First Cruise - P&O - Drinks packages

Triciaswimming

Hi all, this is my first post. My husband and I are celebrating our 30th Anniversary in October next year and, after looking at different cruises (at great length!), we're thinking of P&O Carribean 15 night from Southampton. A couple of questions. Can experienced cruisers advise on this choice as a first cruise. We want it to be special and something we wouldn't normally do (been to the med etc) but not too pricey.

Secondly, there is no information on drinks packages on P&O. Do they have them? What do they consist of?

Thanks in anticipation of your advices. Can't want to get going!

Hi all, this is my first post. My husband and I are celebrating our 30th Anniversary in October next year and, after looking at different cruises (at great length!), we're thinking of P&O Carribean 15 night from Southampton. A couple of questions. Can experienced cruisers advise on this choice as a first cruise. We want it to be special and something we wouldn't normally do (been to the med etc) but not too pricey.

Secondly, there is no information on drinks packages on P&O. Do they have them? What do they consist of?

day Caribbean will give you an insight to whats it all about without flying , Each ship has own quirkiness . Hope you enjoy.

Re P&O Drinks packages

see

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/drinks_package

the P&O cruises to the Caribbean usually get positive reviews. You have to consider of course that you'd be happy spending a week at sea. We do a round trip every year but we have met people who having only done Western / Northern Europe don't like so many consecutive days at sea.

There are no drinks packages but P&O allows you to bring alcohol onboard (for drinking in your cabin) and they don't add 15% to every drink. We also find the prices very reasonable (hotel prices). There are wine packages however but the wine also is very reasonable / great choice so we don't think it's worth buying

day Caribbean will give you an insight to whats it all about without flying , Each ship has own quirkiness . Hope you enjoy.

Re P&O Drinks packages

see

Think you will find if its a 15nt Caribbean cruise in October as Triciaswimming states in her post that it will sail from Southampton and then you will fly back home you cannot realistically do a roundtrip from Southampton to the Caribbean in 15nts.

If you are doing a 15 day Carribean from Southampton I would think you would be flying home. The Carribean is a beautiful destination but if it were my first cruise I don't think I would choose a long Atlantic crossing. Anyway I dont think you can beat a cruuse sailing in and out of Southampton. Whatever yoy choise I'm sure you will enjoy a fabulous anniversary.

Re P&O Drinks packages

see

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Forums mobile app

I personally would not recommend a Transatlantic sailing as a first cruise mainly because of the large number of consecutive sea days. These can be a little challenging especially for a new cruiser. Also one of the thrills of cruising is opening your cabin curtains and seeing your next destination. You loose some of the impact of this on a Transatlantic.

Although you have visited the Med before please do not dismiss doing a Med cruise because of this. Doing a cruise of the Med is a very different and exciting experience. There is nothing quite like approaching a destination from the sea. It gives you a completely different perspective even if it is somewhere you have been to before. Sitting on your balcony in the sunshine sipping your morning coffee as you sail into port can not be beaten! We often say that the best veiw of anywhere is from the ship. Also October is a lovely time to go.

Where ever you decide to go I am sure you will have a lovely time, there is nothing quite like a first cruise.

Think everyone is different and what might appeals to some might not other our very first cruise we ever did back in 1997 was a transatlantic from New York to Southampton nothing but 6nts of sea and we loved it. We have done a 15nt Caribbean but we flew out and sailed back into Southampton and we had no problems because we enjoy sea days whatever cruise we are on.

Think you will find if its a 15nt Caribbean cruise in October as Triciaswimming states in her post that it will sail from Southampton and then you will fly back home you cannot realistically do a roundtrip from Southampton to the Caribbean in 15nts.

Oh Yes, Silly me .

I think it depends what you are looking for, sometimes cruises can be port intensive, Our first cruise years & years ago was on a fly/Caribbean cruise and it was a new port every day, whilst it was lovely to see all these new destinations we actually found it quite tiring and we felt we had to see each island, since then we have booked cruises that have a few sea days mainly sailing from Southampton. We are doing our first transatlantic re-positional cruise this month and we are so excited about it. We are so looking forward to the slower pace of sea days and spending time relaxing together. As its a special occasion you might want to make it more so by booking joint spa treatments and the Retreat or breakfast in bed, You don't have to be with the crowd all of the time, there are some quiet spots on the ships. Like Berlingo said nothing beats sitting in the Sunshine with a coffee/tea as you sail into port, so if you can afford it a balcony is nice. Congratulations for your forthcoming 30th Anniversary, hope you have a wonderful cruise, but be warned you could be hooked and other holidays may never seem the same again. Best wishes Viv.

We did a fly cruise to the Caribbean to celebrate our Silver Wedding Anniversary. Ours was a 14 night flying from Gatwick to Southampton and then return to Gatwick. We had a wonderful time. If this is your first cruise I think I would choose to fly both ways as it gives you much longer in the Caribbean and you don't have to have the sea days getting there. I wouldn't normally choose a fly cruise - well not these days anyway - but as it's your first you would get a real flavour of the different Caribbean islands and get to the sun quickly. As you are at the moment intending to fly one way anyway you'll still have the problem of luggage weight.

It can certainly be done within the 23kg allowed, I've done it lots of times. You just have to mix and match outfits. You can purchase extra weight if you like. I would say ask any questions on here that you like, I remember our first cruise, I really didn't know what to expect and thought it would be a one off - bad mistake. Now we have done over 20. Whatever you choose to do I hope you'll have a wonderful time.