Alcohol - bringing on ship

Scottygirl1

I've even witnessed a small group bringing on a number of wine boxes.

Perhaps someone can confirm this goes on regularly.

I'm not sure whether you're referring to a boxed case (i.e., 12 bottles) or someone carrying one of those 3 liter wine boxes. Either way, so what?

It is not the Wine Petrols. As in my Faith ..moderation is the key word..eh..

On boarding with CCL/CUK :NYSE /LSE on any of the Cruise Lines including Cunard I have never had a problem on Embarking and or any Port of Call !

Yes many of the needs in Revenues are generated now especially the Major Cruise Line HQ actually in Asia with those Three Letters which I cry a tear for Norway as it is nothing as that great country and allie is at all.

That one is even not allowing Bottled Water nor soda-pop either.

Here in New Jersey we have no TaX nor deposits/fees on bottles/cans/containers!

Cunard HQ in the Princess building in California, Los Angeles County and where Harry Carey II lived. They said " Unlimited Water/Soda-pop "may be brought aboard too.

So yes IMHO Cunard is a few thousand percent better ! It is not a Nickel and Dime line!

I was the original poster of this thread so thought I'd let you know how we got on - perfectly fine! We took some wine in our bag and also in our carry on. No problem at all. We then emptied the refrigerator in the room (steward couldn't take it away so we stashed it in a cupboard) and restocked it with our wine. Certainly an aspect of any cruise ship that we like, the ability to take on some wine of our own.

I was the original poster of this thread so thought I'd let you know how we got on - perfectly fine! We took some wine in our bag and also in our carry on. No problem at all. We then emptied the refrigerator in the room (steward couldn't take it away so we stashed it in a cupboard) and restocked it with our wine. Certainly an aspect of any cruise ship that we like, the ability to take on some wine of our own.

I was going to ask how you got on so thanks for the update. We are sailing to Hamburg on the QE in May and I will be taking my G & T's with me :D

Just completed Southampton to Melbourne on QM2. We took 12 bottles of wine onboard in our hand luggage. No problem. We are happy to pay the corkage charge in the restaurant.

Supplemented with some amazing South African wines from a ships tour and Australian in Adelaide.

We received a voucher for 10% off spirits a couple of days out of Southampton and took 2 bottles back to the cabin.

• 2 weeks later...

---- I know it's tongue in cheek, but I have heard that if you can fit it in your CABIN it's OK to bring it on. Seriously, I have never seen or heard of anyone ever having any problem with bringing any amount of liquor on board.

This is good news if we decide to go with Cunard as doing a Transatlantic would stop us doing our usual port buying and my husband would be thrilled to bring on his favourite whisky.

Do you think they would be more suspicious of us due to out age? (30)

• 1 month later...

On our qm2 sailing last year I bought a bottle of vodka in their shop on day 3 and was able to take it to my room right then. At first I thought they were joking but I was very pleasantly surprised!!!!

My friend puts vodka with blue food colouring in empty listerine bottles.

If you don't mind slightly minty clear spirits then you're on to a winner!!!

Hardly necessary. We brought gin onboard. Heavily disguised in a Tanqueray gin bottle ;)

My friend puts vodka with blue food colouring in empty listerine bottles.

If you don't mind slightly minty clear spirits then you're on to a winner!!!

There is no need to resort to smuggling on Cunard, they treat their passengers like adults.

• 6 months later...

G'day ,

We are cruising on Queen Elizabeth from San Francisco Feb. 18' .

Are we allowed to bring on board on embarkation a few beers + extra bottles of wine?

According to previous posts this was still possible in moderation obviously.

Many thanks Zakkary.

Currently on QE and have never known any ship be so quiet in the bars in the evenings i.e pre dinner drinks or after the shows. Talking to many it is because of the recent price increase in drinks prices and seems many are going back to their staterooms and drinking alcochol bought onboard at Southampton. Can see if it stayts like this and is the same on other ships that Cunard will soon stop the bringing of alcohol onboard in line with many other cruise lines.

Currently on QE and have never known any ship be so quiet in the bars in the evenings i.e pre dinner drinks or after the shows. Talking to many it is because of the recent price increase in drinks prices and seems many are going back to their staterooms and drinking alcochol bought onboard at Southampton. Can see if it stayts like this and is the same on other ships that Cunard will soon stop the bringing of alcohol onboard in line with many other cruise lines.

On my recent fortnight aboard the QM2 the bars seemed as crowded as ever prior to the Britannia second sitting. We frequently could not find seats in our two favourite rooms: Commodore Club and the Chart Room. One of the reasons we now choose second sitting is that it has been very difficult getting a pre-dinner drink prior to the first sitting when no-one is at dinner. At least there is a chance when half the ship is dining. I don't know how crowded the Grills lounge was; in the past it was always crowded prior to dinner but we were always able to get a seat.

I would expect the rather steep prices (especially for those of us whose credit card bill will be in Can.$ or £) might encourage more moderation. I will admit that had we not a good amount of OBC we might not have ordered as many of those lovely $14 + 15% cocktails.:)

We found the same, spend our evenings dancing so don’t drink much anyway but definitely lacked atmosphere in the ship in the evening and people weren’t drinking wine at our table apart from us as they said it was too expensive. Such a shame as Cunard is not a ship for big drinkers anyway in our experience but it is nice to have people around enjoying themselves. We enjoyed a pre dinner drink in the midship bar and that was nice but still not full. Commodores was nice but plenty of empty seats. Come on Cunard please take note that many peoples budgets just can’t afford these prices and in principle many won’t pay them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We found the same, spend our evenings dancing so don’t drink much anyway but definitely lacked atmosphere in the ship in the evening and people weren’t drinking wine at our table apart from us as they said it was too expensive. Such a shame as Cunard is not a ship for big drinkers anyway in our experience but it is nice to have people around enjoying themselves. We enjoyed a pre dinner drink in the midship bar and that was nice but still not full. Commodores was nice but plenty of empty seats. Come on Cunard please take note that many peoples budgets just can’t afford these prices and in principle many won’t pay them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wine when dining too expensive?

Well here's a tipoff for the best value wine, it's the Cunard Amarone (there's only one on the Wine List - number sixty something). It's about the same price as if one purchased the wine in an Italian Supermarket, and then paid the Table corkage. Also a nice, reasonably priced, red for the table.

Have no problem with the drink prices. We are on a cruise and just wish to enjoy the total experience, without having to spend time counting pennies.