. Ironically the Dover sole was my least favorite entree. We actually liked the Grill so much we would have dined there every other night had that been possible and the only disappointment of out July Alaska cruises on Sojourn was that the space has not yet been converted from the R2 to the Grill.

. bec9855dcb616f8740b0cec748408fc2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks everyone for all the comments and advice, especially Chairsin who has clarified the situation and choices! I will request the TK grill for one evening and we'll give it a try!

Dare I add that my Caesar salad contained no anchovies, no croutons, and no discernible parmesan, which I always thought was part of the dish. The waitress serving it had, I feel sure, not done it before- she was a sweetie, but obviously nervous and should have been supervised. I did not have the Dover sole; someone at the very near next table said it was good. My lamb was correctly pink, but seemed to be covered with a completely uncooked breadcrumb/herb topping, which ruined it.

It does seem that TK is hit and miss- some dishes work apparently but some do not. We had his lobster dish in the dining room, quite some time ago, and it was served deliberately tepid, and was essentially soup with bits of unlovely lobster floating in it. Most people thought it was awful, and for this or some other reason it does not seem to be being served currently.

Sailing on the Odyssey on 11/11.

Two questions:

1-does anyone have a copy of the TK menu?

2- Right now, it looks like we can make reservations any night of a the cruise. Are we limited to one night only? Its a 12 day itinerary. I’m assuming that TK isn’t as popular as SB had hoped. Deciding which night to choose depends (for us) more on what’s offered in the MDR. Is there any way to know in advance the menus for the MDR?

Thanks

Steve,

Go to the Luxury Cruising thread and fine one from 7/24 started by Laura titled “the Grill by Thomas Keller on Seabourn Cruiseline (including menu)”. I don’t seem to be able to post the link. Anyway, you can find the fully menu there.

As to popularity all I can tell you is that on our Antarctica cruise there was always a waitlist to get into the Grill. As to how often you can go it varies by cruise length. I would make one reservation before you get on the ship and when you embark ask the F&B Manager how many visits you are allowed. And if you enjoy it and exceed your allotment you can always ask to be put on the wait list. Sometimes people cancel at the last minute and more than once the hostess came and found us in the Obs Bar to tell us there was an opening if we were interested.

We were on the Quest and booked one TK dinner whilst we were having our embarkation lunch.

We enjoyed it for the experience and the food... theatre , presentation....the Dover Sole was especially good.

We were invited to go on a waitlist for another night, however we enjoyed the Restaurant particularly, and were spoilt for menu choice on each evening.

In my opinion each and every meal at all locations proved to be a great dining experienceon the Quest.

Greta.

We just got off the Quest a few weeks ago and agree the food/service was exceptional. I like the bone in Veal, my wife the Lobster Thermidor. We actually enjoy the TK menus in the MDR and the family style in The Colonnade as well. We have not been to the French Laundry, but have been to Per Se in NY, so yes we are fans of TK.

When you cruise on the Encore be sure to eat at the TK Grill and get there early, the lounge is very nice. The have live piano music and nice whiskies/wine selection.

One thing I would like to see is a menu change at least once during a longer, 10+ days cruise. I know they only want you to go once, but almost every time we have eaten there it is not full. Just a thought. Cheers

This was the exact same menu 2 weeks ago on Odyssey, however the mashed potatoes said "crème fraiche"

The NY Strip was very very good. Macaroni and Cheese was good, but salty. Tableside Caesar was ok.

Chocolate cake and lemon tarte were very good.

Note they do want you to buy expensive wines as the menu does not show included wines, but you may opt for the many choices of complimentary wines which are available.

The staff were extremely friendly, service excellent. It's just a steakhouse, like eating at the Palm.

Currently on the Quest, where we are apparently going to remain in St. John New Brunswick for 3 (!) nights because of the weather. Ate at TK Grill the other night and felt the Caesar salad had too much dressing and everything else had too much butter - especially the sole. When I was on the Quest in January, the same items were not so over sauced/buttered and the sole was exquisite. We’re going back in a couple of days and will ask to have them use a more judicious hand when finishing the dishes. Linda

I would like your advice please

"what is New York Strip"?

