Anyone reschedualing or cancelling a Caribbean cruise this winter due to storm damage

CineGraphic

Just wondering if anyone is planning to reschedule or cancel an upcoming Caribbean cruise due to hurricane damage at some of the ports on your itinerary.

Of course this all could be moot, if Port Everglades gets slammed and is shut down for repairs.

We are booked to sail on the Crown in early December, and are thinking that it might be best to re-book for February, or maybe even wait until summer and see Alaska again.

We are booked to sail December 14 out of FLL on the Regal. Many of the ports on our trip have been damaged to put it mildly, including San Juan. That's one reason we chose this cruise.

Of course final payment is not due until the end of September. I'm wondering when Princess will make the decision to cancel the cruise or something else. The cruise is 21 days and with all the ports being hit by the hurricane, I can't imagine where we will go. I don't want to be at sea for an extended amount of time.

Hopefully, a decision will be made sooner rather then later after everything is reviewed.

Pam

If Port Everglades is undamaged and cruises are sailing, the majority of the islands will be doing everything they can to clean and open up for tourists. Why? They need the cash the tourists bring as in many cases it is a large part of their economy.

Think back to Dominica - their infrastructure was badly damaged by a hurricane 2 or 3 years ago. They did everything they could to welcome tourists back quickly. That being said, I recognize that the damage this time around is much worse so what is possible for the islands could be quite different.

My personal view is that if they are open and welcoming visitors, we should go and support them.

Just my view. Everyone needs to make their own decisions and do what they are comfortable with.

We are on the 10/7 14-day Circle Caribbean Cruise (first Princess ship out of Port Everglades this season). We have no intention of canceling. Not sure if the ship will be stopping at Princess Cays or St Thomas due to Irma, but nothing has been said yet. It's still 4 weeks away, so a lot can change between now and then.

I would wait and see what happens.

Princess may respond with some offers if you keep your current cruise knowing the itinerary will significantly change. Something like a cabin upgrade on your current cruise or 1/2 price on a future one?

If their boats can sail they are going to want to put people on them. Right after 9/11 we were offered and did a 5 Day cruise in a window view cabin for $99/pp and $49/pp pax 3 and 4. It was so cheap we did two cabins for the 4 of us. If Port Everglades gets socked this may all be a moot point.

And what nobody is saying is that hurricane season isn't over until November 30. We are all acting like this will be the last storm of the year ... :(

Very true. Jose is right behind Irma, fortunately it looks like it will miss the US anyway but the Caribbean islands may take a second hit.

Too early to tell. Will have to wait until after the storm passes. See what happens to Port Everglades and nearby hotels. Princess will find alternate stops for damaged ports or replace them with nice relaxing sea days. If damaged ports are open this winter they will need revenue from cruise ships. Will be nice to know we are part of the recovery.

There is a whole heck of s lot of the Caribbean that is - currently - completely untouched by Irma, and lots of the islands that were affected by Irma that will be up and running sooner rather than later.

Antigua, a major Princess stop, is virtually unscathed and will be open for cruise business once rhe season starts, too early to tell for St Thomas or St Maarten.. Both will be doing everything they can to cleanup and repair as quickly and safely as they can - both for themselves, and to get some tourism money flowing...

Jamaica, Caymans, and everything south if Dominica is all in perfectly fine shape, minimal or zero affect from Irma..

If St Maarten and/or St Thomas are out of okay for a while, I'd expect a switch to a more westerly and southern sailing route.

However - it's simply way, way way too early to make any kind of decision regarding such things - most islands still don't have reliable communications back up, let alone power or water for much of the areas, and assessment is just beginning.

Give it a week, a solid week at the least, before making any type of decision, especially for cruises in November or December.

There's lots of info and updates St StormCarib, along with detailed info for donating - and donating things people actually need.. Please take some time to check out the reports from locals on the islands..

Happy sails...

We are booked to sail December 14 out of FLL on the Regal. Many of the ports on our trip have been damaged to put it mildly, including San Juan. That's one reason we chose this cruise.

Of course final payment is not due until the end of September. I'm wondering when Princess will make the decision to cancel the cruise or something else. The cruise is 21 days and with all the ports being hit by the hurricane, I can't imagine where we will go. I don't want to be at sea for an extended amount of time.

Hopefully, a decision will be made sooner rather then later after everything is reviewed.

Pam

We are booked on probably the same cruise that you are referring to, but it actually leaves Ft Lauderdale on December 17., 2017.

I would wait and see what happens.

Princess may respond with some offers if you keep your current cruise knowing the itinerary will significantly change. Something like a cabin upgrade on your current cruise or 1/2 price on a future one?

If their boats can sail they are going to want to put people on them. Right after 9/11 we were offered and did a 5 Day cruise in a window view cabin for $99/pp and $49/pp pax 3 and 4. It was so cheap we did two cabins for the 4 of us. If Port Everglades gets socked this may all be a moot point.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oct 26th 10 day repo from NY to FLL

Antigua, St Maarten, and Bonaire.

Should be interesting to see where we end up. :)

Should be interesting for sure. John Heald on the Carnival FB page shared a video from St. Maarten and it looked pretty trashed along the beach. Buildings were still standing but the beach was a mess. And probably the insides of the buildings. Let us know what happens to your itinerary.

Best wishes to all who are in the path of this hurricane.

Edit: Here is another video. Looks bad. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/us/destruction-caribbean-irma-florida.html?mcubz=1

We have cyclones in Australia. When our towns are hit, they try to re-open for business as soon as they can because it is their livelihoods. They invite people back!

Cruise ships are pretty much self-sufficient, but bring passengers with much needed $$.

Check your closets; do you have good quality clothing,towels and bedding you aren't using? Lighten-up, pack-up and bring to hand out at port. Just find a local church on the island and it will be passed-on to some-one in need.

Edited by Aussiemate
typos

that's where we are going for Thanksgiving.

I hate sea days on Princess. They are very boring if you have a kid and it's raining.

Our three grandchildren are anxiously looking forward to their first cruise.

They love rainy days, stomping in puddles, making mud pies and just being kids

Even rain on the beach does not disappoint them.

We will all have a great time no matter where the Regal stops.

Howard

We're looking forward to our Nov 30th 10-day and recognize that we may not visit some ports, or may visit others not on our original itinerary. It's still a Caribbean cruise so we're good, and we're happy to have an opportunity to contribute cash to the local economies.

I'd be surprised if ships will be able to berth at St Maarten for this coming season.

I'll bet those cats will bust their asses to get that port open. With upwards of 10000 pale, over fed Americans and Brits arriving daily throughout the winter months, that has to be a top priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums