Cabin Info - Review

Hi All!

We are first time cruisers going on the Pacific Explorer in May 2018 to New Caledonia.

We have been placed in cabins 5018 and 5020 on Deck 5. One is a quad share, the other a twin share, both Oceanview in class OG.

Can anyone give me an idea what these cabins are like in terms of being a good location on the ship with regard to ship movement being felt the most?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Hi

Strange you've had no replies since you posted this in September. We haven't been on Explorer but the principles are the same regardless of the ship. Being lower in the ship, as you are, is an advantage if the ship is rolling side-to-side. The higher you go, the greater the movement. However, you are very near the front, so you will likely be quite aware of the up and down movement as the ship cuts through waves.

On the upside, in that location and height, you may well be able to go to sleep with the soothing sound of the bow cutting back into the water after going over a wave. Personally, I found it very relaxing.

As a side tip, as first-time cruisers, if seasickness becomes an issue, don't see your cabin as the go-to location to get better. It's the worst place to be, especially if it's in a part of the ship that moves a lot. The enclosed space does nothing good for overcoming the feeling of being sick. The best thing to do is head for the centre of the ship (the pivot point) where movement is the least. Preferably, go up onto an open deck with fresh air. From that location, just don't watch the ends of the ship going up and down! :-)

Hi, have been on the Explorer twice. The cabins you have will be subject to movement and there is a good chance of motion sickness. I agree with markannab and advise that the middle of the ship is the best. My wife suffered badly on one trip but our last 2 trips she had some Avomine and it worked well.

As an added point, Don't panic about the idea of seasickness. My wife doesn't bother with seasickness tablets now. But, for the first few cruises, would take a non-drowsy one around sail away. It would be working by the time we hit open water. She could then gauge how she was going and how rough it was. Usually, she had to take only one more or, possibly, no more.