New embarkation system

P&O SUE

Hello all, can someone explain to me how the system now works with registering a credit card on embarkation.

I’ve seen a few posts on Facebook but sometimes information is not clear there! Apparently you have to put your pin in now when you register your card.

One poor person has had problems as the system is having teething problems and doesn’t seem to ‘like’ Barclaycards! She couldn’t buy anything from the shops and bars onboard.

Anyone had recent experience please? I’ve not had any information from P&O about this and my next cruise is on February.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You check in as normal but instead of the check in staff swiping your card as they used to do you put your card into the card reader and enter your pin just as if you were purchasing anything at home,they take £50.00 from your card and you then carry on as normal,I’ve not had any problems but one passenger in the next line couldn’t get his card to register.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks both for your replies! Hmm sounds like fun if it doesn't work! I normally go with my husband and he registers his card :cool: but next year I'm going with a friend so I'd better take a couple in case one doesn't work!

I pity people who only take one or only have one and it doesn't work! I normally don't carry much cash also.

You check in as normal but instead of the check in staff swiping your card as they used to do you put your card into the card reader and enter your pin just as if you were purchasing anything at home,they take £50.00 from your card and you then carry on as normal,I’ve not had any problems but one passenger in the next line couldn’t get his card to register.

Another thought - what if you spend less than £50? We had such a good deal on OBC last year our final bill was £30! Not that I anticipate that happening again in the near future!

Another thought - what if you spend less than £50? We had such a good deal on OBC last year our final bill was £30! Not that I anticipate that happening again in the near future!

I imagine they will give any surplus back after the cruise I’ve never been that lucky lol [emoji23]

The £50 is not charged to your card. It is a pre authorisation to ensure you have the funds to pay.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/fleet/pay_onboard

If your on board spend exceeds £50, then your preauthorisation is increased on a daily basis.

Your credit card is only charged at the end of your cruise.

Brian

This could be interesting. When we embark on Britannia next March my daughter and her family go to priority boarding due to my grandsons disability. My wife, son and I go through normal boarding.

However, my daughter will be registering their cabin against my credit card but I won't be in the same queue.

Hmmm. I wonder how this is going to work?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

This could be interesting. When we embark on Britannia next March my daughter and her family go to priority boarding due to my grandsons disability. My wife, son and I go through normal boarding.

However, my daughter will be registering their cabin against my credit card but I won't be in the same queue.

Hmmm. I wonder how this is going to work?

I would just tell that to the person giving out the embarkation cards and say we have to check in together

This sounds a bit worrying. DH always uses his credit card at checkin for us both, so what will happen if it won’t register - not our fault but the “system”.? I don’t want to take my card and DH only has the one.

Should we be worried?

I wouldn’t worry they will get it sorted on the ship

I would just tell that to the person giving out the embarkation cards and say we have to check in together

We tried to arrange embarkation together for this on the phone and email with P&O but they refused point blank. They would only allow my daughter's family (3 of them) to embark together as priority.

We tried to arrange embarkation together for this on the phone and email with P&O but they refused point blank. They would only allow my daughter's family (3 of them) to embark together as priority.

I would have thought you could all check in at the same time especially as you are only using one card you might not all get on the ship at the same time especially if your daughters family have priority boarding.as I said earlier just tell the person handing out the cards your circumstances I’m sure they will try to help as it’s in their interest to get everybody on ASAP [emoji3]

Just to be clear, being disabled does not get you ‘priority’ boarding. You only get that if you are in a suite or Caribbean tier or above loyalty status. I think you are referring to ‘Assisted Embarkation’ where a wheelchair pusher is provided. As people awaiting that service are held in a small area, extended groups cannot all wait here. It is important to note that Assisted Embarkation does not necessarily get you on board quicker. People are generally still boarded in order of boarding time as and when ‘pushers’ are available. Sometimes it’s quicker and sometimes not because, sadlly, it is abused by people who don’t really need it but think that it’s a short cut.

Given the size of your group, I would suggest that you all stay together and do not use Assisted Embarkation. It sounds as though there are enough people to be able to free up one person to push the wheelchair, that way you can all check in together and link the card to all passengers.

I should clarify that my wife is a wheelchair user and we often bypass Assisted Embarkation and Disembarkation for the reasons described above.

The £50 is not charged to your card. It is a pre authorisation to ensure you have the funds to pay.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/fleet/pay_onboard

If your on board spend exceeds £50, then your preauthorisation is increased on a daily basis.

Your credit card is only charged at the end of your cruise.

Brian

Thanks Brian, I did try and search on the P&O site but their FAQ aren’t as user friendly as they used to be!

We just checked in and entered a pin, no problems. I didn’t see others having problems either.

Good to know thanks Florry, the thought of only being able to have water and coffee on board was making me feel a bit worried!:D

Other than having to enter your pin, there is no change to the system. There has always been pre-authorisation as long as I can remember.

I suspect that the reason for entering a pin is to ensure it is actually your card and not a borrowed or stolen card.

Brian

Cruised in August and October

Entered PIN @ check in at Southampton

No problems at all

Don’t worry

Other than having to enter your pin, there is no change to the system. There has always been pre-authorisation as long as I can remember.

I suspect that the reason for entering a pin is to ensure it is actually your card and not a borrowed or stolen card.

Brian

Thanks both, I had hoped it was basically the same as I've done before but this lady on Facebook had problems with a Barclays card, luckily I bank with a different bank. At every bar she was getting card declined messages! Very upsetting I should imagine.

Thanks both, I had hoped it was basically the same as I've done before but this lady on Facebook had problems with a Barclays card, luckily I bank with a different bank. At every bar she was getting card declined messages! Very upsetting I should imagine.

Sounds like some mixed messages here, if she was trying to use her credit card at a bar on board then she obviously didn't understand the system. If they were bars ashore then there was something wrong with her card.

Either way, the process is no different to any card based transaction and nothing to get worried about.