Your Thoughts On Riding An Elephant, Please

DaisyRose

Have you ever ridden a horse or donkey? It’s no different except larger.

Elephants are used as work animals in Thailand, and are use to humans riding them. They are treated humanely.

How much do you weigh and do you have any medical conditions?

You should have nothing to worry about. I’ve done it many times.

Enjoy your ride. :)

This is how elephants are treated "humanely" in order to let tourists ride them or to do work.

I purposely selected this video and not one of the many available that show even a lot more cruelty. This one should be enough to show that elephants are not meant to be an attraction similar to a zipride.

The elephant you'd sit on really doesn't hope to get another beautiful human-elephant bonding experience every time a ship arrives, but may remember the day he was captured, tortured for a while and maybe even understand that carrying around naive tourists is their destiny if he doesn't want to get beaten again.

I really don't understand why a cruiseline would offer this kind of excursion. It's a shame.

So disappointed that this tour is even offered... hopefully as pax stop booking it, it will be faised out.

We never take tours that involve animals , their welfare are rarely taken in consideration and they are terribly exploited.

That goes for Seaworld type parks, swimming with dolphins, sled dogs, etc.

I was in Siam and saw a pair of the captive baby elephants. Being that the elephants were Siamese, they were attached at the end of their trunks. When they had to sneeze they couldn’t go achoo like the other elephants, they could only go bleezeka.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

MrMan,

How old are you?

So, just curious, when was the last time you visited Siam?

Because Siam was renamed Thailand in 1949! :D

https://www.historytoday.com/richard-cavendish/siam-officially-renamed-thailand

God willing, enjoy your next cruise. :)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Being a bit suspicious about elephant rides is entirely justified. Elephants are "tamed" (a better word would be "tortured") to allow people to ride them. Elephants are different from horses. I hope they also offer tours that bring you close to elephants in the wild, which I know is an experience that you will never forget :)

Don’t people of certain cultures eat domesticated horses, cattle, dogs, cats, kangaroo, baby cows, baby lambs, monkeys, other mammals, and sea life. That must be cruel as well. Animals and sea creatures have feelings, and it must be horrible for them at the moment when they are being slaughtered by humans.

I read in some culture a live monkey’s head is placed in a hole in a dinner table, then have their head split open for diner guests to feast on the monkey’s brain.

And in certain European western cultures it is common to serve horse meat, baby lamb, baby cows, or kangaroo at gourmet restaurants in countries like France, Australia, New Zealand, USA, and UK.

Maybe cruisers/tourists should boycott those countries and not support those cultures that are cruel to animals?

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Hello,

I'm booked on a Princess cruise in Asia, and have been looking at the shore excursions offered. A number of them include an elephant ride. It sounds both exciting and scary to me. But I'm mainly wondering about the ethics involved. Is this hard on the elephants? Are they treated well? I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has knowledge of this subject. Thank you in advance.

PLEASE don’t ride any elephants:loudcry:

Don’t people of certain cultures eat domesticated horses, cattle, dogs, cats, kangaroo, baby cows, baby lambs, monkeys, other mammals, and sea life. That must be cruel as well. Animals and sea creatures have feelings, and it must be horrible for them at the moment when they are being slaughtered by humans.

I read in some culture a live monkey’s head is placed in a hole in a dinner table, then have their head split open for diner guests to feast on the monkey’s brain.

And in certain European western cultures it is common to serve horse meat, baby lamb, baby cows, or kangaroo at gourmet restaurants in countries like France, Australia, New Zealand, USA, and UK.

Maybe cruisers/tourists should boycott those countries and not support those cultures that are cruel to animals?

Enjoy your cruise.

Sorry but your post is ridiculous. We are NOT saying to boycott the country or city. We are saying don’t ride on an elephant because its abusive to the animal. It has nothing to do with their culture it’s a matter of whether or not you want to contribute to being abusive to an animal. If I go to China I’m not going to eat a dog just because it might be their culture. Some Mexicans excuse cock fighting as ok because it's their culture but it's very abusive and illegal in the states.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello,

I'm booked on a Princess cruise in Asia, and have been looking at the shore excursions offered. A number of them include an elephant ride. It sounds both exciting and scary to me. But I'm mainly wondering about the ethics involved. Is this hard on the elephants? Are they treated well? I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has knowledge of this subject. Thank you in advance.

PLEASE think twice about visiting Thailand. Thailand is one of the worst counties in the world supporting human trafficking. Worse than their abuse of elephants. Do not take any shore excursions offered in Thailand. Stay aboard the ship. It’s morally, the right thing to do.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_trafficking_in_Thailand

God willing, enjoy your cruise. :)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Hello again, all. I am the OP. I thank everyone again for all of the responses. I didn't know, had some suspicions, and so I asked and I was quickly educated. So as I previously posted, after getting so much good information from my Cruise Critic friends, I am able to make an informed decision and I definitely will not be going on any excursions that involve riding an elephant.

I have not ridden on an elephant on a Princess Excursion. My mother, I and my then young children rode elephants at a local wildlife park. We were able to interact with the elephant caretakers and see the facility prior to the ride. If you really want to ride an elephant, that might be a better option than a cruise excursion.

I respectfully disagree with some of the responses that advise not to ever do an elephant trek. I have rode on elephants in Thailand and Laos but only after researching the outfit to understand how they treat their animals. My understanding is that elephants, much like horses, donkeys, and other larger animals, are able to carry the weight of one or two humans without harm. I think it is all in the way they are treated by their handlers. I would hope, but not assume, that cruise lines would do this research and only contract with reputable tour companies.