Maureen and Jon

Hello MandJ. I cannot see if anybody actually answered your question, so I shall seek to do so. Different cuts of meat - especially beef - have varying names between UK, America and elsewhere. My understanding of the strip steak, which is cut from the short loin (behind the ribs and towards the rear of the cow), is what we in UK call sirloin and the French call faux-filet. But American chefs and menus use sirloin to describe what we more normally think of as rump steak.

Hope that helps. You'll love it - but take care if you have a normal European-sized appetite you may well find the Keller Grill portions (especially the steaks and chops) rather large! On Quest this year, after our first experience, we tended to order a shared main course in most cases and found this perfectly adequate for our appetites.

They were still serving lobster in the grill - but, unfortunately, not Thermidor - more a kind of risotto.

Further point - if you have not yet found out about a $400 on board credit as first time Seabourners, check the thread at the top of this section.

I am sure you will love Seabourn - after 200 days we still do.

Best wishes

We are now on Silver Whisper with 2 nights in Halifax. Expect to leave tomorrow for NY, arriving there Weds for Thurs morning disembarkation, missing Portland, Boston and Newport. And we missed Isles Madeleine due to swells.

Never mind!

Take care of Quest for us. We will be with her in Chile in Dec for the Antarctica cruise!

Happy and healthy sailing?

Ps- I will write a review of Whisper vs Seabourn’s OSQ ships soon.

I would like your advice please

"what is New York Strip"?

Maureen and Jon

Hello MandJ. I cannot see if anybody actually answered your question, so I shall seek to do so. Different cuts of meat - especially beef - have varying names between UK, America and elsewhere. My understanding of the strip steak, which is cut from the short loin (behind the ribs and towards the rear of the cow), is what we in UK call sirloin and the French call faux-filet. But American chefs and menus use sirloin to describe what we more normally think of as rump steak.

Hope that helps. You'll love it - but take care if you have a normal European-sized appetite you may well find the Keller Grill portions (especially the steaks and chops) rather large! On Quest this year, after our first experience, we tended to order a shared main course in most cases and found this perfectly adequate for our appetites.

They were still serving lobster in the grill - but, unfortunately, not Thermidor - more a kind of risotto.

Further point - if you have not yet found out about a $400 on board credit as first time Seabourners, check the thread at the top of this section.

I am sure you will love Seabourn - after 200 days we still do.

Best wishes

I defer to your knowledge of cow anatomy and butchering, but can add a further detail: 'New York' strip means boneless. 'Kansas City' strip is on the bone. This isn't universal, and apparently in KC you will find strip steaks both with and without the bone, and here in NY we generally call the boneless version a 'shell steak' -- but elsewhere I believe the geographical terms are applied in this way as a shorthand. Anytime you see food with a geographic adjective, you can guess that the locals do not call it that [e.g. 'English muffins']

From Wikipedia -- The strip steak is a cut of beefsteaks from the short loin from a cow. It consists of a muscle that does little work, the longissimus, making the meat particularly tender; although not as tender as the nearby psoas major or tenderloin. Fat content of the strip is somewhere between the two cuts. Unlike the tenderloin, the longissimus is a sizable muscle, allowing it to be cut into larger portions.

According to the National Cattlemen's Beef Association, the steak is marketed under various names, including Ambassador Steak, Boneless Club Steak, Hotel-Style Steak, Kansas City Steak, New York Steak, and Veiny Steak.

In New Zealand and Australia, it is known as Porterhouse and Sirloin (striploin steak) and can be found in the Handbook of Australian Meat under codes 2140 to 2143.

In the UK and Ireland it is called sirloin.

In Canada, most meat purveyors refer to this cut as a strip loin; in French it is known as contre-filet.