You can usually determine how the animals are treated by looking them over. Do they look healthy? Are they well fed? Are they over-worked? Are they given sufficient breaks? Are there vets on site? In Laos, there was an "elephant hospital" on site where they had detailed records of the care, feeding, and work schedule for each elephant. I wouldn't ride an elephant that appeared unhealthy.

I did an elephant trek in a Thai jungle and rode an elephant across a river in Laos. Both were among the most exciting travel experiences I've ever had and wouldn't hesitate to do again.

Just my two cents on the matter....

So disappointed that this tour is even offered... hopefully as pax stop booking it, it will be faised out.

We never take tours that involve animals , their welfare are rarely taken in consideration and they are terribly exploited.

Wondered if sled dogs would get pulled in....I have a few words on that subject.....I have sled dogs....they love to run, they love to race....they live on the couch...right now I have 3of them on the bed....they love to run 150 miles a day...and eat 20,000 KC a day.....all of them have done 1,000 mile races....all but one...he wasn’t interested so he didn’t go....they tell you, and you can’t make a sled dog run, if it doesn’t want too...BTW, sled dogs develop a telepathy with their owners....please don’t put sled dogs in the same category as elephants...

My sister in-law did volunteer work in Thailand 5 years ago at an elepahnt sanctuary. Most of the elephants are rescued from the tourist trade where the animals "beg" in the streets for money or give rides to tourists. The photo's she brought back of these poor animals was heart breaking. Do some research on the subject and you will never want to ride an elephant. Even the weight of an average person riding on the back of an elephant will cause pain. They are not built for heavy loads on their backs.

I respectfully disagree with some of the responses that advise not to ever do an elephant trek. I have rode on elephants in Thailand and Laos but only after researching the outfit to understand how they treat their animals. My understanding is that elephants, much like horses, donkeys, and other larger animals, are able to carry the weight of one or two humans without harm. I think it is all in the way they are treated by their handlers. I would hope, but not assume, that cruise lines would do this research and only contract with reputable tour companies.

You can usually determine how the animals are treated by looking them over. Do they look healthy? Are they well fed? Are they over-worked? Are they given sufficient breaks? Are there vets on site? In Laos, there was an "elephant hospital" on site where they had detailed records of the care, feeding, and work schedule for each elephant. I wouldn't ride an elephant that appeared unhealthy.

I did an elephant trek in a Thai jungle and rode an elephant across a river in Laos. Both were among the most exciting travel experiences I've ever had and wouldn't hesitate to do again.

Just my two cents on the matter....

I agree. There are many cases of abuse and it should not be tolerated. But there are also cases where elephants are well cared for and such an experience would be well worth it.

As for the experience, having ridden an elephant multiple times as a child (Circus - so all those that oppose Ringling Brothers, Sea World etc don't bother slamming me as I was a KID in the 70's) I still remember the thrill. Elephants are smart and charming creatures and being on one makes you value them even more. So in the right environment, I would certainly take the opportunity.

Wondered if sled dogs would get pulled in....I have a few words on that subject.....I have sled dogs....they love to run, they love to race....they live on the couch...right now I have 3of them on the bed....they love to run 150 miles a day...and eat 20,000 KC a day.....all of them have done 1,000 mile races....all but one...he wasn’t interested so he didn’t go....they tell you, and you can’t make a sled dog run, if it doesn’t want too...BTW, sled dogs develop a telepathy with their owners....please don’t put sled dogs in the same category as elephants...

Thank you for posting this; I wanted to post the same thoughts, but mine would be from observation, and yours is first hand.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL ... faised out. Funny.

faised

drugs

The state of inebriation when engineers are sick and tired of doing all of their schoolwork and just go and get really drunk and high.

I agree. There are many cases of abuse and it should not be tolerated. But there are also cases where elephants are well cared for and such an experience would be well worth it.

As for the experience, having ridden an elephant multiple times as a child (Circus - so all those that oppose Ringling Brothers, Sea World etc don't bother slamming me as I was a KID in the 70's) I still remember the thrill. Elephants are smart and charming creatures and being on one makes you value them even more. So in the right environment, I would certainly take the opportunity.

I've also ridden an elephant at a zoo in New England. I really enjoyed it. I've also ridden a camel, again at the zoo. I went swimming with the dolphins. I've hand fed a giraffe and rhinos at SD animal park.

Went to the circus in 2013. Had 'backstage' pass where they had an elephant and horses, etc. I ALMOST had this elephant walk over to me. I kept talking to her and encouraging her and her trainer would see/hear me and put her hand on the elephant and stop her. Oh well, I tried.

We have just come back from an Asia cruise and did some research before hand and found out that some of the handlers make a cut on the elephant and keep the wound open so they can handle them! Also don’t ride the donkeys up the hill in Santorini either. They are treated terrible and are not built to carry 20stone plus lazy people use the cable cars or a boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the info. I didn’t know that.

But sorry, I don’t understand what you mean.

Do you mean fat overweight elephants?

And, why do they don’t look friendly, nor amenable to riding?

Is it due to bad treatment as many here have said?

And, is that what those Animal Rights PAXs here are talking about?

Hope you enjoy your next cruise.

The person is being a smartass! They're referring to pax overindulging in the buffet.